Illinois 31, UConn 23 POSTGAME

I see your concern. The transfers have made our classes top heavy. I don't see any way around needed some more transfers in a few years. But were also talking about two years from now. So were saying guys with at least two years in our strength program, two years of practice, two years of being on a college sideline are going to step in and start. That is what we want isn't it? Were talking about
Isaiah Williams, Epstein, E Carter, Cumby, Campbell, Washington, Barker, Moore, Verdis, Slaughter, Myers, Khalan, Shammond, Tarique, J Thompon, Beason
Now I'm not trying to just name off one recruiting class and I didn't name every one of them. Not all are going to be successful. But I feel good about a lot of those guys. And I would rather not have to play Sophomores/Red shirt Freshman but talented players like Reggie Love fall into that category. As long as the top 10 programs in the country get the majority of the higher end talent year over year in recruiting, there will not be a shortage of guys wanting to transfer. The issue is going to be beating out other programs for that talent once everyone sees how successful it can be

I'm not sure I fully agree on the overall ceiling of a few of the guys you've listed but in general this shows where my concern is. Give or take a few missed names, this is only 20-some guys. How are we going to increase high end talent in terms of quantity? Your last sentence has been my concern all along (Perhaps I didn't state that well enough) and I agree with your assessment 100%. If other programs start to get in to this market and the NCAA doesn't make any attempt to regulate it, we're no longer in a position of strength. This why it is imperative for us to increase our talent from HS seniors. And i'm telling you, that's going to be a serious up hill battle for a team that doesn't win more than 5 games.

Deleted member 654622

D
I'm not sure I fully agree on the overall ceiling of a few of the guys you've listed but in general this shows where my concern is. Give or take a few missed names, this is only 20-some guys. How are we going to increase high end talent in terms of quantity? Your last sentence has been my concern all along (Perhaps I didn't state that well enough) and I agree with your assessment 100%. If other programs start to get in to this market and the NCAA doesn't make any attempt to regulate it, we're no longer in a position of strength. This why it is imperative for us to increase our talent from HS seniors. And i'm telling you, that's going to be a serious up hill battle for a team that doesn't win more than 5 games.
So my question for you is, do you see this team winning 7+ games next year?
If so, and we only win 5 this year. Then I am going to assume Lovie has a terrible recruiting class as we do not flip anyone and possibly some already committed kids bounce out. This will leave a serious hole that would need to be filled eventually. But if we are successful in the year we all believe, will Lovie not have the ammo to get not just back up to where he was but even farther? Without going into the depth chart and doing a strong analysis, I would think we would need to land a few transfers for sure to help fill that void, but should not derail the program from its progression. Thoughts?

Deleted member 746279

D
I must be in the minority. But I don't care. Let those dudes have fun. High fiving one fan and a three second dance is nothing to get worked up about. We have done worse! and not been flagged this year alone. Also, our kicker has a powerful foot. So instead of kicking the ball out of the endzone, the returner takes a knee in the endzone. So what. Same result.
As long as they don't disrespect the game and the other team, let them show their personalities. Don't try and make them someone/thing they are not.

When Kofi dunks all over EJ's head this year, I don't want him to act like he as dunked a basketball 1,000 times. I want him to look at EJ like he is going to eat him like a cheeseburger and roar like some Japanize karate cartoon!
raw
POTY

I agree the players should be allowed to have fun. The problem is that the NCAA has had the celebration rule for years and players should be aware of it because no matter what we think about this rule, the players should know the flag is coming. I did not think that even under this archaic rule, Bonner should have been flagged, but there is no excuse to get a second celebration penalty. That will not happen this week.
Players need to accept the rules so that in a tight game, the penalty does not affect the outcome.
There is also a much older rule that was not enforced against UConn, holding. The Refs let UConn get away with some of the worse holding I have seen. That also helped keep the game artificially closer.

I agree the players should be allowed to have fun. The problem is that the NCAA has had the celebration rule for years and players should be aware of it because no matter what we think about this rule, the players should know the flag is coming. I did not think that even under this archaic rule, Bonner should have been flagged, but there is no excuse to get a second celebration penalty. That will not happen this week.
Players need to accept the rules so that in a tight game, the penalty does not affect the outcome.
There is also a much older rule that was not enforced against UConn, holding. The Refs let UConn get away with some of the worse holding I have seen. That also helped keep the game artificially closer.

They haven’t had reason to celebrate, so they probably didn’t understand the rule.

I must be in the minority. But I don't care. Let those dudes have fun. High fiving one fan and a three second dance is nothing to get worked up about. We have done worse! and not been flagged this year alone. Also, our kicker has a powerful foot. So instead of kicking the ball out of the endzone, the returner takes a knee in the endzone. So what. Same result.
As long as they don't disrespect the game and the other team, let them show their personalities. Don't try and make them someone/thing they are not.

When Kofi dunks all over EJ's head this year, I don't want him to act like he as dunked a basketball 1,000 times. I want him to look at EJ like he is going to eat him like a cheeseburger and roar like some Japanize karate cartoon!
raw
Which would show VERY poor sportsmanship. No wonder things are settled with violence

Deleted member 654622

D
Which would show VERY poor sportsmanship. No wonder things are settled with violence
You say VERY poor sportsmanship. I say its letting the testosterone fly. Give me passion! Play the game. Let it out!
Was Jordan a poor sport here?
c87cb9ac3359430d33cdd674326e0728.jpg

Answer: No one really cares do they. Because its Michael Freeking Jordan

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
It’s easy, if they aim the celebration at the opposing team, flag em.

It’s not the pros yet, sportsmanship should still be enforced when players on each team interact.

But an intense celebration that includes a few seconds of joyous dancing (with your teammates), let that stuff go.

Mutombo would routinely wag his finger to opponents when he blocked shots even on attempted slam dunks. He stated in interviews that Michael Jordan had never dunked on him and implied that Jordan never would. When Jordan finally added Mutombo to his posterized list, he merely gave Mutombo a finger wag to say I dunked on you. It was professional basketball and everyone got the joke and both players later laughed about it. Perhaps college should be a little more refrained.

Jordan got a technical for it, though, which brings out the argument that refs just like the power trip associated with penalizing these types of things.

My original post was I had no issues with what the players did on Sat. I then said they should be allowed to celebrate as long as they don't disrespect the game nor the other team. But that little tidbit has gotten lost in the conversation.
As already mentioned, yelling when someone dunks on someone else is in every single basketball game. If that is classless in some eyes then they are going to be upset watching every basketball game, every time Tiger makes a big putt, when any young or Dominican player hits a HR, anytime Gronk spikes a football. So ya, if Lovie doesn't like that, then he also hates sports

A great example of this is the NFL trying to get rid of celebrations a couple years back. That lasted for just the 1 season and it went away. To go along with your point, I am 100% for anything that brings positive emotion to the game. These emotional moments in sports last forever. Its the negative emotion that should be prevented (to use a golf example: Sergio Garcia and many other players). That type of emotion or reaction should be penalized. I will never understand why non excessive celebrations of great plays are penalized. I for one, enjoy seeing players having fun.

I'm all for letting kids celebrate, but until the rules say you can do that in the end zone then keep it on the sidelines. Yeah, it is a silly rule but it is the rule and the Illini don't need extra penalties -- especially ones easily avoided.

the rule isn't no celebration, it is excessive celebration. <3 seconds not directed at the opponent is not excessive. i'd assume its been addressed: hand ball to ref, run to sideline, THEN celebrate...

BillyBob1

Champaign
Wonder if they added up the number of times Betiku was held and it wasn’t called!

On the offensive side, they complained that he didn’t throw to a wide open Sidney for a td, however, he hit Barker for a td on the same play.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

Deleted member 29907

D
Wonder if they added up the number of times Betiku was held and it wasn’t called!

On the offensive side, they complained that he didn’t throw to a wide open Sidney for a td, however, he hit Barker for a td on the same play.
Yeah, while I don't agree with all the critiques,I do appreciate the film. For example I think some missed defensive plays were either holds or a trip (in one case). In one play where we didn't get pressure it was 6 blockers against 4 defenders - so clearly they were in protect mode and we were in fallback and defend.

Again, I enjoy seeing these - its just that unless you know the offensive or defensive play call - the critique may not always be valid.

I would assume both the offense and defense will be pretty vanilla until we get to Nebraska. Don't give the scouts anything unless it is necessary to win.

Deleted member 654622

D
Yeah, while I don't agree with all the critiques,I do appreciate the film. For example I think some missed defensive plays were either holds or a trip (in one case). In one play where we didn't get pressure it was 6 blockers against 4 defenders - so clearly they were in protect mode and we were in fallback and defend.

Again, I enjoy seeing these - its just that unless you know the offensive or defensive play call - the critique may not always be valid.
After finishing the O breakdown, my original assessment of Sydney's potential impact in this offense is huge. Peter's has GOT to go through his progressions more. That seem from the slot is money if utilized

Doesn’t matter, it was the crown of the helmet making the hit. “How hard of a hit” becomes subjective and would be too hard to regulate. Look at the Illini offensive breakdown below (7:30 mark) and tell me that’s not targeting.

Also, watch the rest of it while you’re at it. Pretty good stuff.
Rule says it has to be a forcible hit. If you re-watch the game, you'll see a similar hit on the opposite side of the field I think on the next play. Your interpretation could cause a lot of blocks to be called targeting.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Rule says it has to be a forcible hit. If you re-watch the game, you'll see a similar hit on the opposite side of the field I think on the next play. Your interpretation could cause a lot of blocks to be called targeting.

There is a difference between a block and what you saw there though. Usually blocks are maintained so you can’t just launch at a dude. And even if you did launch, how often do guys try to “launch block” at the head? It’s always trying to trip a guys’ feet up.

That was obviously a forcible hit and it was crown of the helmet AND it launched our dude out of bounds.

Targeting. Right in front of the ref as well.

It was an easy call considering what we had been called for earlier in the game.

There is a difference between a block and what you saw there though. Usually blocks are maintained so you can’t just launch at a dude. And even if you did launch, how often do guys try to “launch block” at the head? It’s always trying to trip a guys’ feet up.

That was obviously a forcible hit and it was crown of the helmet AND it launched our dude out of bounds.

Targeting. Right in front of the ref as well.

It was an easy call considering what we had been called for earlier in the game.
The refs are supposed to call anything close and let the booth confirm, and of course the booth can call it as well. Right in front of the ref and the booth; maybe it wasn't so obvious. I've never seen a hit like that called targeting in any game before, have you?