Illinois 24, Wisconsin 23 POSTGAME

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/illini/illini-shock-no-badgers-on-final-

It was so much. It all meant so much.
“We fought so hard from freshman year on up, this past summer and especially doing it for Bobby,” Harding said. “I broke down, man.”I broke down too...such a needed victory for the beloved....

When we critique the team for its porous pass defense over the middle, and its inability to sustain long offensive drives, it is easy to forget that we have a team which is playing with heart , passion and desire in the face of adversity.

There was someone dressed up as a "chief" today?
Two, actually. One walked through the horseshoe during the playing of the 3 in 1. The other joined the throngs on the field after the game.

BZuppke

Plainfield
One analysis from the Badger board:

“Illinois won the turnover battle.
Illinois produced more yards per play rushing.
After accounting for sacks, Illinois outrushed on an absolute basis on fewer carries.
Illinois produced more yards per play passing.
Illinois had fewer penalties, gave up no first downs on penalties and gained 3 themselves.
Illinois scored TDs on three plays of longer than 25 yards.
UW held the ball a long time, had a 3:2 advantage in offensive plays, but only scored 2 TD on 5 red zone trips.

I thought the Badgers would win, right up until Brown ripped off the run that really set them up in good FG range, but that box score isn't a story of Badger dominance. Gross yards and TOP mean almost nothing if you don't finish your chances with touchdowns.

It's almost always good to have a big advantage in total plays run (regardless of TOP), but that advantage usually presents in the fact that a difference in volume of plays usually translates into an advantage in terms of big plays. That that didn't happen. Illinois was more efficient with their offense. That's something of significance which fans of Badger basketball should appreciate.

Big plays are usually king, and Illinois won the game with big plays on both sides of the ball.”

Deleted member 29907

D
One analysis from the Badger board:

“Illinois won the turnover battle.
Illinois produced more yards per play rushing.
After accounting for sacks, Illinois outrushed on an absolute basis on fewer carries.
Illinois produced more yards per play passing.
Illinois had fewer penalties, gave up no first downs on penalties and gained 3 themselves.
Illinois scored TDs on three plays of longer than 25 yards.
UW held the ball a long time, had a 3:2 advantage in offensive plays, but only scored 2 TD on 5 red zone trips.

I thought the Badgers would win, right up until Brown ripped off the run that really set them up in good FG range, but that box score isn't a story of Badger dominance. Gross yards and TOP mean almost nothing if you don't finish your chances with touchdowns.

It's almost always good to have a big advantage in total plays run (regardless of TOP), but that advantage usually presents in the fact that a difference in volume of plays usually translates into an advantage in terms of big plays. That that didn't happen. Illinois was more efficient with their offense. That's something of significance which fans of Badger basketball should appreciate.

Big plays are usually king, and Illinois won the game with big plays on both sides of the ball.”
If I were other teams, I'd run at their #1 all day long. They have some good cover CBs, but their shoulder tackling attempts were pathetic. I don't know how they could have been rated that well on D with that - perhaps there were injuries at CB? I know they lost a safety or two.

Deleted member 654622

D
If you have a chance, as has been mentioned previously in this thread, watch the post game interviews w/ the players.

Proud of the older players, Corbin/Hansen/Adams. Great interviews, great people.

They know they need to follow it up next week w/ a good performance. Credit to them/Lovie/coaches for sticking with it.

Seeing yesterday's effort, and knowing what CAN happen changes the calculus a little. Not sure if we can handle Purdue on the road w/ their spread, despite backup QB and no Moore. Same goes for Iowa on the road. I think we beat Rutgers/MSU on the road/NW to get to 6. Not sure anybody had a bowl prediction this year w/ a loss to EMU and a win over Wisc before the year started, ha!
I loved Robert's interaction with Casey Washington. You can hear Robert's smile!

Here’s the thing about the TOP today: I actually think it helped us. Wisconsin’s offense is very methodical in the way it runs. Taking a LOT of time before snapping the ball, time developing plays, lining up, etc... Their time of possession was huge, but they only ran 75 plays.

For comparison, here are the number of plays Illinois’ opponents ran in the first six games:
Akron ran 66 plays in 31:37 averaging 28.74 seconds per play
UConn ran 60 plays in 30:45 averaging 30.75 seconds per play
EMU ran 76 plays in 31:47 averaging 25.09 seconds per play
Nebraska ran 98(!!!!) plays in 37:04 averaging 22.69 seconds per play
Minnesota ran 69 plays in 35:44 averaging 31.07 seconds per play (in my opinion, this game is the worst the team looked all year)
Michigan ran 70 plays in 29:47 averaging 25.53 seconds per play
Wisconsin ran 75 plays in 40:49 averaging 32.65 seconds per play

While I have argued numerous times that TOP is killing our defense, HOW that time of possession is developed is another factor that I think can't be overlooked. Our defense does much better when the game is slower (Minnesota excluded). Wisconsin held on to the ball a LONG time, but it wasn't the "tiring the defense out" long time. That benefitted us tremendously. The offense scored when it mattered, and they had a couple penalties that negated other scores. This helped too. But to me, Wisconsin's offense is the best match up to our defense we have or will face all season.

But I'm a numbers/stats guy. I am by no means a football expert.

I'm the sabermetrics guy that old school baseball people hate :D
I'm not following. According to your data, two teams averaged 31 seconds per offensive play, but in your analysis you excluded one of them without explanation. Could you explain why Minnesota was excluded to a dummy like me?

reopseed60

Naples, Florida
My first Illini game was 63 years ago. Graduated myself in 1960 and two kids are proud Illini graduates. This win ranks as one of the best ever........including bowl wins and the Ohio State upset. Lovie and the staff have this team playing hard........

On another note, I thought Milian and the TV crew announcing the game were very fair in pointing out good plays and effort for both teams, even before the final result. Big day in Illini football history.....31 point underdogs......

I’ve got two more days on the honeymoon. Lovie needs to bring in Brian Urlacher to coach linebackers. Or, grow that new hair out and PLAY linebacker