Illinois 54, Rutgers 51 POSTGAME

I hate criticizing individual performances cause these are kids - but Damontes stat line today... ouch. I don’t mind AG coming off the bench but you need more from those 13 minutes.
Everyone contributed and the whole "bench DMW" is old, IMO.

Kinda funny, since the poster specifically said he didn't mind AG coming off the bench, clearly implying that he wasn't asking for Damonte to be benched.

Frankly, I'm trying to figure out the fixation of having to defend Damonte. Hell, someone gave Giorgi a D grade today and that guy didn't get criticized. He just was presented with a counter argument.

This team would be better if Damonte was contributing more. If you don't understand that, than you don't know much about basketball. I'm pretty confident that you understand it so I'm left wondering why the need to come to the guy's defense like this. Not sure if you're one of the ones continually doing it, but the people who want to gloss over DMW's deficiencies are kinda headscratching to me.

Please, somebody to look up the last win with that FG percentage. I'm astounded.

Did you watch his leg? They made the offensive foul on Kipper trying to give the ball to Kipper, the ref was consistent
I don't think they ever suggested that the call was the wrong call or a bad call - just that it was a "tough" call. It's late in the game and he was a bit wide and sliding. This is very similar to a player who is a tiny bit late and gets the block instead of taking a charge. This was the right call as was the one on Kipper.
I meant this as a reply to clusterbuster's post.
I

Kinda funny, since the poster specifically said he didn't mind AG coming off the bench, clearly implying that he wasn't asking for Damonte to be benched.

Frankly, I'm trying to figure out the fixation of having to defend Damonte. Hell, someone gave Giorgi a D grade today and that guy didn't get criticized. He just was presented with a counter argument.

This team would be better if Damonte was contributing more. If you don't understand that, than you don't know much about basketball. I'm pretty confident that you understand it so I'm left wondering why the need to come to the guy's defense like this. Not sure if you're one of the ones continually doing it, but the people who want to gloss over DMW's deficiencies are kinda headscratching to me.
I dont generally bash any college players. And will defend most of them from others bashing.
Save my critique for coaching...who are ultimately developing players and setting li eups. That's just me.

This finish after the emotional finish at WI tells me that we are right on track.

Lots of credit to Rutgers defense, but our decision making on offense was pathetic in the first half. Lots of room for growth for us here.

Props to the coaching staff for some half time adjustments.
Props to Dre' for not giving up on his game.
Props to Ayo for being Ayo.
Props to the refs. Let em' get after each other hard.

Props to the House of Paign!

Dre found out this morning before the game that his grandmother died, so maybe that's why he started out so poorly. Tough minded kid to fight through it and really contribute in the 2nd half. Prayers to Dre and his family.

This was in no way a great win....but it was an important win. When a team plays 10 minutes with little energy, bad passing, missed layups and brick after brick they are probably going to lose, When the same team continues to throw up bricks after deciding to get their head in the game and play tough defense they are even more likely to lose. But they didn't after shooting a rather consistent 29% for the game. They played defense and rebounded with a very tough rebounding team right to the wire. The difference was at the charity stripe where they shot 19 freebies and Rutgers 8. That is reversed in Piscataway and we lose per Big Ten officiating rules. That Kofi shot 5-6 from the charity stripe was huge and he deserves a pat on the back for his work and taking a beating. Sure wish these kids would learn to move the ball more quickly instead of pounding it into the hardwood and weaving forever off ball screens....but Underwood has made his bed. Not my cup of tea but I am not the coach.

Kudos to the guys for out-rebounding one of the best rebounding teams in the country. Rutgers basketball is no longer a door mat but a leader in America's toughest conference. They have size, quickness, smart players, shooting skills, a devotion to defense, and excellent coaching....deserving of a tip of the hat and respect for building a program and culture to be admired. Hopefully, the Illini are doing the same step by step. With Geo Baker in the lineup, this game would likely never have been close. Certainly, a win on Feb. 15 would almost assuredly earn this team nationwide respect but I don't see that happening....but we can dream.

Stay focused and bring energy against the Mildcats and then get ready to fight to the wire against two pretty good teams on the road looking to avenge a road loss to our guys. Tough to do, but winning a B1G title or even being in the hunt the last week is as tough a goal as there is in college hoops.

azillini1

Scottsdale
Also, we have been taking care of the ball. I believe only 8 TO's today. Before we started winning, our typical night was +15 TO's.

Cool, thanks.

When the selection committee is picking the field, I’m guessing these are used in the process?
NET was created by NCAA for the sole purpose of being used by the selection committee. NCAA publishes updated rankings daily.

Q1 are basically your tourney teams. Q2 are basically your bubble and NIT teams. More than 1 Q3 or Q4 loss is pretty bad unless there are enough Q1 wins to make up for it.

Last edited:

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL

To be fair, this team would be better if everyone contributed more, but I get what you are trying to say.

I like DMW. He does a lot of the intangibles. He has had some flashes of good offense. I wish he would trust himself to play more offense. He is not an offensive threat, but not because he is bad at shooting or scoring. It seems he chooses not to score and give the ball to someone else. I think it is a confidence thing.

He is a good defender and great rebounder. I have seen him jump for the rebound and I do a double-take because it looks like his shoulders are above the rim.

I don’t mind him starting. We have won a lot of games with him in the starting lineup. But, I am in the group that doesn’t care as much about who starts but who gets the most playing time.

On to the next. Beat Northwestern!

This was in no way a great win....but it was an important win. When a team plays 10 minutes with little energy, bad passing, missed layups and brick after brick they are probably going to lose, When the same team continues to throw up bricks after deciding to get their head in the game and play tough defense they are even more likely to lose. But they didn't after shooting a rather consistent 29% for the game. They played defense and rebounded with a very tough rebounding team right to the wire. The difference was at the charity stripe where they shot 19 freebies and Rutgers 8. That is reversed in Piscataway and we lose per Big Ten officiating rules. That Kofi shot 5-6 from the charity stripe was huge and he deserves a pat on the back for his work and taking a beating. Sure wish these kids would learn to move the ball more quickly instead of pounding it into the hardwood and weaving forever off ball screens....but Underwood has made his bed. Not my cup of tea but I am not the coach.

Kudos to the guys for out-rebounding one of the best rebounding teams in the country. Rutgers basketball is no longer a door mat but a leader in America's toughest conference. They have size, quickness, smart players, shooting skills, a devotion to defense, and excellent coaching....deserving of a tip of the hat and respect for building a program and culture to be admired. Hopefully, the Illini are doing the same step by step. With Geo Baker in the lineup, this game would likely never have been close. Certainly, a win on Feb. 15 would almost assuredly earn this team nationwide respect but I don't see that happening....but we can dream.

Stay focused and bring energy against the Mildcats and then get ready to fight to the wire against two pretty good teams on the road looking to avenge a road loss to our guys. Tough to do, but winning a B1G title or even being in the hunt the last week is as tough a goal as there is in college hoops.
An important win is a great win. Was it a Mona Lisa aesthetically? No. Would you rather have a 78-77 loss or a 54-51 win? In this league, a win is a win....period.

If this team didn't have energy, if they didn't bring fight....they would have lost by 20. You don't play that well defensively without energy.

Give credit to Rutgers. That is a really good basketball team. That is an NCAA tournament team. They are big, long, physical and in a game where the refs let both sides play....this is what you get. If the refs were calling ticky tack fouls, you would have seen a different game because defenders would have to give the offensive players more room to operate. If the refs called the game right, you would have not only ridiculed the refs, but our defense as well.

A good team can win under any circumstance. Low scoring, high scoring, tightly called, loosely called, home game, road game....game on Mars.

To shoot under 30% and win is 100% due to energy, grit, heart and ability to find a way to win.

Deleted member 29907

D
Also, we have been taking care of the ball. I believe only 8 TO's today. Before we started winning, our typical night was +15 TO's.
I also like the analysis that said constantly fouling teams don't make it very far. Who would have thought and why did it take a friend of Jr. Underwood to figure that out for us?

I also like the analysis that said constantly fouling teams don't make it very far. Who would have thought and why did it take a friend of Jr. Underwood to figure that out for us?
Yeah...that commentary during the game was interesting. Tyler's stat guru friend reviewed 10 yrs of sweet 16 teams.... common denominator is fouls given and I believe rebounds/ margin was the 2d common factor(?)