Illinois 37, Michigan State 34 POSTGAME

LOL, yeah, stop trying to figure it out. I wasted an hour of my life doing the same, there’s no logic to it.

I mean, he’s our only vertical threat. He’s been beating your press man all game long. In what world is single man high with a safety in the middle third a winning strategy against Josh on 4th and 16? It’s idiotic. Mike Tressel needs to answer for that because he cost his kids a chance to celebrate victory.

Only thing I can think of is that MSU went single high but was going to shade him to Bebe side, but the roll out away from Bebe pulled the safety away. Just going off my fuzzy memory. It was a long day of drinking.

Only thing I can think of is that MSU went single high but was going to shade him to Bebe side, but the roll out away from Bebe pulled the safety away. Just going off my fuzzy memory. It was a long day of drinking.

That was my first thought but the safety is lined up too far to the middle hash for that to be shade. You're asking him to cover too much ground for that to be effective.

Just went back and watched the play again. Ball was on the left hash and safety was line up on that hash. I think our original thought was right.

Thanks for double checking.

Still an idiotic call but I've thought about it too much already. We won, I'm content to move forward.

Or it was a great designed play by the Rod Man

How? The rollout is not a design to affect the safety. It's a design to allow the route to develop. There's nothing particularly great about that. It's not bad of course (I want to emphasize that, there's no criticism due here either) but it's also no display of Sean McVay type acumen. If you're Rod the mindset is simple: My OL struggles in these situations, Brandon just took a sack 2 plays earlier and if I don't gain at least 16 yards the game is over. This is routine.

How? The rollout is not a design to affect the safety. It's a design to allow the route to develop. There's nothing particularly great about that. It's not bad of course (I want to emphasize that, there's no criticism due here either) but it's also no display of Sean McVay type acumen. If you're Rod the mindset is simple: My OL struggles in these situations, Brandon just took a sack 2 plays earlier and if I don't gain at least 16 yards the game is over. This is routine.

I think this is where we disagree. This is the position I played. If I saw a rollout in Man Free (Which we are assume correct?) I would move with the qb. Bebe took an inside release and stacked his corner to run a 9. Thats a loooong throw to gain 16 yards. Regardless of what either of us think, it happened and we won and its over.

I think this is where we disagree. This is the position I played. If I saw a rollout in Man Free (Which we are assume correct?) I would move with the qb. Bebe took an inside release and stacked his corner to run a 9. Thats a loooong throw to gain 16 yards. Regardless of what either of us think, it happened and we won and its over.

I don't want to drag this thread into a conversation between solely us (Done that in other threads and need to stop). Maybe we continue this via PM? It's an interesting line of thinking, I've never seen it coached that way.

I don't want to drag this thread into a conversation between solely us (Done that in other threads and need to stop). Maybe we continue this via PM? It's an interesting line of thinking, I've never seen it coached that way.

It was a hugely important play that impacted the game. I think there are people like me who enjoy reading others' takes on how things played out, even if we don't always hop into the conversation ourselves. I coach high school and enjoy reading and learning from different perspectives. This is a long way of saying, I'm good with you guys keeping it in this thread.

It was a hugely important play that impacted the game. I think there are people like me who enjoy reading others' takes on how things played out, even if we don't always hop into the conversation ourselves. I coach high school and enjoy reading and learning from different perspectives. This is a long way of saying, I'm good with you guys keeping it in this thread.

Thank you, I appreciate that and am happy my diatribes are of at least some use to someone. Unfortunately, there is not much to elaborate on here. Orange To Blue appears to be correct and I'm likely wrong.

I was busy fulfilling an obligation to break down another game and just got finished up to check this out again. It seems as though I have fallen into the classic trap of analyzing a play based on what I feel should happen as opposed to what IS happening in real time (Classic mistake). Orange is right. MSU brings pressure, the safety reads "roll-roll" and the roll side CB drops. The coverage is probably (I think) correct per the call, our play is designed to force this coverage look. Here's where I'm confused: Why would MSU ever call this look against this offense, in this situation, this down and distance? It essentially guarantees you no protection against our only vertical threat running the 9 or the 8. Poor situational playcalling.

I don't agree. The contact doesn't appear to influence the WRs ability to catch the football and there's essentially contact from both sides. That's a call that could in theory go either way. But this isn't a normal call. It's an end zone ball where the defender initiates non-ball contact. Those flags will get thrown in that situation, regardless of whether or not the interference is egregious.

I disagree right back at ya. It's pretty hard to jump for a ball when the DB has a hold of your shoulder pad. BTW, though I may disagree with you, I love your view on the team. Keep 'em coming, you are one of the best posters on here.

Thank you, I appreciate that and am happy my diatribes are of at least some use to someone. Unfortunately, there is not much to elaborate on here. Orange To Blue appears to be correct and I'm likely wrong.

I was busy fulfilling an obligation to break down another game and just got finished up to check this out again. It seems as though I have fallen into the classic trap of analyzing a play based on what I feel should happen as opposed to what IS happening in real time (Classic mistake). Orange is right. MSU brings pressure, the safety reads "roll-roll" and the roll side CB drops. The coverage is probably (I think) correct per the call, our play is designed to force this coverage look. Here's where I'm confused: Why would MSU ever call this look against this offense, in this situation, this down and distance? It essentially guarantees you no protection against our only vertical threat running the 9 or the 8. Poor situational playcalling.

The corner did allow an inside release and it looks like he was funneling Bebe in that single hi safety. So that bracket look was correct until the safety moved with the roll. My only explanation for the call from MSU was maybe stubbornness? Or pride? They might have assumed they were going to get pressure. It doesn't make sense. If you want to play man, do it in a 2 hi look. If you want to bring pressure bring 0.

The corner did allow an inside release and it looks like he was funneling Bebe in that single hi safety. So that bracket look was correct until the safety moved with the roll. My only explanation for the call from MSU was maybe stubbornness? Or pride? They might have assumed they were going to get pressure. It doesn't make sense. If you want to play man, do it in a 2 hi look. If you want to bring pressure bring 0.

Bold: Correct, this is what the CB must do. Force him inside or allow him to take the option to the dig. He has no protection to the other routes, he has little other choice.

Your book recommendation is on hold at the library for me to pick up. Good bye-week reading. Hopefully I'll understand what you guys are saying! (Actually, I'm sort of following.)

Your book recommendation is on hold at the library for me to pick up. Good bye-week reading. Hopefully I'll understand what you guys are saying! (Actually, I'm sort of following.)

LOL. I would suggest waiting for another time. Right now we're breaking down a play that, in this situation, doesn't make any sense.

Is anyone else curious what the goal line play call was that Peters fumbled the snap? Maybe that was the best play call of that series, but we'll never know!

The play that won the game was a great play. But watching it there was a great block. It freed up Peters to throw the pass. It was a cut block. Without that block Peters might have been sacked.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Maybe Tressel just overthought that 4th and 16? Like he was trying to play chess with Rod Smith in his head.

Tressel’s thought process:

“They need 16, Rod is definitely going to Bhebhe. But I bet that is what he WANTS me to think. So I’ll find a way to cover the play that ISN’T going to Bhebhe. But I bet he already knows I’ll do that. So, I’ll shade the safety to the hash to confuse him. But I bet he won’t be fooled by that, because he CLEARLY sees it coming, which is why I’m going to...” (By this point we’ve already completed the pass)

Rod’s thought process:

“Throw ball at Bhebhe.”

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Maybe Tressel just overthought that 4th and 16? Like he was trying to play chess with Rod Smith in his head.

“They need 16, Rod is definitely going to Bhebhe. But I bet that is what he WANTS me to think. So I’ll find a way to cover the play that ISN’T going to Bhebhe. But I bet he already knows I’ll do that. So, I’ll shade the safety to the hash to confuse him. But I bet he won’t be fooled by that, because he CLEARLY sees it coming, which is why I’m going to...” (By this point we’ve already completed the pass)

Rod’s thought process:

“Throw ball at Bhebhe.”
giphy.gif

Rod’s thought process:

“Throw ball at Bhebhe.”

lol, great post.