Illinois 62, Grand Canyon 58 POSTGAME

I like that the Freshman are giving us good minutes this year, but I hate that we are needing to lean on them this much. We need the upperclassman to give us consistent play. Frazier tried to do to much today, and he shouldn't have to.
However, this year we have put ourselves in position to win every game, and I love that. I look forward to being competitive in the B1G.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
You can't struggle to put away a team like Grand Canyon and still claim to be a good team. I'm sorry, but you just can't.

All of the Top 25 teams for the last foreverumpteenthousand years that have struggled to put away mid major teams are on line 2 for you.:D

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Im sorry Im just being a whiner your'e probably right. I just love this team too much and they play with my emotions. And it has been a long 11 years. Really dislike watching these close games that appear 2 players are doing all the work when the Mich States,Michigans, Minnesotas of the world are around the corner. These teams have bigger, stronger and faster players and I just don't see it Maaaan!!! Waaaah!! Mama!!

Hahaha! Excellent self awareness! :thumb:
Just tilt your head back, close your eyes, and imagine these freshmen in two years!

If that doesn't work, add Ayo, Okoro, and Lidell, stir frequently on medium heat.

Deleted member 11241

D
We really need to start getting something out of Lucas. Lately it seems like we are just terrible when he is on the floor and he has made some horrible decisions. I love the spark that Frazier brings off the bench and I know he makes some freshmen mistakes (which I can live with) but at least is he a scoring threat. Teams have to respect the fact that he can shoot the 3, or blow past you for a layup. Our offense is so much better when he is in there and he is no slacker on D. I think BU needs to think about trying him out as a starter

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]TWLbb43lpGI[/YOUTUBE]
[youtube]t8vZtHynysw[/youtube]
[YOUTUBE]SBy0H1nnUFg[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]sJWntzoMzts[/YOUTUBE]
Frazier: We weren't mentally ready to play. Talked about that in the locker room after the game. Have to play every game like it's an NCAA tournament game.

Underwood: There's some games that you're just really, really happy to find a W. This was one.

Underwood: Couple weeks ago, not sure we woulda won this one.

Underwood: Won the game today because of our defense & because of our rebounding.

Underwood: Leron carried us the first half. Might be playing as well as anybody in the Big Ten from an offensive standpoint.

Underwood: I thought Mark Alstork was the reason we won the game. Turned into an elite on-ball defender.

Underwood: Obviously, Da'Monte.. To say I'm surprised he made that, I'm not.

Underwood: They played harder than we did in the 1st half. To be honest, Trent's performance in the 1st half was almost by script. People have been telling him how great he is for 5 days.

Underwood: Still miffed by slow starts

Underwood: I think Kipper and I will have a talk... I believe in him. I believe in his ability.

Underwood: Teammates have to trust him. And I'm not sure that's all there.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247

Last edited:
We really need to start getting something out of Lucas. Lately it seems like we are just terrible when he is on the floor and he has made some horrible decisions. I love the spark that Frazier brings off the bench and I know he makes some freshmen mistakes (which I can live with) but at least is he a scoring threat. Teams have to respect the fact that he can shoot the 3, or blow past you for a layup. Our offense is so much better when he is in there and he is no slacker on D. I think BU needs to think about trying him out as a starter

Case in point, the winning shot by Williams was set up because of two defenders closing in on Frazier leaving Williams open for the three.

We do need Lucus to stop the stupid turnovers. We need both of them to give us good minutes. It would be a bonus if Lucus can hit a three once and awhile so defenses don't start treating him like Jaylon Tate.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
HUGZ FOR KIPPERZ!

JWEN4Ob.gif

Lucas with 5 TOs in 15 minutes, after coming into the game with a team leading (and I think conference leading) 25% TOV %.

Coach is going to have some tough decisions to make in the coming games that remind me of last year with Tate, Abrams, and Tejon.

You can't struggle to put away a team like Grand Canyon and still claim to be a good team. I'm sorry, but you just can't.

This is the same thing people were saying after the New Mexico State game, who then beat undefeated Miami a few days later

7 seconds?

What happened to the seven second offense? We threatened the shot clock nearly every trip down the floor.

Lucas with 5 TOs in 15 minutes, after coming into the game with a team leading (and I think conference leading) 25% TOV %.

Coach is going to have some tough decisions to make in the coming games that remind me of last year with Tate, Abrams, and Tejon.

Like not play him?
That ain’t gonna happen.

What happened to the seven second offense? We threatened the shot clock nearly every trip down the floor.

Not much movement, and our guards still trying to figure out how to be more consistent facilitators.

Give it time. Rome wasn’t built in a day. :illinois:

A Groce team loses this game. GCU is a very good defensive team that played well to their strengths and our weaknesses.

I find the continued John Groce odsession bizzare. Everyone wanted him and gone and he is. I don't understand the incessant need and/or desire to play hypotheticals with how every close game would play out if Groce was still here.

Deleted member 4960

D
I was at the game tonight. We had a lot of silly turnovers, and bad passes to cutters that weren't open. GCU played great defense and got away with a lot of reaching and grabbing until the last 8 minutes of the game. I was surprised we won the rebound battle because it seems like they had several spectacular put back dunks. This game wasn't pretty but we survived and GCU is a lot better team than most posters on here think. I think their SOS is fairly high. We played pretty good 3pt defense which I believe was the difference in the game (and a few players making big plays when it counted late!) (notice they weren't players from last years team.)

Frazier scored the last 7 points of the Missouri game and today he scored or assisted on 9 of the last 11 points.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Was at a Jeff Dunham show and was peeking at the score and figured we were going to lose. Glad to see it turn around.

1) We need all 5 guys on the glass because we don't have a dominant 5. Keeps us from getting out and running too much.

2) We don't have Jawun Evans.

3) The 7 second offense is blown way out of proportion. Yes, we want to push the ball. But we want to do that to try to get an easy/open look. If that's not there then BU actually wants to slow down and run the offense. He trusts his offense and doesn't want to settle for anything. Completely different from Groce who thought almost everything was a good shot.