Illinois 37, Michigan State 34 POSTGAME

was just on 247 and reading the in game forum from spartan fans. One guy actually said "someone should punch that female ref in the f...ing face"

Makes me like our fans that much more. That person should be banned from all social media, in my mind.

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
I stand corrected. I was wrong. I thought that the 2019 University of Illinois football team would be outcoached and outfought each week. I am happy for the Dre Brown, Jamal Milan, Reggie Corbin, Dele Harding group that stuck around when they could have just as easily gone elsewhere. I am excited for the Isiaiah Williams, Marquez Beason, Luke Ford group that will be inheriting all of this. And thank you Brandon Peters for having the game of your life when the Illini needed it.

Now I will go back to what fueled me during my years as a student: Portofino Macanudos and Gentleman Jack.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
I am so damn proud of this team. They have amazing heart and compete like champions. Its not like they are winning games all their games against a bunch of cupcakes and have a fluke win. They are stepping up to challenges and winning really tough football games. Congratulations to Lovie who has worked his butt off to build this program (when he really didn't have to take this job in the first place), and congratulations to all of these players especially the upperclassmen who have been through hell to get to this point.

Brandon Peters isn't perfect, but he is showing that he has it in him to be a top half of the B1G quarterback. Cant wait to see what he can do for us over the next year and a half.

I made a "grown up" decision after a brutally-busy few weeks to stay at home and refrain from making the 7 hour roundtrip to East Lansing. I knew if I didn't go this team would make me regret my decision. I am glad they did just that, but man now I really wish I was there for that game. What an experience. Will definitely be happy to follow the team to Iowa City in two weeks! Then its just a matter if I head down to Champaign for the Northwestern game or the B1G Challenge, or both!

Lol Michigan State led 28-3... (Honestly they deserve all the ridicule for wearing those disastrous uniforms to begin with. Its frankly no surprise they blew this game because of them.)

Ended up watching after the grandchildren went to bed. Stopped watching at 28-3. Asked my wife and she said 31 - 10, asked later and we were within 4. All I can say is holy sh**. I am serene and dumbfounded. Went to the UConn game, and was at the point of saying Lovie has to go when we lost 4 in a row. Never dreamed this would happen.

GO ILLINI!

Holy sh**!

They are not listed on the participation list

Shoot. Was hoping Shammond would get some run, I think he’s got a game or two before he burns the redshirt.

Tolson did not play well today. His understanding of our checks was clearly an issue, he did a lot of guessing.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Thinking back on this now, I have to wonder about MSU taking their timeouts during the last goal line stand. It's a tricky situation and not obvious to me which strategy is better.

(Warning - long & winding post ahead)

Advantages to taking your TOs:
- Preserves time if you give up a score
- Rests the defensive guys between plays
- More time to scheme/coach the D

Disadvantages
- Opens up the offensive playbook - no reason to limit yourself to "TD or incomplete" type passes
- More time to scheme/coach the O
- Preserves time in the event of >4 downs due to a penalty.

The extra strategy time is probably a wash between offense and defense, although it might favor the offense a bit by allowing substitutions. Rest time seems to be a little bit more valuable for the D. I think those are more minor factors and it likely comes down to which team gets more value from preserving that time. Is it more likely to be the trailing team (giving them extra time to score and go ahead), or the team that's ahead (giving them time to answer a score)?

There's a parallel to hoops here, and it's not fouling up 3 — it's fouling up 1. Say you're up 1 late, on defense, with the shot clock off. Should you foul, or let the other team have the last shot? If you're in a game where your opponent is scoring >1 point per possession on average, the numbers would say yes — you're more likely than not to be losing after their possession, so you ought to want time left — but not many coaches do that*.

Anyway, taking the timeouts here is akin to fouling up 1. You preserve time for yourself but increase the other team's likelihood of scoring and going ahead. Not an identical situation as teams are more likely to punch it in from the 5 than score in one basketball possession, but it's the same basic trade off. Translating this football ending to hoops: MSU opted to foul, we missed the free throws, but they booted the rebound out of bounds and we scored with 2 seconds left for the win.

*(As an aside, this is one reason I think basketball fouls should be delayed calls until a score or change of possession, a la hockey. Saving time is a massive positive for the losing team late in games, and a team shouldn't be able to accomplish it through what's in essence a rules infraction.)

Last edited:
Late post but had to wait for hands to stop shaking in order to type. Too much coffee or was it the game? These kids continue to fight. How long have we been asking for half time adjustments and a team that still has gas in the tank in the 4th quarter? We all wanted wins, but remember those teams that were so young, with so little depth that we just couldn't compete at the end of the game and opponents would pull away? Hats off, once again, to a staff that didn't lose kids after a tough losing streak (and that after three years of tough football). You can't be rewarded with those amazing comebacks if you quit and these kids just don't quit. We still make head scratching mistakes from time to time but they don't let it get them down. I think Lovie said something to the effect that you're never as good as your best headlines would have you believe and you can't let the lows get you down either. Team is really a case study in perseverance in the face of adversity. These kids just keep grinding. Illini fans have to learn to stick with these kids for all four quarters.

Thrilled for this team and for Illini nation. The players and coaches deserve all the props they're getting after hanging so tough and turning the game, and for that matter the season, around. Great job, Lovie!

sacraig

The desert
I stand corrected. I was wrong. I thought that the 2019 University of Illinois football team would be outcoached and outfought each week. I am happy for the Dre Brown, Jamal Milan, Reggie Corbin, Dele Harding group that stuck around when they could have just as easily gone elsewhere. I am excited for the Isiaiah Williams, Marquez Beason, Luke Ford group that will be inheriting all of this. And thank you Brandon Peters for having the game of your life when the Illini needed it.

Now I will go back to what fueled me during my years as a student: Portofino Macanudos and Gentleman Jack.

Your time as a student was very different from mine.

So a sincere question for Illini fans: Which victory was the best/most enjoyable/most significant one so Illinois so far this season? Maybe the most significant one wasn't the most enjoyable one? Anyhow, something to debate about where everybody can happily agree to disagree.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
So a sincere question for Illini fans: Which victory was the best/most enjoyable/most significant one so Illinois so far this season? Maybe the most significant one wasn't the most enjoyable one? Anyhow, something to debate about where everybody can happily agree to disagree.

I have to go with Wisconsin. To knock off #6 at home for Homecoming and having it be the start to a four game, Big Ten winning streak? I don't think it can be beat.

I have to go with Wisconsin. To knock off #6 at home for Homecoming and having it be the start to a four game, Big Ten winning streak? I don't think it can be beat.
I would agree with that. However, was this game more exciting/fun for you when you come back like that in the fourth quarter? Again, no answer can be wrong, it's like when the waiter asked Homer Simpson if he wanted one steak or two steaks for dinner and he said "Both!"

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
I would agree with that. However, was this game more exciting/fun for you when you come back like that in the fourth quarter? Again, no answer can be wrong, it's like when the waiter asked Homer Simpson if he wanted one steak or two steaks for dinner and he said "Both!"

I'm saying no because I was at FOBAB today (thank God - all that high % beer kept me relatively chill while following along on my phone) and didn't get the same emotional high I did being in the stands and rushing the field for Homecoming.