Illinois 42, Akron 3 POSTGAME

Anyone know the attendance?
Boxscore says 30k. Of course, that includes all tickets sold. I'd guess 25k in the seats. Good news, there were enough students to actually do card stunts. Best stunt was when they spelled out FREE LUKE FORD. The new student patio, or whatever they are calling it was devoid of students. Looked like a couple dozen old geezers, but barely any students.

overall good performance. offense has good possibilities. defense still concerns me especially when the competition is better. lets enjoy a convincing win and hope we stay healthy and continue to improve.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Certainly a solid first game performance by the Illini, dominating a very poor Akron team to the point that the game became quite boring after the third quarter. My two concerns coming out of the game were the penalties and the fact that Akron's wide receivers were pretty much open all day and they had a ton of drops. This game was a great dress rehearsal for the Illini but I don't know if it is a good indication of how good or bad they will be the rest of the season. Akron just didn't match up athletically with them at most positions. Feel terrible for Epstein, but it's pretty clear that his body can't hold up to this level of play. Looks like they have quite a few running backs that can produce.

20190901_183246.jpg

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...mack-return-fields-5-td-debut-top-wild-week-1

breadman

Herndon, VA
Excellent game! No matter who the opponent is.
Lovie with a little giddyup to his step. Good to see.
Lovie very upbeat in the post game interview.
Let's hope for the best for MikeyE2.0. I for one want to see this guy run, and keep running this season.
As for not seeing IW, well, on this day he is still healthy.

Nice win. According to the announcers, that makes 22 consecutive home opener wins -- the longest streak in the country. Who would have thunk it?

Feel so bad for Epstein. And an unfortunate (but correct) targeting call on Joseph.
I think they said 4th longest winning streak for home openers. Still impressive.

Deleted member 645583

D
Way to go, Illini!

Now beat those uppity New Englanders!

I know whereof I speak: a lot of them treated me and others like we were simple s--t kickers from the Midwest. Well, New England, I hope you're going to get a royal kick-fanny from the Illini.

Seriousy, no real animosity toward east coast. Was a great time there in my youth.

Dre: BTN coverage said Illini staff are high on him, or something like that. Poor Dre: Dacron didn't kick off to him or anyone much.

No disrespect to Akron - just thinking of National Lampoon High School Yearbook - Kefauver Kangaroos, Dacron, Ohio.

Go Zips! Go Roos! I'll roo-t for you until you play NIU.ine

That Akron QB was just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid first game. Watched the whole game and didn't see any major flaws, but would like to see the secondary tighten up a bit. Some of the Akron receivers were wide open on their routes and the qb just missed them. We looked great when we applied some pressure so I hope we can build on that.

The transfers were a massive success, especially in the pass rush game.

Our transfers were a massive success, without them we are closer to the prior Lovie teams. The combine recruiting average for those transfers is 95+. I believe all these transfers minus Petibone can return next year. Add Ford and D Smith and we are looking pretty solid. We also had the Miami WR for a moment.

Lovie/Illinois is establishing themselves ad a landing spot for former 5 star talent. What position will we need transfers next year? I think RB/WR/DB depth might be greatest need. But we are looking good at all positions.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
....This game was a great dress rehearsal for the Illini but I don't know if it is a good indication of how good or bad they will be the rest of the season. Akron just didn't match up athletically with them at most positions.....
Nice win by the team yesterday, especially compared to the early season struggles of the past few years. But, as for using yesterday as a measuring stick, get this: the Illini beat the Zips 38-7 in 1996. The Illini went on to finish the year 2-9, 1-7, which ended Lou Teppers Illinois career. I won't be chugging the orange kool-aid just yet.

Solid first game. Watched the whole game and didn't see any major flaws, but would like to see the secondary tighten up a bit. Some of the Akron receivers were wide open on their routes and the qb just missed them. We looked great when we applied some pressure so I hope we can build on that.

The transfers were a massive success, especially in the pass rush game.
Thought DB's were a strength, but it seemed like receivers were open a lot as noted above.

The box score shows Tony Adams with a reception. When did that happen? Maybe the announcer said it but she was saying so many wrong names I might have just dismissed it. They wouldn't credit the wrong #6, would they?

jmilt7

Waukegan
Hmmm...well, I am too lazy to go back and listen to it again so I won't disagree with you on it.
Not to pile on, but I remember reading the stat last week somewhere (IlliniNotes?) and we were third or fourth, I don't remember which but JimILL is probably right with fourth. Maybe they misspoke on the radio or wherever you heard it. Or maybe what I read is wrong. I tried doing a google search but all I can come up with is longest streak, or winning streak at home. Can't seem to narrow it down to home opener.

The box score shows Tony Adams with a reception. When did that happen? Maybe the announcer said it but she was saying so many wrong names I might have just dismissed it. They wouldn't credit the wrong #6, would they?
They would. That should have gone to Dom Stampley, I believe.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Not to pile on, but I remember reading the stat last week somewhere (IlliniNotes?) and we were third or fourth, I don't remember which but JimILL is probably right with fourth. Maybe they misspoke on the radio or wherever you heard it. Or maybe what I read is wrong. I tried doing a google search but all I can come up with is longest streak, or winning streak at home. Can't seem to narrow it down to home opener.

The ticker on the bottom of the B1G Network said 4th...

Going to be Mr. Obvious... won't know if we are a decent to good team until week 4...unless we lose in weeks 2 or 3. I saw a lot of positives...but opposition was below par...think their qb was decent..but not much help.

Illini_1979

Oregon
The ticker on the bottom of the B1G Network said 4th...
OK, you all are correct. I went back and listened and it sounded like she said "one of the longest streaks in college football" (I am paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words she used).

But, anyway, as others have said, a pretty impressive streak nonetheless. Now we have to wait until next year to find out if it will continue! :)

Going to be Mr. Obvious... won't know if we are a decent to good team until week 4...unless we lose in weeks 2 or 3. I saw a lot of positives...but opposition was below par...think their qb was decent..but not much help.

Statisticians might disagree with you. This is the first piece of evidence. Each game will add to the evidence. Any individual game may be inaccurate, but combining all the evidence gives us insight into the state of the program. Last two years, we played comparable programs, this is the first time we manhandled the really bad team. Trend is up. We are still on pace to win 4 games with, now, 4-5 tossups (up from 3, with Minnesota and Michigan state showing their hand). Minnesota is no better than the rest of the big west. Michigan state has no offense. Both teams are beatable at this point.