Illinois 38, Rutgers 10 POSTGAME

I believe we will win these next 3 games until proven wrong. The team bought in and are having fun!!!

We asked the players to trust the process and invest into our alma mater. When we hit our next setback I asked the fans to do the same.

Matt Millen made it a point that the program needs fans and students at the game. Possibly for Northwestern the University gives away 10K tickets

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois

Wow! Fantastic! That photo of that catch is special, ilphotog.

Last edited:

LJ22

Chicago, IL
Beason is good to be back next year, yes?

Beason is good to be back next year, yes?

Should be ready for camp but we need to temper expectations. ACL injuries still take time to adjust to and Beason will now be, essentially, 20 some odd months removed from actual game play. We need to expect slow progress and if it goes better, be pleasantly surprised.

Should be ready for camp but we need to temper expectations. ACL injuries still take time to adjust to and Beason will now be, essentially, 20 some odd months removed from actual game play. We need to expect slow progress and if it goes better, be pleasantly surprised.

This just reminded me of how much I also can't wait to see Edwin Carter Jr back out there.

This just reminded me of how much I also can't wait to see Edwin Carter Jr back out there.

Yeah, that’s a tough one. Our WR room is pretty stacked. I don’t think he’ll get on the field for us until at least 2021, if at all.

Tough break, he’s a good kid with some skill.

Torn on the decision to not let the backups score at the end. Probably the right decision.
If we “let them score,” we look bad for running up the score. If we go for and don’t make it, we just look bad. Going for it is lose-lose.

Wish we had made it in, however. 45 has better optics going into MSU than 38. 🤔

Something else this offensive attack needs in addition to Daniel Barker, more throws to Bhebe. Sounds stupid because he’s already targeted at a high percentage but the kid is simply too damn good to not throw the ball up to him any time he gets a Cover 0 look. Even if ends in a pick, I’m ok with it. More often than not Josh will make those plays and they’ll be huge, momentum changing plays. If we see Josh with those looks pre-snap, scrap whatever your first read is and throw him the football.
Why didn’t that 1stQ touchdown not count for Bhebhe? Sure looked like he had control and his foot touched in bounds.

For years I have watched the game on tv and listened to brian B. on the radio, but I changed after the first half of the scUM game....and since then we have had 3 1/2 games of " Big Boy " performance's...so I think since I have been listening to the tv announcers that I have had a hand in the turnaround of the beloved...
.Hey, it's been a long time since we have had this much fun following the Illini football team, so cut me some slack in my disillusioned existence here...
:cool::illinois::shield::chief::hailtotheorange::thumb::ah::ms:

Had no clean Illini shirts for the UW game. Have not worn one on game day since! Let the trends continue!
Not weaing a Bears shirt today either.

GO ILLINI!

Why didn’t that 1stQ touchdown not count for Bhebhe? Sure looked like he had control and his foot touched in bounds.

Iffy call. My interpretation is that the official didn’t consider his second step a “football move”, which is what the rule book states it must be for him to be granted control of the football.

Hard for me to say, partly because I’m biased but I thought it was a 50-50 call that should have gone our way but didn’t. It happens.

Iffy call. My interpretation is that the official didn’t consider his second step a “football move”, which is what the rule book states it must be for him to be granted control of the football.

Hard for me to say, partly because I’m biased but I thought it was a 50-50 call that should have gone our way but didn’t. It happens.
What would constitute a football move in the end zone? You catch the ball and that's it

What would constitute a football move in the end zone? You catch the ball and that's it

No. You have to establish full control of the ball. If you don’t complete the catch, which Josh did not, you don’t establish control. He either has to complete the catch through the fall to the ground or he has to make a football move, like an additional step or two steps, to establish control which would have made his losing of the ball at the end a fumble caused by the ground and thus a TD.

Obviously, the officials and the guys in the booth didn’t see his second step as a football move. I’m clearly speculating, I wasn’t in the booth to hear the thought process but I’m guessing they viewed it as nothing more than the momentum of his body falling forward as opposed to a football move. Again, iffy call.

Would have been very difficult to overturn after the call on the field was incomplete. We likely lose that challenge.

IlliniReb

Dallas-Fort Worth
I have a rules/strategy question that pertains a little to today's game. Rutgers' punter used a rugby style that was allowing his coverage to get well downfield before he kicked. A lot of punters are doing this now. There is no ncaa rule against men downfield on a non-passing play. However, I think also then there is no running into or roughing penalty against a punter on a rugby-style kick. Isn't there some way to execute a special rush against a punter that is using this style of kick? It must be difficult because I haven't seen it in any games.
Bumping this cause I'm very curious on this as well. Any of our rules savants have an answer?

Scoring with backups should never be considered running up the score. My opinion, at least.

I think that’s fine up until the point where you don’t have to run a play anymore. The kids who don’t see much time deserve the opportunity to complete and play 100% in the time they’re given. But once it goes under 40 seconds on the game clock, you wouldn’t run a play with starters in there, and that should hold true for backups as well.

We all wanna see the walkon score at the basketball game, and he has he green light to shoot until the shot clock is turned off. Same thing here.

We asked the players to trust the process and invest into our alma mater. When we hit our next setback I asked the fans to do the same.

Matt Millen made it a point that the program needs fans and students at the game. Possibly for Northwestern the University gives away 10K tickets
High school seniors who've applied to to U of I are offered three free seats for the Northwestern game.

Deleted member 654622

D
Good Day gents. My quick (hopefully) rundown of the game from a frozen arse in section 108 perspective:
1. Behe didn't maintain possession throughout his fall. Not a catch and I am glad Lovie didn't waste a challenge
2. I am unsettled about the offensive strategy. The past 3 weeks we seem to be beating the opposing D down with constant runs till the second half where we start to break some. Then we sprinkle in a little more down field throws. Ok if we keep it close I guess I can understand that. But odds are we wont move that ball against better teams with this lack of stretching the field. Bebe had one on one coverage with no safety help for basically the entire game. The idea of pounding the rock is to get those ideal matchups. We had the matchup, call the play! If Peters was not so inexperienced, I would also be content with the very conservative strategy. But he needs actual passing reps to prepare for the tougher defenses the rest of the season.
3. The offensive line apparently needs reps in passing protection as well. Any stunt and they looked lost as hell
4. From my view point the stadium looked decent filled. It wasn't overly loud though. But I was also in the daycare section I think. Young kids EVERYWHERE. Guess what, 6 year old little girls don't care about the football game. I am not saying don't fill the seats, just pointing out the environment
5. I am not sure how many people actually saw the Bobby video at halftime. It was freeking cold and the majority of us all went inside for the entire halftime. I had no idea the video was played.
6. Coran, Randolph, Gay and brother Sidney looked good

They are running a ticket special for the Northwestern game. $10 tickets of purchases of at least 4 tickets for the horseshoe and second level up until Wednesday I believe

Good Day gents. My quick (hopefully) rundown of the game from a frozen arse in section 108 perspective:
1. Behe didn't maintain possession throughout his fall. Not a catch and I am glad Lovie didn't waste a challenge
2. I am unsettled about the offensive strategy. The past 3 weeks we seem to be beating the opposing D down with constant runs till the second half where we start to break some. Then we sprinkle in a little more down field throws. Ok if we keep it close I guess I can understand that. But odds are we wont move that ball against better teams with this lack of stretching the field. Bebe had one on one coverage with no safety help for basically the entire game. The idea of pounding the rock is to get those ideal matchups. We had the matchup, call the play! If Peters was not so inexperienced, I would also be content with the very conservative strategy. But he needs actual passing reps to prepare for the tougher defenses the rest of the season.
3. The offensive line apparently needs reps in passing protection as well. Any stunt and they looked lost as hell
4. From my view point the stadium looked decent filled. It wasn't overly loud though. But I was also in the daycare section I think. Young kids EVERYWHERE. Guess what, 6 year old little girls don't care about the football game. I am not saying don't fill the seats, just pointing out the environment
5. I am not sure how many people actually saw the Bobby video at halftime. It was freeking cold and the majority of us all went inside for the entire halftime. I had no idea the video was played.
6. Coran, Randolph, Gay and brother Sidney looked good

They are running a ticket special for the Northwestern game. $10 tickets of purchases of at least 4 tickets for the horseshoe and second level up until Wednesday I believe

Good analysis. From my point in the frozen tundra of section 110, I think part of the lack of noise is that clapping hands with gloves on adds quite a muffled effect. I agree about the Behe catch. Had it been ruled a catch and touchdown, I don't think they would have overturned it, but they ruled it an incomplete, and I think it was 50/50 enough that they weren't going to overturn that either.

My 7-year-old daughter begs to disagree about 6-year-old girls caring about football. She's been to every home game since her birth, and lives for gameday.

No wrong decision there. Wish we would have gone for it though, the kids who wait to play deserve the chance.
Trying to score and running the offense as if the score is tied is not running up the score . What do they learn if they are lay down run the clock out drones?