Illinois 54, Rutgers 51 POSTGAME

Very helpful to have the refs give US the benefit of the doubt on two close calls in the last two minutes.

Also, the difference on the defensive end now, compared to last season, in night and day. Love it.

Most, it appears, agree that the foul on Kipper near the end was the right call. I saw a guy (Kipper) bending over to hand the ball off and the defensive player ran right into him. I don't see the foul on Kipper? Can anyone explain it otherwise?

THis was a "point of emphasis" a few years ago. Coach's were making it a key part of their offense. Drive the ball right into the a different teammate's defender, then hand it off for the three, while the driver, "takes out" the defender trying to guard his teammate that he hands the ball to. The rules now emphasize that the guy driving the ball, in this instance Kipper, can't be moving and create an illegal screen. I play in a men's basketball league, and have a real good three point shooter on my team. This is one of my favorite plays to run when we really need a basket because at our level, it is never called a foul.

In essence, dunking used to be illegal, but now it isn't. This play used to be legal, but now isn't.

Big Tev fan, but he is behind Kipper and DMW at this point. Hoping for more time and success, but sitting set him back.

He stepped out and his lower leg was well beyond his hip. It was absolutely the correct call per the rule.

Not everyone who goes over the speed limit gets a ticket.
Did the refs not miss any fouls all night?
You can claim it was the correct call per the rule. I'm not here to argue that.
I will claim that when you get that call, in that particular situation, it is "home cooking".

Sorry, I didn't realize we couldn't be objective. From now on, when we win, we are final four contenders, and when we lose, the sky is falling.

If you want to be objective, perhaps share what you mean by “downfall” in your previous post. That’s a pretty subjective claim, and a particularly pessimistic one considering the conference standings after yesterday’s win.

Very good will to win game. Well done ILLINI, not so well done shooting. Defense was phenomenal, needed, improving all the time. BU teams get better in Jan-Mar, so I think we should have a real chance at 12-5 as of now. If we keep playing defense this way and actually shoot average to slightly above, we will have a chance to win many a game.

The inability to shoot, make 3s, and, in turn, spread the defense out will be the team's downfall. Unfortunately, shooting ability is not something that can be fixed.

So Trent Frazier won' revert to the 3 pt % he had for the past two years, he's stuck with what he's shot this year? Strange that you think you can't improve a guy's shooting technique as well.

Also, we have been taking care of the ball. I believe only 8 TO's today. Before we started winning, our typical night was +15 TO's.
Excellent post. Lack of TOs is really making us tough to beat when combined with outstanding D and rebounding. Tough team that Wood has been working towards.

Our shooting % is .460 for the year, so yeah, Mr. Objective!
Our field goal percentage is 46%, thanks in large part to points in the paint. Shaquille O'Neal had a career FG% of 58%, but that doesn't mean he was a good shooter.

This team's season will end (hopefully in the NCAAs) because they shoot 30% from beyond the arc. The defense and points in the paint mean they are in lots of games and will win their fair share, but the lack of shooting puts a ceiling on their potential success.

Our field goal percentage is 46%, thanks in large part to points in the paint. Shaquille O'Neal had a career FG% of 58%, but that doesn't mean he was a good shooter.

This team's season will end (hopefully in the NCAAs) because they shoot 30% from beyond the arc. The defense and points in the paint mean they are in lots of games and will win their fair share, but the lack of shooting puts a ceiling on their potential success.
Ayo .468, Feliz .478, Griffen .505, so yeah, Shaq, lol, Mr. Objective!! BTW, we beat Michigan, a well thought of team, with what, 1
3 pointer made? In any case, I certainly expect Trent to revert to how he shot from 3 for two whole years, vs how he's shot this 1/2 year.

Last edited:
Ayo .468, Feliz .478, Griffen .505, so yeah, Shaq, lol, Mr. Objective!! BTW, we beat Michigan, a well thought of team, with what, 1
3 pointer made? In any case, I certainly expect Trent to revert to how he shot from 3 for two whole years, vs how he's shot this 1/2 year.
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up FG% to defend a person's ability to shoot.

From 3 - Ayo .304, Feliz .273, Griffin .397 (leads the team by a wide margin)

The 3 point line was moved back this season, so I'm not sure Trent will revert. This might just be who he is from this distance.

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
Didn't see this mentioned above, but while looking around FoxSports.com I found the RPI from Jan 6 and look who had been #17

Screenshot_20200112-124752_Brave.jpg

just checked Kenpom we are up to 27, i guess WISC and MIZZOU win must of helped a bit because last nightwe were 31

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Thank God BU has changed his defensive approach! It was maddening to watch over the past two seasons.

That was a great Settles story during the pre-game explaining how it came about.
The turnaround on the defensive side of the ball is nothing short of astounding. Major props to BU for recognizing the need and effectively implementing the change.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up FG% to defend a person's ability to shoot.

From 3 - Ayo .304, Feliz .273, Griffin .397 (leads the team by a wide margin)

The 3 point line was moved back this season, so I'm not sure Trent will revert. This might just be who he is from this distance.
Because outside shooting isn't just 3 pointers. You said our FG% is high because of inside the lane ability, but Ayo shoots a number of midrange jumpers and obviously Griffen's .397 is very good. 1/2 a season is too early to make pronouncements on Trent. He's always shot a number of 3s well beyond even the current 3 point line. More likely Trent's numbers revert much closer to his prior percentages.

THanks for making this point. I don't think everyone understands. Eventually, kids will grow up practicing with that line, but this year, it is great to have Kofi.

Hutcherson and Miller may add some 3 pt firepower but wonder if the defensive intensity affects their shooting legs. Kipper had decent stats in his soph season and Trent/Ayo are way down from last year. Also wonder if Analytics suggest 3 pt shooting as important as rebounding and fouls to tourney teams.

Hutcherson and Miller may add some 3 pt firepower but wonder if the defensive intensity affects their shooting legs. Kipper had decent stats in his soph season and Trent/Ayo are way down from last year. Also wonder if Analytics suggest 3 pt shooting as important as rebounding and fouls to tourney teams.

Of course they are way down from last year. It'd be interesting to know how many d-1 players with a significant amount of shots have had their 3 pt % increase from last year...