Illinois 31, UConn 23 POSTGAME

Different game with Reggie in there - we could not run much up the middle - Reggie gets it going off the edge. He'd have broken two good runs today as there wasn't much support past the line.

Now time to root for Colorado
This is where I am at as well. I'm just glad we found a way to win. The upside is that we got some valuable expeience for other players which will will need be needed when the B10 season begins.

The OL issues were tight inside - we rarely bounced outside which Reggie is very good at - its not like their D line was clogging up our backfield, they just held the middle of the Line of Scrimmage.
Nah, OL struggled backside as well. It was a poor game by OL. When RBs bounced out or attempted to they were dragged down behind or just stood up. Middle was muddled up as we couldn’t handle one on one blocking. Overall poor performance but a Win. Easy things to address in film sessions for next week.

Deleted member 29907

D
Nah, OL struggled backside as well. It was a poor game by OL. When RBs bounced out or attempted to they were dragged down behind or just stood up. Middle was muddled up as we couldn’t handle one on one blocking. Overall poor performance but a Win. Easy things to address in film sessions for next week.
WIll agree to disagree - Reggie makes a difference in that game IMO -he cuts before he hits the pile

WIll agree to disagree - Reggie makes a difference in that game IMO -he cuts before he hits the pile
Would love to agree but feel he would have struggled as well. OL needs to get it together and be the aggressor. Hope to see the adjustments next week.

Just a note, it wasn't beautiful but it was 1st nonconference P5 away game won in 12 years. Baby steps.
I don't think UCONN is P5 but I get what you're saying. I think they were better than we all expected, especially the QB. Still probably should have won by 14+. Too many mistakes

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Would love to agree but feel he would have struggled as well. OL needs to get it together and be the aggressor. Hope to see the adjustments next week.

They struggled because of the terrible play calling. You have to set them up for success.
You put in two TE's, a FB and you smash them over the head for the entire first quarter, then they lay down like lap dogs the rest of the way. It also opens up the passing game and gives Peters time in the pocket. Instead we spread out and rely on 1 v 1 blocking and a QB that clearly isn't reading D's very well, and make enough mistakes to give them a lead.

We should have rushed for 200+ yards today. The first quarter was a joke. Terrible game plan.

Our in game coaching and discipline is our biggest hurdle now.

I’m not upset at all. I’m actually happy we won. Debbie Downers need to realize we went down 13-0 on the road and then went on to score 24 straight points. You realize that’s growth. I remember in years past after that type of 1st quarter it would be time to turn the tv off because it was downhill from there. We just need to clean some things up and get the guys healthy. 2-0 is better then 1-1

the national

the Front Range
We really shouldn't. There was nothing to be won out there today, but everything to lose, and we didn't.
l really appreciate this perspective. It’s honestly true. UConn was loose and it looked like our guys were hoping to coast. We just didn’t looked prepared. We got a gift today leaving with the W. Onto the next one.

Oh and Lovie, don’t screw up the next one so badly.

I attended the game. Randy Edsall and his staff out-coached Lovie and his staff. Even the UConn fans recognized that we had superior athletes. This game should not have been close.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
They struggled because of the terrible play calling. You have to set them up for success.
You put in two TE's, a FB and you smash them over the head for the entire first quarter, then they lay down like lap dogs the rest of the way. It also opens up the passing game and gives Peters time in the pocket. Instead we spread out and rely on 1 v 1 blocking and a QB that clearly isn't reading D's very well, and make enough mistakes to give them a lead.

We should have rushed for 200+ yards today. The first quarter was a joke. Terrible game plan.

Is this a recap of the Illini game or the Bears game?

Injuries aren't helping either. Maybe, head in the clouds after Akron.

Last edited:
Anyone else think that Peters not keeping on some of the read options is hurting us? The ends know to just crash down as they don’t have to honor the QB threat. However, he has shown he is athletic enough to keep the DEs honest. Hopefully this gets addressed in the coming weeks.

Anyone else think that Peters not keeping on some of the read options is hurting us? The ends know to just crash down as they don’t have to honor the QB threat. However, he has shown he is athletic enough to keep the DEs honest. Hopefully this gets addressed in the coming weeks.
Maybe roll him in the pocket some?

This team looked bad today... But I feel like it’s poor preparation, or maybe an underestimating, something like that. There is skill to be seen on both sides of the ball, but it’s super inconsistent. Also, we’re missing so many guys due to injury/suspension.

I think there’s a real truth to saying that this game was not as close as the score, despite us trying to make it feel that way. We gifted them 14 points due to bad Peters play.

All said, what is our takeaway from this game?!

My takeaways:
1 ) 4 more wins

2) Man, i thought we had it bad, at least i'm not a UConn football fan.

I think everyone is overreacting. We didn’t play great, obviously. The staff seemed to be holding back. We played well enough to win. I never thought the game was in jeopardy in the second half.

The defense was missing a ton of players. And, all of the bellyaching falls on the offense. The offense was atrocious. Turnovers, drops, bad play calling, penalties. The good thing is that this offense is fairly new and can learn from this. I am happy with how the dline and linebackers played. This team will have lots to learn from this week. I think this team looks like it will win next week.

I think everyone is overreacting. We didn’t play great, obviously. The staff seemed to be holding back. We played well enough to win. I never thought the game was in jeopardy in the second half.

The defense was missing a ton of players. And, all of the bellyaching falls on the offense. The offense was atrocious. Turnovers, drops, bad play calling, penalties. The good thing is that this offense is fairly new and can learn from this. I am happy with how the dline and linebackers played. This team will have lots to learn from this week. I think this team looks like it will win next week.
Agreed on all....we need some more help at db/safety, maybe wr that's not getting tick or maybe Shammond?

Trying to save him some hits early in the season for more true read options in conference?

The Passing game was already open. They had 8 in the box and you want to play Bo and Woody football. We had guys open all day and all we had to do was throw the ball downfield. But, you want to show that we were more of a man? That is the B1G football that has never made any sense. Except for Norwood's one run late, we were averaging 1 or 2 yards per run. Yeah, that's the ticket.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The Passing game was already open. They had 8 in the box and you want to play Bo and Woody football. We had guys open all day and all we had to do was throw the ball downfield. But, you want to show that we were more of a man? That is the B1G football that has never made any sense. Except for Norwood's one run late, we were averaging 1 or 2 yards per run. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Huh? I'm implying that you push around an obviously weaker team and wear them down with Illinois' obvious strength...the running game. If the passing game was so open....as you say...why did our receivers have to pull balls out of the hands of the guys covering them? Several of Peters passes were throw it up and let the receivers make plays. That's not "open". The "8 in the box" were reading the run/pass option better than our QB.

We did something first quarter? Play calling wasn’t the best for sure!

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I’m not upset at all. I’m actually happy we won. Debbie Downers need to realize we went down 13-0 on the road and then went on to score 24 straight points. You realize that’s growth. I remember in years past after that type of 1st quarter it would be time to turn the tv off because it was downhill from there. We just need to clean some things up and get the guys healthy. 2-0 is better then 1-1

Agree with you 100 %....What's up with Stampley"s hands...has trouble catching passes and then we run him on a reverse and guess what..........

[QUOTwe were down 13-0 to a team who won 1 game last year and barely escaped the powerful Wagner team last week! But why be real when we can ride unicorns and toss skittles to the crowd. E="DonIllini, post: 1478930, member: 618997"]
[/QUOTE]