Illinois 24, Purdue 6 POSTGAME

We threw the ball downfield a few times, as Dude and Twangers said, in the MI and WI games. Made a huge difference! Defensive coaches always worry about getting beat deep down the field. That threat has very positively impacted the O.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Lovie is in practice every day and he said we were getting close. 3rd Qtr Michigan have the guys the faith in themselves to do what we see today. Same team as earlier this year.

"They did absolutely nothing special," Brohm said of the Illini's defense. "They played us quarters coverage on first and second down and cover 2 (on long distances). Really, the same things that Iowa was in – 'you’re going to have to run the ball to beat us.'

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2019/10/26/illinois-dominates-purdue-football-24-6/4086697002/

I was watching a documentary recently on Jefferson Davis and there was an interesting quote from one of the featured historians about the turning of the tide in the Civil War being directly related to the personalities and the leadership qualities of the two heads of state, Lincoln and Davis. The quote was loosely this "Abraham Lincoln wanted to win. Jefferson Davis wanted to be right".

Jeff Brohm didn't want to win Saturday, he wanted to be right. He wanted to be right about what it means to be an offensive guru leading and calling an unstoppable offensive unit in today's college football. It cost his team a chance to compete for a W. If on a rain soaked day the opposing defense is daring you to run the football you put your ego aside, recognize that being the smartest man in the room with the most creative offense in the conference is less important than winning and just, you know, run the damn football.

Unfortunately for us, old veterans like Mark Dantonio and Kirk Ferentz won't do this.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Great win, first convincing B1G road win in a couple years.

"They did absolutely nothing special," Brohm said of the Illini's defense. "They played us quarters coverage on first and second down and cover 2 (on long distances). Really, the same things that Iowa was in – 'you’re going to have to run the ball to beat us.'

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2019/10/26/illinois-dominates-purdue-football-24-6/4086697002/

I was watching a documentary recently on Jefferson Davis and there was an interesting quote from one of the featured historians about the turning of the tide in the Civil War being directly related to the personalities and the leadership qualities of the two heads of state, Lincoln and Davis. The quote was loosely this "Abraham Lincoln wanted to win. Jefferson Davis wanted to be right".

Jeff Brohm didn't want to win Saturday, he wanted to be right. He wanted to be right about what it means to be an offensive guru leading and calling an unstoppable offensive unit in today's college football. It cost his team a chance to compete for a W. If on a rain soaked day the opposing defense is daring you to run the football you put your ego aside, recognize that being the smartest man in the room with the most creative offense in the conference is less important than winning and just, you know, run the damn football.

Unfortunately for us, old veterans like Mark Dantonio and Kirk Ferentz won't do this.
I'm hoping we would have still won even if they decided to run the ball more.

Yes but they also won't rip open the playbook and will die a slow death if they're behind multiple scores...

I'm hoping we would have still won even if they decided to run the ball more.

I think we could (Would) have given how we controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball. But do I think it would have been a 3 score deficit? No, I do not. Jeff Brohm himself flipped that game from a toss up favoring Illinois and our run game to a definite L.

Yes but they also won't rip open the playbook and will die a slow death if they're behind multiple scores...

Iowa will and has, it just didn't go well for them.

The key to that, however, is putting those teams into multiple score deficits. Not an easy thing to do, they're both built to play tight games.

That's like 3 weeks in a row where Urban Meyer has said awesome stuff about Illinois. I wonder if he means it, or he just kind of has to say it. I want to believe we are actually getting better.