Illinois 31, UConn 23 POSTGAME

Agree with you 100 %....What's up with Stampley"s hands...has trouble catching passes and then we run him on a reverse and guess what..........
Stampley didn’t look like he was expecting the ball. Once the ball hit the turf he had no clue. If he was expecting the ball there would have been a much better reaction to falling on it during the play.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Fuddy Duddy Warning:

The excessive celebration penalties, whether you agree with the rule or not (I don't, let the kids dance), is crap that has to be cleaned up. There should not have been a second after the first. These are the things that are going to kill us against a non-inferior big ten opponent. Unsportsmanlike penalties are corrected from the top down. I hope they will be addressed.

I watched a very disciplined Army team almost take down Michigan because they stayed calm and collected and didnt make stupid mistakes. 15 yards after 15 yards after 15 yards in penalties can easily make the difference between 4 or 5 or 6 wins.

/rant

Army didn't have a ton of penalties, but there were still stupid mistakes. They used at least 5 timeouts during that game as the play clock was running down. It wasn't lack of discipline, but it was lack of organization that surprised me. Nonetheless, they did over-achieve against Michigan and played well overall.

We definitely have to get better at discipline in fundamentals. The lack of this continues to shock me for a Lovie coached team. Previously i put it on youth, now it's increasingly going to coaching. Let's hope it gets addressed aggressively.

I refuse to get too worked up about the game. We got the victory, and I saw some things I liked. Sure the score wasn’t what we wanted and there are plenty of things to clean up, but we got a W on the road. Now back to watching the USC game to scout the Illini’s 2020 grad transfers.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
People talking about issues with Peters, which is fair, but when was the last time we had an Illinois QB that could make both of these plays:

A look-right, throw-left perfect touch pass to Barker down the sideline (maybe Lunt, but he doesn't make play #2)

A spinning scramble to his left keeping his eyes downfield for a well-placed jump ball for Imatorbhebhe (almost had that spelling without looking it up)

I'm guessing Nate would have been the last Illini QB who could make both plays. Color me impressed so far.

I'm in the 'first road win in a short while' camp and my beer cup is half full. However, our secondary seems to have a way of making every QB we play look like a very solid starter. I guess the secondary is working exactly how Lovie wants? I mean they're giving up yards, stiffening in the red zone, and getting turnovers. It just seems like the receivers are WAAAY too open, they have us game planned waay too easily, and we're gonna give up chunks when we get to conference play. I just miss Vic K's defenses so much. I like the hit 'em where they ain't approach combined with obfuscation. Sitting there, watching us go man or zone and predicting what they'll do... it's so easy and they have the read ready to go. Thank gawd almighty for the d-line dialing up the pressure now and again. They've really been coming thru. ON THE BRIGHT SIDE -- we played like hot garbage in the first quarter in a road game and we kept our cool and bounced back. Is that a bright side?

Huh? I'm implying that you push around an obviously weaker team and wear them down with Illinois' obvious strength...the running game. If the passing game was so open....as you say...why did our receivers have to pull balls out of the hands of the guys covering them? Several of Peters passes were throw it up and let the receivers make plays. That's not "open". The "8 in the box" were reading the run/pass option better than our QB.
I agree with some of what you are saying, I don't want to just run the ball 3 times for 5 yards and punt. When I said throw it downfield I was not talking about 8 to 10 yards downfield. We need to go deep downfield at least once a half. That will stop them from jumping the short routes and get them out of that 8 man box that they were playing. They were selling out on taking the run game away and we were not punishing them for doing so. If a team is playing an 8 man front (in the box) we have no business trying to run the ball if we can throw the ball just decently. We didn't have to establish the run to open things up. They were already open. Just throw the ball downfield until they back up. The OC wants to dink and dunk and hope that somebody makes someone miss and makes a big play. We have receivers that can get downfield and make a D have to play honest. I think that we have a decent O line that could be very good. But 5 guys can't block 8 and playing with only one wideout just jams things up even more.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Lovie that jumpy/twitchy in a press conference. Looked like he just drank 3 cups of coffee.

Defense gave up 285 yards. That's not bad, 275 thru the air. When you consider who i think was the best corner we had is out for the season, Addams went out with significant time left. Joseph came in 2nd half, who was it Stanley got tossed early, the defense played well. UCONN is not so horrible and/or Illinois is not so good that Illini can come in without 2 best running backs and stem roll em'. Not there, yet.
Offense had the opportunities to score more (Browns return, 1st and goal after UC to) and didn't. O-line has to be better, too.

How much of this was us vs UConn playing lights out..for them. The broadcaster even said this is the best they have looked in three years! Their quarterback is making NFL type throws, he is unfazed with the pressure, and the uconn defense was not there offense that finished last the year before. Of course, those penalties, those bad throws, and the secondary were awful and we need to clean that up,.. Not sure how much we can improve the secondary at this point... But this was learning and the prevailed which was key.

We have tried to be optimistic the past few years and it does seem our talent recruiting wise is going up. But concerned that too often, our team just isn't mentally prepared. And that's coaching. Yesterday did not bode well for that conference schedule at all. Hopefully UConn was a bit of a fluke and we can in fact win three conference games, but certainly not as optimistic at this point.

Biggest concern are injuries and lack of discipline. Harding's hit on the QB to extend the drive are momentum killers. Also targeting and TD celebrations need to be cleaned up.

At the end of this game, like the end of last, we are a 4 win team with 4-5 tossup games (if you include Michigan state). The state of health in our secondary is concerning, but fortunately we had some depth. What little depth we had is exhausted. Hopefully we get most everyone back.

Meeting YankeeIllini and spouse was enjoyable. :hailtotheorange:
It was a great day for a football game.
The way the game started was concerning.

Thank goodness for the transfers. Without them, we would be the worst team in our conference.
Having looked at the highlights this morning, I do feel much better about Peters. He may get us six wins.

On to the next.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Stampley didn’t look like he was expecting the ball. Once the ball hit the turf he had no clue. If he was expecting the ball there would have been a much better reaction to falling on it during the play.

To me it looked like a QB option on whether he wanted to hand it off. Looked like Stampley interpreted it as Peters wanting to keep the ball. If you look at the replay, Peters didn't exactly put it in the bread basket, so I can understand Stampley's interpretation. Peters definitely had a Jekyll and Hyde type of day. Some great throws and movement mixed in with some serious boneheaded moves (pick 6, not seeing the blitz coming in the other fumble in the redzone, etc.).

So far, based on two games, my one word reaction: PORTAL.

I think our future recruits should have 25-50% from the portal. Given results thus far, that should be an achievable goal.

Last edited:
pretty terrified of how poorly we ran the ball against UConn. That was supposed to be our strength. If it doesn't get figured out we probably lose most of the games going forward. Our defense is not good enough to survive many short drives by our offense.

Biggest concern are injuries and lack of discipline. Harding's hit on the QB to extend the drive are momentum killers. Also targeting and TD celebrations need to be cleaned up.

I didn’t like the targeting call. I think it’s a necessary rule for sure, but there needs to be some leeway.

Green went in low, very bent over, clearly trying to aim for the midsection. How can it be his fault the other guy gets hit and crumples a little bit, or lowers his head on his own, which then causes the defender to make head to head contact. The same thing happened in the Michigan game.

Yes we need to protect players heads. But we have to be smart enough to use the replay to say hey, the defender went in low enough, something outside of his control that caused the offensive player to go low, causing defender to hit with his helmet without trying, so it’s not targeting.

I am not saying he would be better or should start. But I would like to get Williams a series or two a game. I am guessing they want yo keep him at the limit to redshirt. I sure hope he is our starter next year.

The read option just isn't working with Peters because the defense is not respecting the QB run. They are selling out on the running back. In my opinion we need to switch to more of a pro-style attack with Peters. I also feel a two-step drop would be more effective to get the ball in the hands of our receivers earlier. It appears to me that our receivers are open initially but are not getting the ball early enough.

pretty terrified of how poorly we ran the ball against UConn. That was supposed to be our strength. If it doesn't get figured out we probably lose most of the games going forward. Our defense is not good enough to survive many short drives by our offense.
That's what happens when your top 2 RB's are out.