Illinois 31, UConn 23 POSTGAME

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
For reference, here is a play in the third quarter that didn’t even get a LITTLE consideration to see if it was targeting.

32450FB5-58EA-48EE-BB6C-22C268EC0A51.jpeg

This was head down, crown of the helmet making initial contact with our guys’ helmet.

6CF90202-018E-492C-8DBC-A07353BC93DF.jpeg

An obvious head down helmet to helmet targeting.

2D7C458B-EE3F-47DB-BCD0-F3E66CD66A35.jpeg

It’s hard to tell here but our guys’ head is in the middle of an obvious whiplash.

This was a huge miss by the refs.

I’ll try to take a stab at this:

View attachment 4769
First shot looks like it is going to be targeting for sure. However, Just before this the WR was higher and SG aimed for chest/shoulder height.

View attachment 4770
This shows the WR kept dropping but what you can’t tell is SG actually has turned his head and made initial contact with his shoulder and his head actually hit the WRs shoulder first.

View attachment 4771
Eventually, their helmets do hit but they are side to side. I don’t think it’s targeting but I GUESS it could be considered 50/50.

View attachment 4772
Another look. Make your own judgement because when slowed down, I can sort-of see either way.

Thanks. That third one was the one I was trying to screenshot. You can see how low green is and how he is waist level with the receiver. It’s just that the receiver kept going lower and what is green supposed to do? Lay down and untie the guys shoes?

Green has had his share of legit launch targets. Clearly not one of them.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Thought they also missed horse collar tackle on Brown on second half kickoff return.

1. First off all congrats to UCONN, you can only be kicked like a dog by national media for 6 days. before you come out fighting and them kids played pissed all game.
2. I like the poise, dont panic attitude after getting down by 13 points. I cant think of the last time a Illini team that was mentally tough enough to do.
3. Thank you Brandon Peters for giving this team a passing game, as the year goes on it will be harder and harder to defend us when everybody on the team believes their getting the ball at the snap of the play.
4. Ricky Smalling thank you for your obvious hard work over the offseason to become the leader of this much improved receiver group.
5. The size and physicality difference on this team is very noticeable from the last several years.
[/QUOTE

I also credit uconn playing for their coach. It was said that his mother passed the morning of the game. They played their hearts out for him

Deleted member 654622

D
But it was hard to watch our run plays hit a solid wall, especially when we'd throw something outside and that would be covered too. Maybe going deeper would have helped. Their being able to consistently move the ball was disheartening as well, whether running up the middle or passes to completely open receivers. Was that freshman QB all that good?

Go Illini. :illinois:
That Freshman made some really good throws and when they were slightly off, the receivers were making 360 one handed catches. And as a team they had...what 10 yards total rushing? So they didn't move the ball on us by running. I have stated my concerns with the pass rush and the effect it has on the DBs already so no rewrite, but the rush defense was excellent yesterday.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
That Freshman made some really good throws and when they were slightly off, the receivers were making 360 one handed catches. And as a team they had...what 10 yards total rushing? So they didn't move the ball on us by running. I have stated my concerns with the pass rush and the effect it has on the DBs already so no rewrite, but the rush defense was excellent yesterday.

Yeah, I feel like those one handed catches are something UConn won’t see for the rest of the year...and they had 2 against us. Sometimes things just go one teams way and they did yesterday. (But we still got the win!)

I also think UConn’s true frosh QB had an amazing game and will come back down to earth soon. Like in one of the next 3 games he will throw 3 picks and have 89 yards passing.

Deleted member 29907

D
As someone posted earlier, and if you listen to the post game by the UConn coach, the team was playing with alot of emotion and for their coach that game. Doesn't explain everything, but perhaps more push on D, taking more chances, a few one handed catches, etc.

Deleted member 29907

D
Thanks. That third one was the one I was trying to screenshot. You can see how low green is and how he is waist level with the receiver. It’s just that the receiver kept going lower and what is green supposed to do? Lay down and untie the guys shoes?

Green has had his share of legit launch targets. Clearly not one of them.
Can you appeal these suspensions based on further review of the play? This one was clearly wrong.

Deleted member 16340

D
They struggled because of the terrible play calling. You have to set them up for success.
You put in two TE's, a FB and you smash them over the head for the entire first quarter, then they lay down like lap dogs the rest of the way. It also opens up the passing game and gives Peters time in the pocket. Instead we spread out and rely on 1 v 1 blocking and a QB that clearly isn't reading D's very well, and make enough mistakes to give them a lead.

We should have rushed for 200+ yards today. The first quarter was a joke. Terrible game plan.

Our in game coaching and discipline is our biggest hurdle now.
This seems like our M O from last year. Maybe someone shoul d talk to the coaching staff...

Eliminate the stupid penalties and turnovers and the UCONN game was not that close. I was sitting next to BWBW on the 50 yard one in row 2 and didn’t see why they got penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct . . . TWICE! UConn played well above their weight class across the board, and given the additional motivation of the loss of the coach’s mother, it’s easy to see why they came out smokin’

We need to figure out pass coverage, because that frosh QB went 21/31 for 275 yards and Mr A. Brown (was Antonio Brown in Hartford yesterday???) had 7 catches for 81 yards. We couldn’t cover a bed yesterday . . .

For those ready to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge after yesterday’s game . . . bye bye. You’re going to miss a fun season.

Edit: Forgot to add, good guys by 10 this week.

Last edited:

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Can you appeal these suspensions based on further review of the play? This one was clearly wrong.

In this case it no longer matters. Stanley Green missed the rest of the game but won’t miss any of the next game.

I didn’t like the targeting call. I think it’s a necessary rule for sure, but there needs to be some leeway.

Green went in low, very bent over, clearly trying to aim for the midsection. How can it be his fault the other guy gets hit and crumples a little bit, or lowers his head on his own, which then causes the defender to make head to head contact. The same thing happened in the Michigan game.

Yes we need to protect players heads. But we have to be smart enough to use the replay to say hey, the defender went in low enough, something outside of his control that caused the offensive player to go low, causing defender to hit with his helmet without trying, so it’s not targeting.

I saw that Michigan replay 50 times while the player was on the ground. The rule will need to be rewritten. The defender couldn’t have done anything different

I will revise my statement and add Betiku’s performance. 3.5 sacks, 5 to start the season, that’s above and beyond what we would have reasonably expected and he’s been very close on others. He’s made the big plays when we’ve needed them, he’s played the run extremely well, he’s been more phenomenal.

The rest? Eh. A bowl team with the caliber of transfers we have added against a program as void of talent as the University of Connecticut shouldn’t be celebrating what is essentially just 3 other points of positivity that all, frankly, should be expected.

I disagree, there is s lot to like about this game.

Our offense is new and haven’t had a lot of time together. Take their dumb turnovers away, and this game isn’t close.

Even in its infancy, this offense showed moments of how great it could be.

THe biggest weakness and question mark on this team has been line play and passing game. Both were solid yesterday.

The o line had an off day. If we are healthy, we can expect improvement here

They played a qb, whom we couldn’t gameplan.he was able to play against our depleted dbs, but expect an uptick with the return of brown and joseph and Adams.

With our fourth string dbs, we were still able to win.

We will get back some solid dbs and won’t need to rely on a walkon so heavily

The running game stalled, with the talent at Rb, expect a big bounce back

Our kicker can kick

We have some depth at dt

We seem to have another potential nfl end

LB play has been solid

I could keep going. We had some bad plays. Most of the Mudpie was served by the offense as the turnovers were costly in terms of points and score, including the turnover on downs. That unit is going to improve week to week. The penalties will be cleaned up. We saw some great things with tight end play and receiver play. We have some work to do.

We aren’t a 10 win team. We are a 4 win team that could win 8 if the stars align. Nothing has changed. We will have good weeks and bad weeks. but likely we will win 5 or 6. We are on pace for that. This week is another big one for being bowl eligible.

Everyone, quit pretending we are competing for the big west. We should know that we will likely get blown out once. Maybe twice. This is what 5 to 6 win teams look like.

I disagree, there is s lot to like about this game.

Our offense is new and haven’t had a lot of time together. Take their dumb turnovers away, and this game isn’t close.

Even in its infancy, this offense showed moments of how great it could be.

THe biggest weakness and question mark on this team has been line play and passing game. Both were solid yesterday.

The o line had an off day. If we are healthy, we can expect improvement here

They played a qb, whom we couldn’t gameplan.he was able to play against our depleted dbs, but expect an uptick with the return of brown and joseph and Adams.

With our fourth string dbs, we were still able to win.

We will get back some solid dbs and won’t need to rely on a walkon so heavily

The running game stalled, with the talent at Rb, expect a big bounce back

Our kicker can kick

We have some depth at dt

We seem to have another potential nfl end

LB play has been solid

I could keep going. We had some bad plays. Most of the Mudpie was served by the offense as the turnovers were costly in terms of points and score, including the turnover on downs. That unit is going to improve week to week. The penalties will be cleaned up. We saw some great things with tight end play and receiver play. We have some work to do.

We aren’t a 10 win team. We are a 4 win team that could win 8 if the stars align. Nothing has changed. We will have good weeks and bad weeks. but likely we will win 5 or 6. We are on pace for that. This week is another big one for being bowl eligible.

Everyone, quit pretending we are competing for the big west. We should know that we will likely get blown out once. Maybe twice. This is what 5 to 6 win teams look like.

I didn’t read any of this. I saw the last sentence and figured you simply weren’t getting it.

You said this is what 6 win bowl teams look like. No, it isn’t.

Defense gave up 285 yards. That's not bad, 275 thru the air. When you consider who i think was the best corner we had is out for the season, Addams went out with significant time left. Joseph came in 2nd half, who was it Stanley got tossed early, the defense played well. UCONN is not so horrible and/or Illinois is not so good that Illini can come in without 2 best running backs and stem roll em'. Not there, yet.
Offense had the opportunities to score more (Browns return, 1st and goal after UC to) and didn't. O-line has to be better, too.

Yes, UCONN is so horrible.

the national

the Front Range
Man, It’s a little rough in here. Yes, our team had a bad game but we did win the game. We were never an elite team, and this game didn’t change that fact. We are gonna need to scrap all season to make it a success and we got lucky while trying to sleep walk through the game.

The only thing that will cure this is another game, preferably one that we win without stupid unnecessary mistakes.

Deleted member 29907

D
In this case it no longer matters. Stanley Green missed the rest of the game but won’t miss any of the next game.
Right, forgot it was the first half... what about in general - e.g. 2nd half? Seems like a 1/2 game suspension should allow some sort of review.

I didn’t read any of this. I saw the last sentence and figured you simply weren’t getting it.

This intrigued me and I spent too much time looking into it. I looked at P5 teams from last year that finished the season with 5 or 6 wins. I think I got all of them...

FSU (5-7) - 09/08/18 - Beat Samford 36-26 at home
VaTech (6-7) - 09/22/18 - Lost at ODU 49-35
KSU (5-7) - 09/01/18 - Beat South Dakota 27-24 at home
TTU (5-7) - 11/17/18 - Lost at KSU 21-6
Maryland (5-7) - 09/15/18 - Lost at home to Temple 35-14
Indiana (5-7) - 09/01/18 Won at FIU 38-28, also on 09/29/18 Won at Rutgers 24-17
USC and Arizona both finished 5-7 and while they don't have clunkers against supposed powder puffs like those above, they were 2 of the wins for a 3-9 UCLA team.
Colorado (5-7) - 10/27/18 - Lost at home 41-34 to Oregon State
Vanderbilt (6-7) - 09/29/18 - Beat Tenn State 31-27 at home
Tennessee (5-7) - 11/03/18 - beat Charlotte 14-3 at home
Mississippi (5-7) - 10/13/18 - won at Arkansas 37-33

I'm not saying all of the above are as bad as an 8 point win at UCONN, but I would say 5-6 win teams do have their fair share of stinkers.

This intrigued me and I spent too much time looking into it. I looked at P5 teams from last year that finished the season with 5 or 6 wins. I think I got all of them...

FSU (5-7) - 09/08/18 - Beat Samford 36-26 at home
VaTech (6-7) - 09/22/18 - Lost at ODU 49-35
KSU (5-7) - 09/01/18 - Beat South Dakota 27-24 at home
TTU (5-7) - 11/17/18 - Lost at KSU 21-6
Maryland (5-7) - 09/15/18 - Lost at home to Temple 35-14
Indiana (5-7) - 09/01/18 Won at FIU 38-28, also on 09/29/18 Won at Rutgers 24-17
USC and Arizona both finished 5-7 and while they don't have clunkers against supposed powder puffs like those above, they were 2 of the wins for a 3-9 UCLA team.
Colorado (5-7) - 10/27/18 - Lost at home 41-34 to Oregon State
Vanderbilt (6-7) - 09/29/18 - Beat Tenn State 31-27 at home
Tennessee (5-7) - 11/03/18 - beat Charlotte 14-3 at home
Mississippi (5-7) - 10/13/18 - won at Arkansas 37-33

I'm not saying all of the above are as bad as an 8 point win at UCONN, but I would say 5-6 win teams do have their fair share of stinkers.

Makes sense to me. 6-6 is the ultimate mark of inconsistency.

Folks , it seems you're forgetting that Peters has only been in the program since early August and wasn't here over the summer since he had some grad things to clean up before he could transfer. He's playing with 4 receivers he'd never thrown a pass to before two months ago. That's a little more than an all star game prep.
The guys playing as smart at Illini QB as any I've seen in a about a decade, and his numbers and leadership are still exceptional. he's doing what he needs to do to win and his leadership in coming back from 13-0 at the end of the first Quarter was big time, no matter the competition, that is better this year and may have played one of their best games in three years.
The new USC transfers have been nothing less than outstanding. I don't know that Roundtree would be outperforming Betiku the way he's playing lights out this year.

Also don't forget that Sydney and BEBE have only been here a few months to learn the offense, yet I've seen little to criticize in their concentration and route running.
This is just the first two games and they're still trying to get on the same page with the new QB as well as learning the new offense.

By mid season I expect a quantum leap in the passing game as Peters and the receivers get their timing down, and look for FAR more big plays from the WRS and new pass catching star Barker by then.

If Corbin can be healthy, Brown and Bonner keep bruising, Norwood and Sims mature and the OL plays to their potential far better than we saw Saturday, and we can get the issues solved in the secondary, This team should be on an equal footing with Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota and NW and better than Rutgers.

Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State and Michigan? We only have chance if they play their worst games of the year and we play our best.

I tend to be pretty tough on our Illini, but I'm not blind....

We played pretty bad. I’m not denying that. There’s plenty to be excited about following that game. I bet, if we looked back 20 years, the number of 5 to 6 win teams that didn’t have at least one statistically atrocious performance would be statistically close to zero.

This is exactly what 5 to 6 win teams in ncaa football look like.