Illinois 42, Akron 3 POSTGAME

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I have to respectfully disagree. I think our LB debt, barring injuries is looking pretty good. Barnes is Dele's backup as of now. You never know what can happen in a year however. We don't need to sub in any LBs since Milo is such a great athlete. He is essentially that 5th DB and 3rd LB all in one.
What will be interesting to me is next year. Only losing Dele, big growth from Tolsen, Barnes and Cooper PLUS adding in Derek Smith. And Smith moving from SS to LB would seem like he would fill Milo's current role.

Omitted Ware, who gave Eifler quite the battle this preseason. To your point, our LB group is getting markedly better, Harding's departure not withstanding.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think our LB debt, barring injuries is looking pretty good. Barnes is Dele's backup as of now. You never know what can happen in a year however. We don't need to sub in any LBs since Milo is such a great athlete. He is essentially that 5th DB and 3rd LB all in one.
What will be interesting to me is next year. Only losing Dele, big growth from Tolsen, Barnes and Cooper PLUS adding in Derek Smith. And Smith moving from SS to LB would seem like he would fill Milo's current role.

Honestly this whole time I can’t shake the idea that Derrick smith will end up as our next MLB.

Deleted member 654622

D
Don't count out Barnes. The staff loves this kid and he has been the backup the entire season.
This is where my intrigue comes in. If you break the LBs down by their physical abilities into two categories, add in the physical improvements from Fresh-Soph and Soph-Jun (Jun-Sen not as big as a jump since they have been acclimated to the training and diet), you end up with next year:
Bigger Stronger run stoppers (Lance Briggs): Senior Hansen 6'1" 225lb and Junior Tolsen 6' 230(projected)
More athletic speed LBs (Brain Urlacher): Senior Milo 6'2" 225lb, Redshirt Junior Smith 6'2" 220lb, Junior Ware 6' 220(Projected), Soph Shammond 6'2" 225lb (projected)

Tarique is already 6'1" 220lb. Reports are he is very athletic. How much weight does he add within one year with already being 220? What happens to his speed/quickness?

I really have a hard time projecting Hansen keeping his spot the rest of this year let alone next year with what is coming/maturing in the system. Good problem to have if they can all play