Illinois 42, Akron 3 POSTGAME

Dan

Admin

:illinois:

Last edited:
We crushed a mediocre MAC team. Big deal, I mean that’s what’a supposed to happen, right? But in 2017 we struggled our way to a narrow, too-close win against 2-10 Ball State. In 2018 we struggled our way to a narrow, too-close win against 2-10 Kent State. And I’d say both those games were ominous harbingers of what was to come later those seasons. So I’ll take this crushing and feel good for a week.

Deleted member 4960

D
I think we looked ok on offense. Defense looked much better. Be much more competitive team. I think we break through and make it to a bowl. Nebraska looks weak

We crushed a mediocre MAC team. Big deal, I mean that’s what’a supposed to happen, right? But in 2017 we struggled our way to a narrow, too-close win against 2-10 Ball State. In 2018 we struggled our way to a narrow, too-close win against 2-10 Kent State. And I’d say both those games were ominous harbingers of what was to come later those seasons. So I’ll take this crushing and feel good for a week.
Sixty percent passing completion rate with three TDs and no turnovers. If that becomes a pattern, we'll go bowling.

Given how infrequent we've had the chance to take a week to feel good about the team, I think you're making a good choice. And I'm hopeful the opportunities grow more frequent.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
This was a great step forward. Complete beatdown of a bad MAC team. Now go out and comfortably defeat UCONN and it'll be much easier to believe in a six win campaign.

Hard to take a lot from this one, as Akron is pretty bad. That said, dialing up pressure on defense is good to see.

Think we will be 3-0 heading into the husker game, and they certainly looked bearable. Their offense was really anemic today.

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
I am glad the program took care of business in both style and substance just like they should have. I am intrigued to see where things stand by the Michigan game, but as far as I can tell it looks like the team is more athletic, better prepared, more talented, and more competent at key spots.

The secondary depth and OL depth are concerning, but I am certainly excited to see what Betiku and Eifler can do in conference play.

Deleted member 29907

D
Only concern - other than the injuries - is the space their receivers had to catch balls. We could have blitzed more, but perhaps Lovie wanted to see what his D line could do on their own to cause pressure. They eventually did.

Deleted member 4960

D
Peters wasn’t great hitting receivers on routes. He hit the wide open receivers and the passes out in the flats. His passing trying to go over the top especially in the end zones was not good. Hopefully more time with the receivers will help.

Peters has a habit of overthrowing into the endzone, but he'll be able to correct that. IW didn't play because I think they're slow-playing a recovery.

Feel so bad for Epstein.

Deleted member 656517

D
Was good to see the beloved dominate against a team that we should. Lovie+Rod didn’t show much. We’re Still the best kept secret in college football! IW will have his time, Matt Robinson looked like the Akron qb

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
Peters has a habit of overthrowing into the endzone, but he'll be able to correct that. IW didn't play because I think they're slow-playing a recovery.

Feel so bad for Epstein.

Having a guy like Josh Imatorbhebhe and his ability to "post up" smaller guys will help Peters on some of the overthrows. Ditto for (next year) Luke Ford.

But I agree, some of his red zone throws were problematic.

Think he was just being over-conservative in the red zone? Didn't want to get picked off and didn't take a chance? I only ask cus a couple of them were very very overthrown. Looked as if he was just throwing them away