Illinois 37, Michigan State 34 POSTGAME

Lot of people complaining about that PI at the end of the game. It may have been a little iffy but as I said during the game, you have to understand situational football. If you make non-ball contact on a play in the end zone, more often than not a flag will come out and you as a defender much be cognizant of that. I understand it may be iffy but have no sympathy for anyone blaming the refs for that ending. You have to understand situational football.

I agree. I think it could have gone either way, and these loser of the call would have a fair gripe.

however the replay did clearly show he pulled the shoulder pad down, not allowing reams to extend for the catch.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
I've seen a lot of people questioning the pass interference call in the end zone at the end. To me, that looked like an easy call. The DB started grabbing the guy's shoulder pads as soon as he crossed the goal line. That was clearly P.I., wasn't it?

I've seen a lot of people questioning the pass interference call in the end zone at the end. To me, that looked like an easy call. The DB started grabbing the guy's shoulder pads as soon as he crossed the goal line. That was clearly P.I., wasn't it?
That’s the way I saw it too. Not sure why people think it “could have gone either way”. But I’m not that football savvy. It looked pretty blatant as a Defensive PI.

texillwek

🔶🔹🔸🔷
We're mentioned in the headline on the front page of ESPN.com this morning.
Save it for the archives

illini_espn.png

Deleted member 19448

D
From day one my hope was that if Lovie started to turn it around this thing might really take off. He is an imminently likeable man who carries himself with high level of class. Crazy a month ago the most visited thread in this site was the coaching search discussion and I’ll admit I read it.

I’m thrilled we get to see where he can take this.

Deleted member 29907

D
That gets called against the D 95% of the time they actually see it - especially that close to the endzone. Going down the field on longer routes the handchecking and jostling is a different thing as it usually ends before the ball gets there. Plus he also put a hand in his chest right before the ball got there (pretty close tho).

That gets called against the D 95% of the time they actually see it - especially that close to the endzone. Going down the field on longer routes the handchecking and jostling is a different thing as it usually ends before the ball gets there. Plus he also put a hand in his chest right before the ball got there (pretty close tho).

I wouldn't say 95% but your general point is 100% correct. It's non-ball contact in the end zone, you have to be cognizant of the fact that the flag is more than likely to be thrown there.

Doug Kramer got called for a pretty iffy hold on the long Corbin run that people complained about but it's the same scenario and I criticized Doug for it. You're the pivot, your hands got outside and you pulled. It doesn't matter if it really wasn't that egregious, the line judge standing over the top of you is going to throw that flag more often than not and Doug needs to be aware of that. The PI flag was no different. It';s all situational awareness.

MSU faithful can complain all they want. They're wrong. The DB has to know the risk of a flag is high there, that's just the way the game is called.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Considering I was also one of the people on here that was determined that Illinois needed a new coach after the EMU game, I'll take some of that crow. I appreciate the others on here mentioning how they also want to eat their words from previously, but I'll also say that the comments were warranted at the time. Having serious doubts after such a crummy three years and then losing to EMU at home before the start of B1G season was understandable.

I tend to agree. When I look at recent Illini QB's (post Nate), I'm not sure we'd be at 6-4 this year without Brandon Peters transferring-in. He's incredibly solid, cool-headed and he has Big 10 arm. His decision making has been a key!
I like the fact that no matter what happens to him its automatically onto the next play... forget the last play it's all about this one...
That is an intangible that no man or woman can teach...

I posted last week after the game about how I felt like positivity had began to feed off positivity - I still think that's true, but what's also definitely true is that we've got some terrific young leaders on this team. They're in control of their emotions and are executing in **tough** situations. What an absolute treat this season has been.

What a great gut wrenching win although I was screaming at the tv on some of our play calls inside the ten. Its so nice to see some things work out well for the good guys. Probably a lot of fans turned the channel too soon and didnt see the glorious finish.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_0b19dae1-5027-5b58-b062-3ba0ac9fda2a.html

“Everybody didn’t believe in us, there it is,” senior running back Reggie Corbin said. “It’s good. I hugged Coach Smith, and he said, ‘This is what you stayed for.’ My stats haven’t been the greatest. I expected that when I came back. I would trade this year for last year any day of the week. We played great team football. I’m so glad I stayed. I finally get to experience a bowl game. It’s not over. We’ve got to win more and go to a better bowl game.”

Deleted member 645583

D
It is so good to see Lovie in videos having fun, smiling, jumping up and down, etc. Great job, Coach!

Another thought: Brian Barnhart for president! Anyone, in any way, connected to Illini football, for president - this glorious morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sydney Brown's INT return was one of a couple of times this year where Illini ball carriers caused me to observe "Dang...we've got B1G speed on our team!" So happy to see it.
I thought White half-assed it. Brown ran pretty much in a straight line, but looked like white gave up with 30 yards to go.

Sydney Brown's INT return was one of a couple of times this year where Illini ball carriers caused me to observe "Dang...we've got B1G speed on our team!" So happy to see it.
Previous play BL had a qb run and it looked like he was shaken up on the play....no stoppage for injury. Think it was 3rd down on INT but not sure. Was hoping for a longer passing play, thought BL could make a bad decision/throw if his head wasn’t right, and he did.

Deleted member 645583

D
I will have to admit though....the Packers had the ugliest uniform in sports but now that MSU showed up in those putrid costumes I'll have to amend my comment to say the Packers have the ugliest uniforms in professional sports. What were the Spartans thinking??!!!
They weren't.

DeGroot is a forgotten player. He played as a true freshmen than has fallen further in the depth chart. Glad to hear he is playing solid we need the depth.
Think he moved to LB during fall camp, like ware. Good to see he found a position that looks like a fit. Great game in first significant action! Same with Tolson, great game and really made an impact. Looked like he lost contain a few times, but kept fighting and stayed really involved, was in on many plays.