Illinois 31, UConn 23 POSTGAME

Michig

Michigan fans are saying the same thing.

You know, I was thinking today while watching the Michigan game: “Army would have been the perfect matchup for us this year”. They can’t pass, and we suck at defending the pass.

We’re decent enough at run defense.

Fuddy Duddy Warning:

The excessive celebration penalties, whether you agree with the rule or not (I don't, let the kids dance), is crap that has to be cleaned up. There should not have been a second after the first. These are the things that are going to kill us against a non-inferior big ten opponent. Unsportsmanlike penalties are corrected from the top down. I hope they will be addressed.

I watched a very disciplined Army team almost take down Michigan because they stayed calm and collected and didnt make stupid mistakes. 15 yards after 15 yards after 15 yards in penalties can easily make the difference between 4 or 5 or 6 wins.

/rant

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
The excessive celebration thing felt a little Point of Emphasis-y. Is it new this year?

We really shouldn't. There was nothing to be won out there today, but everything to lose, and we didn't.

We gotta handle our business next week, show up against Rutgers, and then find two more.

If today is the kind of team we are, it's going to be made much, much clearer in future weeks.
Still counts the same as a 23 point win, unless....🙄

Deleted member 29907

D
First Illini non-conference road win since 2007. For those who may not be familiar, this game shown below was the last time the Illini won a non-conference road game before today:

And as if by coincidence (or laziness) Syracuse is wearing our old uniforms this year, and vice versa.... ;) Does anyone check for plagiarism once people get out of school?

Totally over-estimated how we’d do. Should have know better, because Illinois.

That was a true freshman QB. Yikes. We are looking at 4 wins tops if we don’t pick it up in a hurry.

I was skeptical of Peters after last week. Stares down his primary receiver way too much and doesn’t go through progressions well. I really don’t see him as the answer. Wish we’d get JuiceV2 in there for some reps.

Deleted member 29907

D
Hard to judge this game completely without one of the top running backs in the B1G playing. Reggie can change a game in an instant. Yeah, they played with a Frosh QB but it sounds like he was playing better than their regular starter.

Totally over-estimated how we’d do. Should have know better, because Illinois.

That was a true freshman QB. Yikes. We are looking at 4 wins tops if we don’t pick it up in a hurry.

I was skeptical of Peters after last week. Stares down his primary receiver way too much and doesn’t go through progressions well. I really don’t see him as the answer. Wish we’d get JuiceV2 in there for some reps.
Need to save him for tossup games where he could make a difference and not lose his redshirt, if possible. Peters is decent but we need him to be good. Although our depth has improved, key injuries are already killing us. Have to get EMU and Rutgers. Maybe get lucky against Northwestern and Minnesota..maybe Michigan who doesn't look good on offense. Fitz will have NW playing better by year end.

Too many injuries to key players has slowed down the Illini. Corbin today and it is a different game. Add Epstein, Beason, Sidney Brown, etc.. and it is a blow out.

UConn didn't bring out the best in Illinois. Key mistakes kept this game close.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
I didn't get to watch today, but I'm wondering if we just played down today. I'm sure the injuries hurt us, but I feel like playing down is an Illini thing to do.

Different game with Reggie in there - we could not run much up the middle - Reggie gets it going off the edge. He'd have broken two good runs today as there wasn't much support past the line.

Now time to root for Colorado
Doubtful. OL had issues today and strength was one. Disappointing performance.

Hopefully it’s the wake up call they need. If it is, the good news that it came in a win.
If we hit 6 wins, this game will be a blurb. Gotta get healthy and learn from this. Still we won, it just wasn't pretty enough.

Deleted member 29907

D
Doubtful. OL had issues today and strength was one. Disappointing performance.
The OL issues were tight inside - we rarely bounced outside which Reggie is very good at - its not like their D line was clogging up our backfield, they just held the middle of the Line of Scrimmage.

The OL issues were tight inside - we rarely bounced outside which Reggie is very good at - its not like their D line was clogging up our backfield, they just held the middle of the Line of Scrimmage.
Nah, OL struggled backside as well. It was a poor game by OL. When RBs bounced out or attempted to they were dragged down behind or just stood up. Middle was muddled up as we couldn’t handle one on one blocking. Overall poor performance but a Win. Easy things to address in film sessions for next week.