Illinois 59, Minnesota 51 POSTGAME

We have no answer for Garza and Iowa has multiple players that can hit from 5 feet beyond.

That's the one team in the league that is just a matchup nightmare for us.
Meh, our guards are quicker and better defenders. We'll be in their grills. Griff is back, so our depth is solid again. Garza can't win it by himself, just like Oturu couldn't. There is no match-up nightmare for this Illinois team. Bring it on!

Tev hasn’t played enough to define his play or role. He has set himself back with the off the court issues. Now, he can’t get enough tick to get in any type of rhythm. Tev may never realize his potential at Illinois because of his immaturity. Make no mistake though, Tev is more talented than some playing in front of him. It’s not always about talent.
Offensively he might be, but his D is lacking. He's too upright and stiff.

What? Good for DaMonte...he made some plays that contributed to a win. But he’s overall body of work is what it is..not worth more than 5 to 10 minutes a game. One 5 minute stretch does not change that narrative.

With around 2 minutes to go and the game on the line, Coach pulls GB(I think), and puts in DaMonte. Our coach sucks. Why would he think that Da Monte would go in and get a kill all by himself? We need some other coach that would have us in sole possession of first place instead of just tied.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
LOL. Richard Pitino got asked 2 questions about DMW and didn't have any idea why the media was interested in hearing about him.
I wish somebody would have followed it up with "Remember the play where Oturu got stripped after an offensive rebound, followed by the play where your 3 point shooter got blocked, followed by a guy getting the defensive rebound to seal the game? THAT was DaMonte Effin Williams!"

60.1 PPG D--#1 B!G
Last year 75.4 PPG-#13 B!G
The craziest part of this is that in terms of personnel, Kofi is the only major change. I get a lot of this is a fundamental philosophy change by BU, but it's still amazing.

Also makes me concerned for this team post Kofi.

Great game last night. This team has come a long way. 2 months ago I would have on the edge of my seat the entire time waiting for them to loose control, but even with a close game I just felt the had it in the bag. They have come a long way this year with how confidently they are playing. First time in 10 years I get excited for the next game to see what they can do!

Unfortunately I'm still conditioned to expect the Nut Punch. I can't wait until that gets worked out and I start to expect to win close, tough games.

Deleted member 29907

D
With around 2 minutes to go and the game on the line, Coach pulls GB(I think), and puts in DaMonte. Our coach sucks. Why would he think that Da Monte would go in and get a kill all by himself? We need some other coach that would have us in sole possession of first place instead of just tied.
It was GB he subbed in for. I was thinking - hmmm - that's an interesting move. Was he thinking offense/defense subbing? Just keep him in for defense? Apparently just defense and it paid off quite nicely.

When he did that I thought to myself "D for O substitution". It was a good move and I was glad to see BU playing a little chess.

When he did that I thought to myself "D for O substitution". It was a good move and I was glad to see BU playing a little chess.
BU did it at least a couple of other times late in the game when Giorgi was in foul trouble.

The craziest part of this is that in terms of personnel, Kofi is the only major change. I get a lot of this is a fundamental philosophy change by BU, but it's still amazing.

Also makes me concerned for this team post Kofi.
Really tough to differentiate defense efficiency with Kofi but we were still pretty good with him in foul trouble. Having two bigs is substantial, when one of them is Kofi it is awesome. Really believe there is an intimidation factor that is psychologically worth 10% 2 pt shooting %. Tough guy to replace but having guys like BBV and Hawkins will help.

ChazzReinhold

Mom! The Meatloaf!
I wish somebody would have followed it up with "Remember the play where Oturu got stripped after an offensive rebound, followed by the play where your 3 point shooter got blocked, followed by a guy getting the defensive rebound to seal the game? THAT was DaMonte Effin Williams!"
This forced me to watch his press conference. He really comes across as a whiny little [insert word]. He mentioned 3 times of how often we got to the foul line and then not answering and refusing more questions about DMFW. Must be inadequacies about being conceived on a restaurant table.

It’s not always about talent.

It usually is unless you are misrepresenting yourself off the court or in the classroom. If this is occurring, one should not get minutes at a college or high school level to prove themselves.

Make no mistake though, Tev is more talented than some

How do you/we know this...one game in 2 years? He hasn't played himself into any play/role....maybe he is a turnover machine, who gets lost on defense due to being slow footed...etc...not saying he is, but he could be?

Deleted member 29907

D
Kofi had 13 and 10, Otturo 20 and 8.....pretty even match, and he's the only guy they had that got double figures. Kofi is a warrior and Giorgi is in there battling too. It's sure nice not to be getting dominated inside. We bring the fight every night.
Even closer from a pure per minute perspective as Kofi (due to foul trouble, yes) played 15 mins less.

What? Good for DaMonte...he made some plays that contributed to a win. But he’s overall body of work is what it is..not worth more than 5 to 10 minutes a game. One 5 minute stretch does not change that narrative.
Dude, that's your narrative and you clearly don't understand the value of a guy that does all the little things that help you win. Well, the staff does understand. So yeah, 5 or 10 minutes/game, lol.

How do you/we know this...one game in 2 years? He hasn't played himself into any play/role....maybe he is a turnover machine, who gets lost on defense due to being slow footed...etc...not saying he is, but he could be?
Yeah, I think he bought into the recruiting talk about a guy. His stroke looks good, be he's never shown me much defensively. He stands too upright to me.

Right. Because the favorites go 96-0 through two rounds?
well, it wouldn't require that for all the games to be top 25. It would roughly require all the the winners be 6 seeds or above.

Last year, 15 of the sweet 16 were top 25 so I'd say that's pretty clearly "likely"

Last year was an outlier, but it seems like the average is about 10-11 ranked teams. Not sure if that fits your definition of likely. Of course, when you said 96-0 it seems like your definition of "likely" might be "certain"

Tev hasn’t played enough to define his play or role. He has set himself back with the off the court issues. Now, he can’t get enough tick to get in any type of rhythm. Tev may never realize his potential at Illinois because of his immaturity. Make no mistake though, Tev is more talented than some playing in front of him. It’s not always about talent.
If Tev was more talented he would be playing, it is time to acknowledge the love for Tev is not earned