Illinois 34, Western Illinois 14 POSTGAME

The reason why is was called targeting was because he lowered his head and hit him with the crown of his helmet. If he keeps his head up the whole way he probably doesn't get the penalty. Gotta see what you are hitting now.

So the defender can snap his own neck on the tackle?

Again, never played myself...but I think we've reached a point where the tackling in football and the rules of football are so unaligned that players can't play the game.

Deleted member 29907

D
Understood.

Still not sure what we gained by burning a game for Robinson where he did little but hand the ball off. (I'm working off memory...but I'm pretty confident the Illini didn't run a lot of quarterback-dependent plays with him...in the what...3 plays he ran?)

I would assume the thought is - what 4 games coming up do you think he could play in as 3rd string? Give the kid a few snaps, let him touch the field at a point we're certain and it presents itself. The chance to get back in as 3rd string may never likely come up again this season.

Deleted member 29907

D
So the defender can snap his own neck on the tackle?

Again, never played myself...but I think we've reached a point where the tackling in football and the rules of football are so unaligned that players can't play the game.
At least in the pros, they are supposed to consider what the offensive player does just before impact - if he lowers his head - it should be taken into account. Watkins had been hunting for big hits and this is the chance you take. I thought the offensive player lowered his body at the same time.

It feels so weird to find myself praising the special teams. Wasn't there a game during the Cubit era when we gave up attempting field goals altogether because we were basically incapable of making them?

And don't forget the sideline interference calls and ridiculous timeouts and refusal to play Bailey and O'Toole. Ironically Zook is the special teams coach for the Packers. Remember that we were only 2 plays from winning every game.....

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
What is he supposed to do on that targeting? I am genuinely interested in how a coach is supposed to teach tackling. He went down low, didn't launch, and wrapped the guy. The receiver lowered his body bracing for impact and their heads collided. There is no other way to tackle him other than going all the way to the ground and grab his ankles (a good way to miss the tackle) or running up to him to him, stopping, and wait to see what kind of move the receiver makes.

Ever since this targeting stuff changed a few years ago players have been complaining that it would lead to more lower body injuries. I wonder if anyone has been tracking it to see if there has been an increase in lower body injuries and/or a decrease in concussions. If it was 10 years ago that safety certainly isn't going for Dudek's knees.

The conference should review all targeting DQs (akin to red cards in futbol). Watkins should get a reprieve. But he won't. Pretty ridiculous. Echoing jrichisamazing, what the heck was he supposed to do? (serious question)

Understand the need to protect the players, but you bring up a very good point about the side effect being increased lower body injuries. Fully believe the data will eventually back that up.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Man, Rivers can really sling it. Who was our last QB with that kind of arm? Juice?

Except MJ showed hints of accuracy...

I was happy with the overall performance. Happy to be cheering for the O&B! Hope it continues. The FR QB Rivers looked quite good. Missed the first quarter and a half the 2nd, so I have yet to see Bush play. Not sure how these two stack up, but if they are even close, play the FR. Was happy to have the game on real TV with FIOS on the overflow network, especially since I live in MA.. Dropped Comcast about a month ago.

Did not see the 1st game yet. Have it taped. Is it worth watching?

GO ILLINI!

On 4th down with Robinson at QB, I called for them to go for it so he could get another set of downs and make his appearance in the game more worthwhile. He handed off once and ran twice. Used to be the Illini could not cover a kick to save their soul. Now we cover kicks quite nicely. But on kick returns, a penalty every time. We had to start around our own 10 yard line far too often. What happened to throwing to the tight end, or throwing to anyone over the middle?

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
On 4th down with Robinson at QB, I called for them to go for it so he could get another set of downs and make his appearance in the game more worthwhile. He handed off once and ran twice. Used to be the Illini could not cover a kick to save their soul. Now we cover kicks quite nicely. But on kick returns, a penalty every time. We had to start around our own 10 yard line far too often. What happened to throwing to the tight end, or throwing to anyone over the middle?
I was happy with the overall performance. Happy to be cheering for the O&B! Hope it continues. The FR QB Rivers looked quite good. Missed the first quarter and a half the 2nd, so I have yet to see Bush play. Not sure how these two stack up, but if they are even close, play the FR. Was happy to have the game on real TV with FIOS on the overflow network, especially since I live in MA.. Dropped Comcast about a month ago.

Did not see the 1st game yet. Have it taped. Is it worth watching?

GO ILLINI!
Just watch the second half ;)

Say what you want about the game itself, the atmosphere was remarkably marvelous. Way more fans and students showed up on a miserable day than I ever thought. The Marching Illini were great as usual. I had a great time at the game. And had I-55 south and I-70 west all to myself on the way home.

I'm guessing Carter has a broken leg and will sit the rest of the year. What a shame, he's a real performer.

Western Illinois took some injuries, too. If their big playmaker is out for future games, they're going to look like a very different team. Gotta hand it to them, they played well.

Yay walk-ons! The Marchese brothers are special, and all the walk-ons who made it to the field showed that they can contribute. It might be the only time they see the field this year (I doubt it, they can contribute), so I'm happy they got in with a win.

The irony about the new targeting rule is it does nothing to protect linemen who suffer more related issues than any other position, smashing helmets together play after play for an entire game. You gotta wonder if the next generation of speedy little guys like Carter and Dudek look to other sports if these knee injuries start to become a thing.

I don't know what it is about the Lovie era, but these games always have the feeling like this is just some dress rehearsal and the real thing isn't until tomorrow or something.

I had the same thought, like Lovie's treating these early games like the NFL preseason: work out the kinks, protect the stars, and see what you got with the rookies and 3rd stringers.

I had the same thought, like Lovie's treating these early games like the NFL preseason: work out the kinks, protect the stars, and see what you got with the rookies and 3rd stringers.

These tweets express it perfectly

How do you judge a thing like that? I feel like at some point we're going to flip a switch and stop doing that, but what if we don't?

These tweets express it perfectly

How do you judge a thing like that? I feel like at some point we're going to flip a switch and stop doing that, but what if we don't?

Yeah, I think the new redshirt rule lets coaches play around with personnel a lot more, and especially us with the suspensions and key injuries. And maybe the plan is to build some depth with actual game experience. And maybe it's a nod to our recruiting pitch of 'hey come to Illinois and play right away.' I mean, we're clearly limiting Epstein's touches right now, saving him for bigger foes.
So I'll withhold judgment until the B1G season starts, when I'm thinking (hoping) it'll be all Hobbs and Adams and Williams, with a dash of rising stars like Martin.

Lovie has a steady, stoic personality. A steady, low risk defense. And supposedly tells recruits to go home and ponder their decision before making a commitment. This same guy supposedly has a depth chart that seems to “shuffle every week without rhyme or reason”? I’m sorry I’m not buying it. That would run counter to everything Lovie inherently seems to be.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
Yeah, when you're in your third season in charge, and still as far from winning as we are, the next man up should be the better player, regardless of year. I do agree that this staff hasn't exactly fed the studs so far. That better be the case come B1G season.

ritster

Wheaton, IL
The did throw to the Freshman tight end . Went through his hands on what would have been a sure TD

You have a lot of your projected two deep out. I think that and why not let some of the guys we plan on redshirting play right now to see what we have and get them a taste. Clearly they are limiting some playing time of key players such as Epstein. With four games in which to do that with, why not? That is building for the future. You also do not wear down your starters and what if one of your intended RS stand out. Lovie wants to win now. Not later. For those saying it is year three, it is year two of his recruiting classes. We have what, 76% sophs or younger. Youngest team out there. One senior starter on defense. One. Not much more on offense. Get those frosh a little PT so they know what it is coming, and then redshirt them. To much we want to win now, but, don't so this to do it. It is a process and he is building from the ground up and I see what he is doing. Funny how lots of talking heads talk about the noticeable improvement, but the fans do not see it. I do.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I was really impressed with Rivers. his arm strength looks like he can put the ball anywhere on the field, with what looked like good football i.q. and made quick decisions. Get the footwork and strength and we may have something special.