Illinois 62, Grand Canyon 58 POSTGAME

Frazier scored the last 7 points of the Missouri game and today he scored or assisted on 9 of the last 11 points.

Black and Frazier are scoring fairly consistently the last few games. We need Smith, Finke or someone else to step it up.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Speaking of the Seven Second Offense (is this trademarked yet?), at least twice during the game Trent had a fast break opportunity or at least an opportunity to push with AJ open in the left corner and he held up. AJ was visibly upset both times.

What happened to the seven second offense? We threatened the shot clock nearly every trip down the floor.

The seven second offense is to get a shot if open in the first seven seconds. However, if it is not open, Brad wants to make the other team play D & prefers that there be no shots until the last seven seconds on the shot clock, thus a lot of late shot clock shots if we can't get a quick shot on a given possession.

Speaking of the Seven Second Offense (is this trademarked yet?), at least twice during the game Trent had a fast break opportunity or at least an opportunity to push with AJ open in the left corner and he held up. AJ was visibly upset both times.

Coach didn't like it either because they've been working on it

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Lucas' and Alstork's continued refusal to take wide open shots is hurting this team. I see the effort, and confidence may not be high, but they can't completely abandon being threats to shoot. That's doing a huge favor for opposing defenses.

Happy with the win. Not thrilled with how we looked in the process. Really surprised we won the rebounding battle. GCU's second chance opportunities in the second half really stood out to me.

Competition jumping up a notch now. Hope the team is ready to meet the challenge.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Would rather have a nail-biter like this instead of a 30 point walk over going into Minny next week. Freshman, are you listening? And Leron, just Leron. Very refreshing to see out of an upper classman.

whovous

Washington, DC
Lucas' and Alstork's continued refusal to take wide open shots is hurting this team. I see the effort, and confidence may not be high, but they can't completely abandon being threats to shoot. That's doing a huge favor for opposing defenses.

I can sort of understand Lucas being unwilling to shoot, but Alstork? What is going on there? He was a volume shooter before he got here. We were told the problems were with the other parts of his game, but tonight he got eight boards, was praised by BU for his defense, and he hit two clutch FTs. All that is fine, but he took only four freakin' shots. It is great that he is working on all the other aspects of his game, but why won't he shoot?

I can sort of understand Lucas being unwilling to shoot, but Alstork? What is going on there? He was a volume shooter before he got here. We were told the problems were with the other parts of his game, but tonight he got eight boards, was praised by BU for his defense, and he hit two clutch FTs. All that is fine, but he took only four freakin' shots. It is great that he is working on all the other aspects of his game, but why won't he shoot?

Clearly a confidence thing. He does not have good sideline demeanor when taken out of the game. Not everybody responds well to Underwood's "make a mistake, your out" substitution pattern.

For those that like the Horizon/B1G theory of why Alstork is not scoring....Nunn with 33 pts and 4 rebs last night.

Oldtoysrock

Sarasota, Florida

I can’t help but think part of the problem with guys that are used to scoring a lot of points, but haven’t this year, is related to the energy expended on the defensive end. It’s not easy to excel at both ends with this intensity level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

whovous

Washington, DC
For those that like the Horizon/B1G theory of why Alstork is not scoring....Nunn with 33 pts and 4 rebs last night.

I could buy into this theory if Alstork scored like crazy against the many cupcakes on our schedule and then failed to score against Miznoz or the B1G. But it seems like he can go scoreless against almost anyone. He shows flashes of aggression, but they fade much too fast.

I could buy into this theory if Alstork scored like crazy against the many cupcakes on our schedule and then failed to score against Miznoz or the B1G. But it seems like he can go scoreless against almost anyone. He shows flashes of aggression, but they fade much too fast.
actually he showed alot of over aggression with atupid fouls a few games ago. he seems like he has cleaned that up. he has shown that he can create his own shot....but he's not forcing hero ball which is good. clear that LB is our go to guy now.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

I can’t help but think part of the problem with guys that are used to scoring a lot of points, but haven’t this year, is related to the energy expended on the defensive end. It’s not easy to excel at both ends with this intensity level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think this is a great point. I haven’t watched any of the B10+ streamed games so I have a limited perspective, but it seems BU is demanding the energy be spent on defense first and foremost. I wonder if this is an adjustment to his approach at OSU who struggled on defense last year.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
actually he showed alot of over aggression with atupid fouls a few games ago. he seems like he has cleaned that up. he has shown that he can create his own shot....but he's not forcing hero ball which is good. clear that LB is our go to guy now.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Alstork is showing leadership as far as a 5th yr senior doing what he can to help us win.....definitely not the scorer we expected but his defense and rebounding are making up for the lower scoring average...

I still think we will be a team to be reckoned with before the end of the season, but the close losses will haunt us....the lack of being able to safely inbound the ball has cost us 2 games...

incompetent refs has cost us as well with 3-4 goaltending calls being nonreviewable and reversed ref calls still have me mad as hell....oh well, happy new year to all and lets go ILLINI !

I have to admit, I love the no BS nature of Underwood's press conferences.

Black and Frazier are scoring fairly consistently the last few games. We need Smith, Finke or someone else to step it up.

Alstork is averaging 6.5 points in the month of December and just 3 points over the last 5 games. Need more from him.

All the turnovers show a lack of focus, yesterday. Guards did not handle the ball well. Some of these guys have to pick the scoring up. Williams has had 3 or so points the last 3 games. ALstork, has had 8 the last 3 games. Nicholls, has had 6 the last 3 games. Lucas and Smith each had a good game sandwiched in between a couple 2 point games.

As you said a little revisional history. My intent was to show how little scoring certain players have going produced the last 3 games and if you're going to be a factor this big 10 season a few of those players are going to have to produce more.

My thoughts on the game should not infringe upon anyone else's enjoyment. You are free to enjoy the victory!

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Even though it was closer than we would have liked it to be, I still had an amazing trip down to see our boys play (first time since my graduation in 2015). I think we are making progress. I don't really understand why the BU learning curve is so steep, but apparently it is. The good news is that are two best players are learning to take control of the team (Black and Frazier), and they will start leading the team in the right direction.