Illinois 31, UConn 23 POSTGAME

Deleted member 654622

D
Folks , it seems you're forgetting that Peters has only been in the program since early August and wasn't here over the summer since he had some grad things to clean up before he could transfer. He's playing with 4 receivers he'd never thrown a pass to before two months ago. That's a little more than an all star game prep.
The guys playing as smart at Illini QB as any I've seen in a about a decade, and his numbers and leadership are still exceptional. he's doing what he needs to do to win and his leadership in coming back from 13-0 at the end of the first Quarter was big time, no matter the competition, that is better this year and may have played one of their best games in three years.
The new USC transfers have been nothing less than outstanding. I don't know that Roundtree would be outperforming Betiku the way he's playing lights out this year.

Also don't forget that Sydney and BEBE have only been here a few months to learn the offense, yet I've seen little to criticize in their concentration and route running.
This is just the first two games and they're still trying to get on the same page with the new QB as well as learning the new offense.

By mid season I expect a quantum leap in the passing game as Peters and the receivers get their timing down, and look for FAR more big plays from the WRS and new pass catching star Barker by then.

If Corbin can be healthy, Brown and Bonner keep bruising, Norwood and Sims mature and the OL plays to their potential far better than we saw Saturday, and we can get the issues solved in the secondary, This team should be on an equal footing with Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota and NW and better than Rutgers.

Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State and Michigan? We only have chance if they play their worst games of the year and we play our best.

I tend to be pretty tough on our Illini, but I'm not blind....
FYI I didn't read any of this. Just the first sentence and realize you get it. You deserve my like button sir

Now I will read the rest

This intrigued me and I spent too much time looking into it. I looked at P5 teams from last year that finished the season with 5 or 6 wins. I think I got all of them...

FSU (5-7) - 09/08/18 - Beat Samford 36-26 at home
VaTech (6-7) - 09/22/18 - Lost at ODU 49-35
KSU (5-7) - 09/01/18 - Beat South Dakota 27-24 at home
TTU (5-7) - 11/17/18 - Lost at KSU 21-6
Maryland (5-7) - 09/15/18 - Lost at home to Temple 35-14
Indiana (5-7) - 09/01/18 Won at FIU 38-28, also on 09/29/18 Won at Rutgers 24-17
USC and Arizona both finished 5-7 and while they don't have clunkers against supposed powder puffs like those above, they were 2 of the wins for a 3-9 UCLA team.
Colorado (5-7) - 10/27/18 - Lost at home 41-34 to Oregon State
Vanderbilt (6-7) - 09/29/18 - Beat Tenn State 31-27 at home
Tennessee (5-7) - 11/03/18 - beat Charlotte 14-3 at home
Mississippi (5-7) - 10/13/18 - won at Arkansas 37-33

I'm not saying all of the above are as bad as an 8 point win at UCONN, but I would say 5-6 win teams do have their fair share of stinkers.

I’ll add one

Purdue 6-7 lost to eastern michigan 19-20.

Every team there minus VT is a 5 win team. I have zero in 5 wins, 5 wins isn’t bringing in the recruits we’re trying to sign.

The original points (that there is little to be excited about and that this is what 5 and 6 win teams look like) still remain.

And your point is important. But I believe, with what we are seeing, a 5 or 6 win season with competitive games will be good enough to sell The remaining recruits. You know better than I do, but I believe this Illinois team is much improved. At the very least, we can sell impact making transfers that they can shine at Illinois

If we ever want this program to actually be something, I mean a real something, we have to increase our overall talent pool. If we want to increase our overall talent pool, we need to do more than be proud of another bowl season spent watching everyone else play. That’s the way it is.

The stumble through the UConn win will stop that, 100%. If we play in the back half of the secondary in conference play the way we did yesterday (And by the way, there were plenty of kids running free in Akron game too...), we won’t win 6 games. Honestly, we may not win 5. We put that type of win-loss record, you will see kids drop.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Right, forgot it was the first half... what about in general - e.g. 2nd half? Seems like a 1/2 game suspension should allow some sort of review.

I’d be for it. It affects a large chunk of a player’s season. Worth making sure it is correct when time/thousands of fans aren’t forcing you to hurry up and make the call.

Lovie basically said in his press conference after the UConn game that there were certain things that needed to be cleaned up regarding the performance of the Fighting Illini. He didn't itemize of course, but one of those items is the tendency of Brandon Peters to focus on Ricky Smalling and try to force the ball in to him instead of going through his progressions and throwing to the open receiver. I happen to believe that Peters is talented and will show progress in this regard. More troubling, at least to me, is the woeful pass defense from our linebackers and secondary. This is an area of real concern. I know we had players missing due to injuries and so forth, but that doesn't fully explain how a third-string true freshman quarterback from UConn could pick us apart. This has been a weak spot during the past few seasons, and opposing coaches will continue to feast on it unless/until improvements are made.

............. but that doesn't fully explain how a third-string true freshman quarterback from UConn could pick us apart. ..............

The "third-string true freshman quarterback from UConn" was going through his progressions. He did what you expected our QB to do.

Deleted member 654622

D
If we ever want this program to actually be something, I mean a real something, we have to increase our overall talent pool. If we want to increase our overall talent pool, we need to do more than be proud of another bowl season spent watching everyone else play. That’s the way it is.

The stumble through the UConn win will stop that, 100%. If we play in the back half of the secondary in conference play the way we did yesterday (And by the way, there were plenty of kids running free in Akron game too...), we won’t win 6 games. Honestly, we may not win 5. We put that type of win-loss record, you will see kids drop.
I don't disagree with you that if by the end of this year we end up with 3-4 wins then we have to start over. What I disagree with is saying Sat's performance is the sole indication on how the season is going to end up. If this team only wins 5 games, I am confident that another addition of a recruiting class on par with Lovie's last one added to the growth that is currently here, will be a solid 6+ team. And I don't see us dipping back down afterwards. Now Lovie and company are recruiting with not only the facilities but with a winning football team behind them.
So logically, Lovie has brought in X talented recruiting classes while winning 3,2 and 4 games.
I suspect he can bring in around the same level with wining at least 5 games. If we win at least 5 this year, I am very confident we are winning at least 6 next. And the recruiting level increases and such. That makes all the sense in the world. What doesn't make sense is how schools that have shown to be nothing more than a wet blanket on the field, will bring in better talented players than us. Two kids we wanted from East St. Louis committed to Ten...TENNESSEE. Have they seen what they looked like on the field the last few years. Johnson may have decommitted but it wasn't because of their play. The Olineman is still committed I do believe. To me that does not make any sense and has driven me to not worry about what a few certain recruits want. It will drive you mad

I'm sorry..What I should have said was i dont disagree with the logical progression of the wins and recruiting talent. But 5 wins this year doesn't deter that logical improvement

Deleted member 29907

D
So, can we assume all those on the Bball thread who argue only W/L matters are completely and totally satisfied with this Win? ;)

The celebration penalties are a complete joke.

I didn’t think Barker’s dance was too bad. But I didn’t even see what Bonner did. I kept trying to see it on the replay and they either kept cutting off before it or there was literally nothing there.

What conference were the refs from?

breadman

Herndon, VA
I didn’t think Barker’s dance was too bad. But I didn’t even see what Bonner did. I kept trying to see it on the replay and they either kept cutting off before it or there was literally nothing there.

Watching it live, you could see that Bonner was going nuts for a few seconds, then the cameras cut out. So, did not see as much as the Barker dance.

Deleted member 29907

D
Watching it live, you could see that Bonner was going nuts for a few seconds, then the cameras cut out. So, did not see as much as the Barker dance.
Pretty sure I heard he high-fived a fan or something like that.

Deleted member 654622

D

Pretty sure I heard he high-fived a fan or something like that.
Yes I heard he high fived one fan in the stands. So he "went into the stands"

Those stat lines are pretty close with Betiku having a better stat line
Sounds like he got the edge because of the game ending interception, which is dumb. If one of Betiku's sacks came at the end of the game with UConn driving for the win, he probably would have won.

How much did that early INT for a TD cause Rod Smith to change up his offense? Maybe he and the players overreacted to it slightly?

Either way, the defense needs a healthy Adams back out there if we want a shot at 6 wins. Giving up 23 to UConn (even taking off that early 7) is not something you want out of any B1G defense.