Illinois 24, Wisconsin 23 POSTGAME

Anyone know of any way to watch this whole game online right now? I had back to back soccer games for the children and didn’t think there was any shred of a chance of winning!!!

(takes another bite of delicious crow)
Illinois breakdown on yputube

I'm not following. According to your data, two teams averaged 31 seconds per offensive play, but in your analysis you excluded one of them without explanation. Could you explain why Minnesota was excluded to a dummy like me?

My point is that Illinois just looked like absolute garbage that game. They could do nothing right. It might be the single worst game I've seen all year from the Illini and the coaches. I'm sort of (unscientifically) excluding it because I think it's a poor example (personal bias to support my logic :)). As the year goes on, I may find that no, the games with 28+ seconds/play that we won were the exceptions.

Now, if I really wanted to break it down, I'd remove non-consequential plays (kneel downs) from the list and average it then. It wouldn't change the numbers too much, but it would be more of an accurate analysis.

Maybe there are some real-old-timers who recall great runs by Buddy Young, JC Caroline, or Lonnie Perrin. For me, the best Illini running play I ever saw was the “Rooks run right”, which, if you were there, you’ll never forget. That play remains my #1, but Saturday’s run by Dre Brown on that final drive was right up there. Rooks scored a touchdown that broke loose 20 years of frustration, but Brown’s run was actually a greater individual effort because he hit and spun off multiple defenders to make the line to gain.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe there are some real-old-timers who recall great runs by Buddy Young, JC Caroline, or Lonnie Perrin. For me, the best Illini running play I ever saw was the “Rooks run right”, which, if you were there, you’ll never forget. That play remains my #1, but Saturday’s run by Dre Brown on that final drive was right up there. Rooks scored a touchdown that broke loose 20 years of frustration, but Brown’s run was actually a greater individual effort because he hit and spun off multiple defenders to make the line to gain.
I'm not old enough to remember the Rooks run, but aside from Dre's on Saturday, the one I vividly recall is one in 2007, also against Wisconsin, then Mendenhall initially ran right but there were too many lineman blocking his path, so he spun around and reversed direction and broke off a huge run down the left side instead. Wish I could find some video of it somewhere (I was watching from the stands right in front and it certainly looked impressive from my vantagepoint!).

I'm not old enough to remember the Rooks run, but aside from Dre's on Saturday, the one I vividly recall is one in 2007, also against Wisconsin, then Mendenhall initially ran right but there were too many lineman blocking his path, so he spun around and reversed direction and broke off a huge run down the left side instead. Wish I could find some video of it somewhere (I was watching from the stands right in front and it certainly looked impressive from my vantagepoint!).

Maybe the play you’re remembering is in the video at this link:

Agree...Rooks run in 1983 was the greatest play in my lifetime..59 years. The run, the season, the crowds..it was all there. Wish I had been at an 83 game.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
Agree...Rooks run in 1983 was the greatest play in my lifetime..59 years. The run, the season, the crowds..it was all there. Wish I had been at an 83 game.
I became a season ticket holder in 1981, and this is my 39th season. I'm still here primarily because of those Illini teams and the filled (70,000+) and energized stadium in my first three seasons. The run by Rooks against tOSU was great primarily because we knew then that Illinois football had reached the top of the Big 10. Saturday's win over Wisky was epic. Imagine it with another 40,000 fans in Memorial stadium and you've got '83 vs. OSU and Michigan.

MainelyIllini

uh, Maine
I became a season ticket holder in 1981, and this is my 39th season. I'm still here primarily because of those Illini teams and the filled (70,000+) and energized stadium in my first three seasons. The run by Rooks against tOSU was great primarily because we knew then that Illinois football had reached the top of the Big 10. Saturday's win over Wisky was epic. Imagine it with another 40,000 fans in Memorial stadium and you've got '83 vs. OSU and Michigan.
That was my first ever Illini game I ever attended. I sat in the north end zone bleachers and vividly remember Rooks running towards us. When the game ended we rushed the field and tore down the goalpost. I’ve been a fan since. 👍

I was in the East main stands. Thomas Rooks ran right past me. Most beautiful event ever in Illinois Football.

Deleted member 645583

D
It's just a lousy shame that we didn't get to see more of Dre Brown during his college career because of injuries. But I look forward to watching him in his few remaining games. Way to go, Dre. I knew you were a special runner when you played at DeKalb H.S.

That run of his at the end of the Wisconsin game should be shown to every running back everywhere as a perfect example of how to run and how not to quit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 645583

D
Forgot to add: there were several great moments. That interception! Not a fluke; he went after it, leaped (leapt?) and grabbed it falling away. The the Brown run. So much energy and desire from the Fighting Illini! (the best team name ever).

Deleted member 645583

D
I went to 4:30 Mass Saturday.

Our pastor always greets us afterwards at the bottom of the steps outside. I always thank him for another great Mass, but I added:
"Father, the Lord was with the Illini today; it was a miracle, they beat Wisconsin!"

We laughed, and he replied: "St. Lovie!"

No kidding.

Deleted member 654622

D
Another play.. maybe minor..but when Peters stepped to his left on the td pass to Bebe...Reggie just nicked the pass rusher and stayed with him...maybe gives Peters just a bit more time
Not even close to comparing the players nor the level of the block, but that play just reminded me of when McMahon came in vs Minnesota and Walter picked up that blitzing LB allowing for the long TD

Another play.. maybe minor..but when Peters stepped to his left on the td pass to Bebe...Reggie just nicked the pass rusher and stayed with him...maybe gives Peters just a bit more time

You can remove “maybe” on all accounts. Knowing how poor Peters has been with getting rid of the ball and avoiding sacks, that might’ve been the most important play for the comeback.

He didn’t need to stop the rusher, just deflect him.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Not only on the football field, but Perrin was a beast on the bball court. Will never forget him going over the back of my roomate for the rebound and field goal in the intramural playoffs back then. Perrin was quite the athlete!

Deleted member 645583

D
Let's enjoy the euphoria. But I hope Lovie and staff are getting the team in a Purdue state of mind. As for Purdues and Purdon'ts: Illini, just play with the same energy and desire and intensity as you did against Wisconsin. Play smart, too! No silly penalties.

Everybody's talking about Illini upset of WI as the greatest ever for the program. BTN guys also mentioned 2007 upset AT #1 Ohio State. I say this recent upset was the greater because 2007 Illini were a very good team. But 2007 was AT An Ohio State U ranked #1, so ...

Which leads me to this question: What happened all of a sudden? Why and how did these Illini come out Fighting for all four quarters against WI?

However it was done, keep it up FIGHTING ILLINI!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 654622

D
Let's enjoy the euphoria. But I hope Lovie and staff are getting the team in a Purdue state of mind. As for Purdues and Purdon'ts: Illini, just play with the same energy and desire and intensity as you did against Wisconsin. Play smart, too! No silly penalties.

Which leads me to this question: What happened all of a sudden? Why and how did these Illini come out Fighting for all four quarters against WI?
If you listen to Lovie in the locker room right after the game and his press conference yesterday, they have moved on. Whether they get the players to focus is another question

How did it happen? I am going to say the most likely answer that no one wants to admit, it was more of Wisconsin looking past Illinois than Illinois all of a sudden becoming a great team.
The Purdue outcome will tell us all we need to know. Lose, it was a trap game for Wisconsin. Win, Illinois have certainly turned a corner