Illinois 59, Minnesota 51 POSTGAME

Am I the only one that wants so badly for Williams to hit a few buckets so he can gain some confidence? I appreciate what he brings to the court more than most others. He deserves to be rewarded offensively. He does so many other things well.

Agreed. He took some shots early that didn't fall. That's basketball. As long as he keeps up the intensity and continues to look for his shot, he'll find the hole. That said, we're at 7 straight Ws!
I-L-L

illini80

Forgottonia
That was a war. Minnesota brought it and took Ayo out if his game. Felix was huge all night. Good adjustment the second half to bring help on Oturu. Dude is an absolute stud.

winning-gif-4.gif

Win 2/3-5 at least to go to 11-5 after a brutal stretch coming up....

Iowa (?) pickem game imo
Maryland (W)
MSU (L)
Rutgers (?) Geo is back so as he goes they go?
Penn State (?) We are going to.....

I could not disagree more. All 5 are wins for the taking. The only thing holding this team back right now will be themselves. Unless a team has a 3 pt shooter than can hit it consistently from 5 feet beyond the arc I don’t think there’s anything they can’t guard and they have about 7 different ways to score.

Let's not forget...that's two games straight where DMFW hands have made HUGE plays at the end of the game.
He has contributed greatly the last two games..but just as we can be overly critical...we can go overboard praising a guy that is scoreless in 2020. I get it..more to the game than scoring and tonight he had rebounds and blocks..but he has had a number of games where he has done zip. Hope tonight's game is more indicative of future performances.

Nothing worth having comes easy...and first place in the B1G at the halfway point sure wasn't easily earned. Now the really, really, really tough part of the schedule starts and 5-5 just might be something we would look back and loved to have had...but another 8-2 is possible for this team...we just don't know except it will be exciting and have us on the edge of our seats.

Love the fact that Pitino's gross error in judgement of having his players flop backfired and may have been the biggest factor in the loss down the stretch. Play the freakin' game and play it hard...but cheaters never win in the end.

Props from me also for a great game from DW. It just boggles the mind that he has played the game all his life and can't seem to find a way to get the ball in the net. I have seen film of him hitting jumper after jumper with a nice stroke...but not this year.

Anyway, this team is playing like one finally...on both ends...and looking fairly competent on offense at times. Not early tonight as Minny was expending great energy to shut them all down and playing tight which requires faking and quick stops on drives instead of trying to finish over close defenders. Hope the coaches use it as a learning moment as that will happen again...especially in big games and in the big dance games when kids come out higher than the moon.

Overall, i love what I am seeing as this team learns, grows, and becomes B1G warriors....returning the legacy of great Illini basketball.

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
Am I the only one that wants so badly for Williams to hit a few buckets so he can gain some confidence? I appreciate what he brings to the court more than most others. He deserves to be rewarded offensively. He does so many other things well.

Yeah, for sure. His contribution to the team is definitely underrated. Just wish the offensive production was there for him.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
He has contributed greatly the last two games..but just as we can be overly critical...we can go overboard praising a guy that is scoreless in 2020. I get it..more to the game than scoring and tonight he had rebounds and blocks..but he has had a number of games where he has done zip. Hope tonight's game is more indicative of future performances.

Nope. Gotta stop you there. Not a single game where "he has done zip". He just hasn't scored. I get it....so does everyone else. Including his head coach.

He might be the most impactful, scoreless player in CBB history!