Illinois 24, Purdue 6 POSTGAME

Deleted member 654622

D
Two weeks ago I was resigned to the idea Lovie has to go and we have to start over with a new coach. Never been so happy to be wrong. I was really impressed with how the team approached this game. Used our running strength to our advantage. And our defensive pass coverage was better than I remember seeing in awhile. Linebackers were dropping into passing lanes. Defensive line was solid against run and pass. Adams with the big pick 6.
I haven’t been this optimistic about Illini football in a long time. For the team I think confidence is showing also. We don’t make every play but, now we have confidence to make the next one.
The past few games the D line has def stepped up its game. The rest of the D has followed. Need to keep that production going

Deleted member 533939

D
Click management question: In the 4th quarter, Illinois was lined up to punt from the Purdue 37. They took a delay of game penalty to give the punter additional room, but Purdue declined it. The play clock reset and the game clock continued to run. Illinois then punts (a great one). But why would you snap the ball? Just keep taking the delay of game penalty until either Purdue acquiesces to the 5 yards or the clock runs out. This isn't just a Lovie thing, I've seen other coaches screw up this simple concept.

Deleted member 524120

D
Great win by Illini today. All the haters go "f" off." I said it a few weeks ago get rid of him and staff, after Minnesota game.
But they have gotten better each week, equaling more wins. Kudos to players and staff keep it going. Purdue has killed the last 2 season. Great execution and defense. On to Rutgers!

Deleted member 524120

D
They Purdue called a time out on that last punt, re watch the game. After penalty.

I love the crow people are eating 2 weeks in a row. We are a better team and these kids and coaches deserve respect.
I think that everyone on this board would like an extra serving of that crow because nobody wants this team to win more than the people here or......we wouldn't be on here. That said, up until halftime of the Michigan game, things were looking bleak. Lovie must have given one heck of a halftime speech because they played 10 consecutive outstanding quarters of football. I think a lot has to do with confidence. Once you clear the first hurdle, the rest don't look as high. These kids have eyes and ears and I'm sure at some point, all of the....."Illinois hasn't done <this> since......" wore them down.

I don't care how good the coach is in regards to X's and O's, if the confidence isn't there, the results won't be either. There's only so many..."we're a good football team" speeches he could give to us before it wears thin.

Turns out....he was right! To say that you saw us beating Wisconsin and going to Purdue and winning....three weeks ago, you'd be lying. Turns out that our worst loss of the season(score wise) was to a really fine football team(Minnesota) on the road. I was really bummed out, but now.....not a bad loss whatsoever.

It's absolutely incredible what has transpired here. I'm so happy for him and those boys. Hopefully we can get some butts in those seats and get into a bowl game to finish this season off. Four games to play and we're all still fully engaged. That's awesome.

100%. To be honest, anyone who was NOT deeply concerned about a future under Lovie two weeks ago did not have the best interest of the program in mind. Nobody could have predicted the Wisconsin outcome, and that has clearly given a new mindset to the team.
Whoa - you’re wrong there. Asmussen called the Wisky win in that morning’s paper. At least one called it on Illini Board. And - unlike Dude and others (even Robert), a few here steadfastly defended the process even as you and dozens of others had written Lovie off as incompetent. So let’s not re-write history.

Click management question: In the 4th quarter, Illinois was lined up to punt from the Purdue 37. They took a delay of game penalty to give the punter additional room, but Purdue declined it. The play clock reset and the game clock continued to run. Illinois then punts (a great one). But why would you snap the ball? Just keep taking the delay of game penalty until either Purdue acquiesces to the 5 yards or the clock runs out. This isn't just a Lovie thing, I've seen other coaches screw up this simple concept.

Do it once, it’s a choice the other team has to make.

Do it twice: they hit you with an unsportsmanlike penalty.

I’m thinking I may have misjudged Sydney Brown. Perhaps the injury and lack of practice time hindered him more than I cared to factor. I rewatched the day this morning, Sydney was lights out yesterday and he played a solid game last Saturday as well. The light has started to come on for him and circumstances that held this flip back early in the season and ones I clearly missed, that’s on me.

That said, the positive effect we’ve seen in the secondary as of late can also be very heavily attributed to getting Quan Martin out of the mix in favor of Devon and Tony. The difference we’ve seen in assignment play, positioning, QB awareness and hand usage is essentially night and day. Took us a while to find and decide on the right personnel but we have and it’s paying huge dividends.

Whoa - you’re wrong there. Asmussen called the Wisky win in that morning’s paper. At least one called it on Illini Board. And - unlike Dude and others (even Robert), a few here steadfastly defended the process even as you and dozens of others had written Lovie off as incompetent. So let’s not re-write history.

Wow. What overwhelming evidence against what I had to say. This is called hindsight. It’s easy for Asmussen to predict a victory. If they do win, he still has a job. If they lose, he has a job. My point remains: anyone who wanted to see Lovie stick around after this season when we were 2-4 with a loss to a bad EMU team and had given up 700 yards to an average Nebraska team either doesn’t understand how fan bases react to mediocrity or has settled for horrible football. The point is currently moot, but let’s go easy on all of the “I told you so—how dare you doubt this team!” posts.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I don't care how good the coach is in regards to X's and O's, if the confidence isn't there, the results won't be either. There's only so many..."we're a good football team" speeches he could give to us before it wears thin.

Turns out....he was right! To say that you saw us beating Wisconsin and going to Purdue and winning....three weeks ago, you'd be lying. Turns out that our worst loss of the season(score wise) was to a really fine football team(Minnesota) on the road. I was really bummed out, but now.....not a bad loss whatsoever.

I think the idea of confidence can’t be overstated. It’s why my buddy was predicting a win against Minny and I couldn’t see it. Minny was playing with confidence and still is. Once you establish confidence in yourself, your teammates, your coaches, the process, the schemes...etc, look out. You are a dangerous team.

Minny looked to be the worst 4-0 program out there after barely beating a couple lower level programs in the non-con. Now they have taken care of business (albeit against the lower level teams of the B1G) and are 8-0.

They may still be one of the worst undefeated teams in the country, but they are having fun and playing with tons of confidence.

I’m interested to see if they can keep up with Penn State/Wisky in Minny or pull one out at Iowa.

There schedule sets up NICELY for them to make a run at the B1G West.

Deleted member 654622

D
Honestly I don't take it as a jab that you are calling me out here. But you are painting an incorrect picture. Up until the Nebraska game, you would be hard pressed to find a more consistent poster that was defending Lovie and the current process. Three years of blind loyalty, to be fed Eastern Michigan was enough for me to go dark side. And I don't hang my head for it

I've been very critical, probably to a fault, of how the football program seemed to have floundered during the 4 game losing streak earlier this season. The makings of a program changing turn about appear to be manifesting themselves as of late. I will happily scarf down my ration of crow. As superficial as it sometimes seems to be the success of the Illini most definitely adds a bit to the quality of my life and puts a smile on all of our faces.

When Lovie and the Illini get their post season bowl bid I will not hesitate to set down to another huge helping of crow and admit how wrong headed I've been.

Hail to the Orange & Blue!!!

Watching the game back, we might have to start discussing whether or not Kendrick Green could leave us early for the NFL Draft. That is kid way too good. 2 monster blocks on Dre’s two longest runs.

I was dancing around the floor after Wisconsin--mainly because I haven't learned to dance on the walls yet. After Purdue, it was a solid fist pump. After Rutgers, I'm looking for a satisfied smile, then head to the hotel where I hope we can get volleyball on the teevee.

I think the idea of confidence can’t be overstated. It’s why my buddy was predicting a win against Minny and I couldn’t see it. Minny was playing with confidence and still is. Once you establish confidence in yourself, your teammates, your coaches, the process, the schemes...etc, look out. You are a dangerous team.

Minny looked to be the worst 4-0 program out there after barely beating a couple lower level programs in the non-con. Now they have taken care of business (albeit against the lower level teams of the B1G) and are 8-0.

They may still be one of the worst undefeated teams in the country, but they are having fun and playing with tons of confidence.

I’m interested to see if they can keep up with Penn State/Wisky in Minny or pull one out at Iowa.

There schedule sets up NICELY for them to make a run at the B1G West.

I feel we're very similar to Minny. Both teams took lumps with younger players the last few years. And both seemed to have turned the proverbial corner this season. They just did it a few games sooner, and were able to squeak out wins before turning. I always thought we'd both be at or near the top of the standings at the end of the season. Still do.