Illinois 42, Akron 3 POSTGAME

They would. That should have gone to Dom Stampley, I believe.
Thanks. That's what I initially thought, but then I thought, "Well, surely they wouldn't give a reception to a defensive player unless they were absolutely sure he made the reception."
Michigan state has no offense. Both teams are beatable at this point.
I'm not really sure you need an offense if you can hold your opponent to 80 total yards of offense for the entire game.

SKane

Tennessee
Big win.

Lots better than being South Carolina, Tennessee, or Virginia Tech today.

Or, more relevantly, lots better than being Minnesota, Nebraska, or Purdue.

Deleted member 654622

D
1. Yes it is Akron. But we struggled to beat crap teams last year. We have improved and that is what we are looking for right? It's a positive, hard stop.
2. Didnt really hear Petitbone's name called during the game. Means he didnt dominate but didnt screw up. Positive
3. I think we showed more on D than I'd like, as far as multiple blitz packages and Dline stunts. It be nice to dominate on pure talent vs a bad team. But, you also have to get game reps with these things. Its nice to see so many notes from the D line on the defense review.
4. I'm disappointed in Dele. Were gonna need more from him if were gonna stop any B1G teams.

IlliniReb

Dallas-Fort Worth
1. Yes it is Akron. But we struggled to beat crap teams last year. We have improved and that is what we are looking for right? It's a positive, hard stop.
2. Didnt really hear Petitbone's name called during the game. Means he didnt dominate but didnt screw up. Positive
3. I think we showed more on D than I'd like, as far as multiple blitz packages and Dline stunts. It be nice to dominate on pure talent vs a bad team. But, you also have to get game reps with these things. Its nice to see so many notes from the D line on the defense review.
4. I'm disappointed in Dele. Were gonna need more from him if were gonna stop any B1G teams.

WRT the bolded.....I think so to but, like 5Star, would love to hear people who really know weigh in

We did what we were supposed to do . . . no dissing the opponent but the beloved did their job. They dominated a team they were supposed to, and I think even the most pessimistic fan would say we looked pretty darned good. Yes, we weren’t perfect, but not a single other team in the nation looked perfect.

Now on to UConn (where I’ll be connect with BWBW!) where we just need to do our job. Beat the inferior team, continue to prove we “belong”.

Thanks. That's what I initially thought, but then I thought, "Well, surely they wouldn't give a reception to a defensive player unless they were absolutely sure he made the reception."

I'm not really sure you need an offense if you can hold your opponent to 80 total yards of offense for the entire game.

Very good point. The question is, how much better is our offense than Tulsa? Also, how much better is our defense? I don’t think we are a better team than MSU, I think we match up well against them and wouldn’t be surprised to see an upset. A lot us to do with health of our team by the end of the season, but this is my favorite upset pick.

Regarding the defense showing blitzes and stunts, was there really that much more that a team couldn’t get from film last year when Lovie was DC? I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal, and I know that they will install new things based on the type of offenses they face in the coming weeks.

I was wondering if the official scorer was the same guy who applies the helmet stickers. Anyone?

Deleted member 654622

D
Regarding the defense showing blitzes and stunts, was there really that much more that a team couldn’t get from film last year when Lovie was DC? I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal, and I know that they will install new things based on the type of offenses they face in the coming weeks.
Its possible it looked like last years, I would have to go back and check. Whatever they did then, didn't work though. So nothing crazy stood out. The DLine stunts and the LB fake blitz, then fake coverage, now blitz was successful, so it will be emphasized during preparation. I would much prefer not showing anything. Which was my point

Dele didn't look very good (missed his gaps and over pursued multiple times in run game), I wouldn't be surprised to see Cooper in some sub packages before the end of the year. Hansen also had some early screw ups in coverage, but he improved it.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Dele didn't look very good (missed his gaps and over pursued multiple times in run game), I wouldn't be surprised to see Cooper in some sub packages before the end of the year.

Don't think Shammond has enough mass currently to play MLB. If Harding's out, It will be Barnes or Tolson.

Deleted member 29907

D
Its possible it looked like last years, I would have to go back and check. Whatever they did then, didn't work though. So nothing crazy stood out. The DLine stunts and the LB fake blitz, then fake coverage, now blitz was successful, so it will be emphasized during preparation. I would much prefer not showing anything. Which was my point
I understand the point of saving some things for larger opponents but if UConn's OLine has not practiced against simple DT/DE type stunts, then we should win by 1000. The stuff we're doing there is not anything out of the ordinary and I'd rather our guys get the practice in to see what works and how to work the technique.

Deleted member 654622

D
I understand the point of saving some things for larger opponents but if UConn's OLine has not practiced against simple DT/DE type stunts, then we should win by 1000. The stuff we're doing there is not anything out of the ordinary and I'd rather our guys get the practice in to see what works and how to work the technique.
Yes I mentioned the value in game reps during my initial post. But given the option of the two, I would rather our front 7 just out athlete their entire first 3 opponents O lines. I'm not really concerned about UConn beating us

Deleted member 654622

D
Don't think Shammond has enough mass currently to play MLB. If Harding's out, It will be Barnes or Tolson.
Shammond looked pretty good in his small sample. But ya, the size comparison def stood out. He will be a player! I hope we can redshirt him

Thats why he would be good in sub packages, like Nickel or Dime sets. That being said, we didn't sub on 3 and 4 WRs looks last game.
I think even being light he looked better than Barnes and Tolson. Also Lovie mentioned linebackers in this system are basically SS's, so I'm not really worried on size if that is his prototype. It probably is matchup dependent too, I'd rather play Dele againist Iowa and Wisconsion, but play Cooper againist Nebraska.

Shammond looked pretty good in his small sample. But ya, the size comparison def stood out. He will be a player! I hope we can redshirt him

I don't think we have enough LB depth to redshirt him at this point, just play him for reps this year and start him next year in Dele's spot.

Having a guy like Josh Imatorbhebhe and his ability to "post up" smaller guys will help Peters on some of the overthrows. Ditto for (next year) Luke Ford.

But I agree, some of his red zone throws were problematic.

They weren't perfect, obviously, but Peters protected the ball. He put it where only our guys could get to it. Plus, first game with the rust from having sat, so I'm very optimistic. Peters looks like our best QB since Juice.

Deleted member 654622

D
I don't think we have enough LB depth to redshirt him at this point, just play him for reps this year and start him next year in Dele's spot.
I have to respectfully disagree. I think our LB debt, barring injuries is looking pretty good. Barnes is Dele's backup as of now. You never know what can happen in a year however. We don't need to sub in any LBs since Milo is such a great athlete. He is essentially that 5th DB and 3rd LB all in one.
What will be interesting to me is next year. Only losing Dele, big growth from Tolsen, Barnes and Cooper PLUS adding in Derek Smith. And Smith moving from SS to LB would seem like he would fill Milo's current role.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think our LB debt, barring injuries is looking pretty good. Barnes is Dele's backup as of now. You never know what can happen in a year however. We don't need to sub in any LBs since Milo is such a great athlete. He is essentially that 5th DB and 3rd LB all in one.
What will be interesting to me is next year. Only losing Dele, big growth from Tolsen, Barnes and Cooper PLUS adding in Derek Smith. And Smith moving from SS to LB would seem like he would fill Milo's current role.
We might have to play Cooper in the DB area if we keep getting injuries.