Illinois 38, Rutgers 17 POSTGAME

Little pass rush and vanilla D
We only outgained them 419-386. It's nice to get a win, but that's not the performance we were hoping for, the performance they were openly willing to hand us.
Okay question...isn’t this sort of what Lovie’s D does? I always thought that was the underlying theme of the bend don’t break D. So for example Indiana had 100+ more yards than Rutgers and won by 7. We nearly tied and won by 21 by forcing more turnovers among other things. Am I wrong in this thought? I truly don’t know.
The Lovie game is "Make them beat us." Be solid on the fundamentals, we're not, and make the other team use low-probability plays to beat you. Look at the how statistically accurate Illinir1's post below was. Lovie is straight up trying to be the House.
A run threat from the QB is so refreshing - key to the offense.
Yep. Adds another variable the opponent has to account for. Their guy threw a better percentage than he has in the past, but he couldn't move the ball with his feet. For us, think of how many times AJ used his feet to advance the ball on a broken plays. Plus two rushing touchdowns. If he can get in the groove with his arm, look out!

Definitely left some points and yards on the field today. But, I've come to the conclusion that Lovieball, by its nature, doesn't often mean dominating yardage, even in comfortable victories.

Agreed. For some fans that might be frustrating, but if slow and steady wins the race, I'm all for it.

I got the sense that soon, the dread I've lived with will dissipate, and I'll really be able to enjoy the games again. I don't mean that as a bust on Lovie, quite the opposite in fact. For me, Zook took the fun out of winning. Victory was so unreliable and unpredictable. Its hard to have fun in competitive games when you've braced yourself for a lousy season, not to mention the inventive ways we could steal a loss from a winnable game, or a win from out of nowhere....my heart couldn't take it. I think Lovie is the absolute answer to wild, unexpected variability in performance.
Tooting my own horn from game week post.
Great call! Your converting the stats absolutely nailed it.
Hey we won more than two games this year
You mocking?

We will win at least 3 more.
Nice. I'm still viewing the perfect season, (okay, perfect with the option for more), as going into the NW game with five wins. Having a sixth win come at the expense of the kitties would be absolutely fine with me. :)

my eyes have seen progress this year and I think there's a chance to really show it the rest of the way.
Totally agree.
Oh, and suck it Robert! ;)
Man, he's been dreading this game, hasn't he? This win has got to mean more to him that anyone else not on the team. This would have been a hard loss for the program, I think. Look at how much negativity is evident on this board even after beating Vegas by...16 or 17 points? The bitter has gone on so long, the taste lingers, I get that. But Lovie took a Rex Grossman football team to the SuperBowl. I mean, that doesn't happen if you're not a great coach, period.
Today was a +1 step program momentum builder.... lose at home next week against a very average Purdue team, it's two steps back. That said, I'm thinking we take care of business and get to an impressive 4-2 record!
Uh, so in your mind, winning the games Vegas says you should is one step forward, but losing to teams you're supposed to is two steps back?! That's unhealthy thinking right there.
I’m happy, I’m content. We performed as we should have. A few mistakes but kept scoring and executing. It is a huge relief to have that big ten win. Lovies job depended on this victory, imo. We got it.
I don't agree that his job was on the line, because Josh is smarter than that. But the media narrative would have become a much heavier lift. And jebus are some fans unwilling to see the evidence of progress. If it were a snake it woulda bit them by now.

I must be the only one who isn’t high on bush. I feel like 89 yds against Rutgers is indicative of problem.

He is the best we got and landed him late. We might be looking to land a solid veteran qb in the transfer market next season. Likely 2 years away from developing our QB from the group of Isiah, Rivers, Robinson, etc...

Aj played well. My worry is the receiver Corp. Trenard and Ricky played okay but we need more from them and the tight enda.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Anyone have any info on why Dorsey hasn't been playing? I thought he would be back when the others came off their suspensions.

Deleted member 29907

D
Totally agree.

Man, he's been dreading this game, hasn't he? This win has got to mean more to him that anyone else not on the team. This would have been a hard loss for the program, I think. Look at how much negativity is evident on this board even after beating Vegas by...16 or 17 points? The bitter has gone on so long, the taste lingers, I get that. But Lovie took a Rex Grossman football team to the SuperBowl. I mean, that doesn't happen if you're not a great coach, period.

Uh, so in your mind, winning the games Vegas says you should is one step forward, but losing to teams you're supposed to is two steps back?! That's unhealthy thinking right there.
I don't agree that his job was on the line, because Josh is smarter than that. But the media narrative would have become a much heavier lift. And jebus are some fans unwilling to see the evidence of progress. If it were a snake it woulda bit them by now.
Have to agree - I don't get all the hand wringing after we beat a team by 17 points over the line... Maybe we're doing better than we think eh?

Hey Camelot, funny thing, Penn St. fans were saying the same thing after the 3rd Quarter. Take the V and move on.

I was very dissapointed in the finish of the first half.
Agreed, but I was happy with how they responded. I also think that was the more important lesson.
---

Nothing impressed me more than Lovie in the postgame presser. The man is so even keel, but he was noticeably looser and more relaxed with his answers. He spoke about the importance of the win, and that it really felt like a winning locker room. But he wasn't hyped up, he's just so in perspective and even keel. I really can't understand why he isn't more widely believed-in across Illini nation.

He also said that this presents a great opportunity next week against Purdue. The upside of a win will not be missed by this team.

How long has it been since we played for an upside as big as we could get from a win over the Boilers? That's real progress, win or lose.

I’m not feeling negative tonight but we had more roughing the passer penalties (1) than sacks (0) against a freshman one-read QB who is not mobile, in the slightest (-3 rushing yards today). We’re not getting away with that again this year. I know it offends this staff’s core philosophy but we need to adjust with some new schematics to generate pocket pressure or we’re going to get lit on fire from now to thanksgiving. You can’t win like that unless we play Rutgers every week which (checks schedule) we don’t.

ritster

Wheaton, IL
Anyone have any info on why Dorsey hasn't been playing? I thought he would be back when the others came off their suspensions.

No inside knowledge, my guess is the attitude adjustment required by Lovie has not kicked in yet

...I know it offends this staff’s core philosophy but we need to adjust with some new schematics to generate pocket pressure or we’re going to get lit on fire from now to thanksgiving...

This is easier said than done, I'm afraid, largely due to what I'm perceiving to be a lack of chops in the DL Coach area.

sacraig

The desert
We only outgained them 419-386. It's nice to get a win, but that's not the performance we were hoping for, the performance they were openly willing to hand us.

Lovieball has seemingly always been about generating turnovers more than completely stifling the opposing defense. If course you'd like to make sure you are capable of making key stops, but key stops include turnovers, not just stuffing every play for a yard or so.

For the poster who was concerned about Bush's 89 yds. Yes, he can definitely improve, but had a 40 yd. or so TD dropped and Epsteins 30 or so yard catch called incomplete.

For the poster who was concerned about Bush's 89 yds. Yes, he can definitely improve, but had a 40 yd. or so TD dropped and Epsteins 30 or so yard catch called incomplete.

AJ didn’t throw that Epstein pass.

I’d say the worry with ajs passing right now is really just the timing. He’s clearly not in rhythm yet and we need him to be ASAP. We can complain about the drops but he’s been consistently late on throws, and turning guys around because of it. Hopefully his timing arrives soon.

AJ's timing was definitely off today on his throws, but what wasn't was his accuracy which is way more important imo. I think he will be sharper next week

Deleted member 29907

D
AJ's timing was definitely off today on his throws, but what wasn't was his accuracy which is way more important imo. I think he will be sharper next week
Agree - AJ's been out for almost a month - lets all give him a bit of time to get in rhythm. He had a 55% completion rate for the game and we had at least one easy drop.

Deleted member 533939

D
The so so:

Special Teams wasn't great. Missed FG and a couple of good kick returns for Rutgers. Thought Sandy missed a couple of opportunities as well
Rutgers best return was 27 yards to their own 28 yard line.