Illinois 62, Penn State 56 POSTGAME

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Let start another winning streak. i really think we can win out.
Would be pretty sweet! A lot of noise at the top of the B1G. Four teams 9-6, most of which have to play at least two of the other top B1G teams. We only have to beat Iowa - at home, if we can take care of business against the bottom half of the B1G.

You joke, but you might be right. There seems to be a focus there when they're on the road. At home, they're schizophrenic. It's almost like they don't know how to harness their emotions. On the road....they're nails.
Well Nails mostly....Except at the Rac and Carver Hawkeye.

illini80

Forgottonia
Hard to watch the last 4 minutes of that. Ayo was unbelievable. I absolutely hate trying to run the clock down like that and I didn’t like how Underwood used the timeouts. But what the hell do I know? We won. How many times did we have a shot clock violation in the last 5 minutes. I don’t believe you win very often with that strategy, but it worked tonight.
Chambers should have thrown a zone at us. All we had most of the night was Ayo. Dre and Kofi had some nice plays, but we lose by double digits without the alpha.

AYOOOOO!!!!!

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
These are 18-22 year old guys, they heard the roar of the crowd against MSU, they heard the roar against Maryland. I was there, it was loud.

They talk about what is happening on campus as they go to class, etc.

You can want to win too badly, happens all the time.

Young players on the road can mean better focus, time to bond.
Agreed. And also chip on the shoulder when in someone else's house. I like it.

Ayo = The Truth! Seriously it was awesome to see him back in the groove. This was a huge win for us and couldn't have done it without Ayo.

Is it just my aging eyes and aging television, ordid anyone else have concerns that Trent’s shot with 29.5 left actually missed the rim at that odd angle, and that we should have had a shot clock violation as opposed to the tie-up/ possession arrow result?

This was a team win, anyone wanting to ask why DMW is so key, name another player at his size to neutralize Stephens this year. DMW was key to this win, scoring aside...he did score like 10 points btw (the ones that Stephens didn't get against us)!

DMW defense is so huge for our success, Lamar Stevens played 31 minutes, went 3-11 shooting (made 7-8 free throws). When we can trust a guy to lock up the opposing team's best player like that you can beat almost anyone.

Shot clock was reset to 20. They had a foul to give so a quick foul doesn't put anyone on the line. If Ayo misses the shot they have ten seconds to tie or win. Not the call I would have made but not indefensible. Is it was, Ayo hit the teardrop and blew it all up.

They did not have a foul to give. Which is why I would have held Kofi before the in bound if I was Chambers and put him on the line.

illini80

Forgottonia
Is it just my aging eyes and aging television, ordid anyone else have concerns that Trent’s shot with 29.5 left actually missed the rim at that odd angle, and that we should have had a shot clock violation as opposed to the tie-up/ possession arrow result?
I thought it clearly hit.

Would be pretty sweet! A lot of noise at the top of the B1G. Four teams 9-6, most of which have to play at least two of the other top B1G teams. We only have to beat Iowa - at home, if we can take care of business against the bottom half of the B1G.
Now it's five teams at 9-6, two games (soon 2.5) games behind Maryland and 1 behind Penn State.

Chambers has been through ALOT at PSU, he has suffered some horrendous seasons, the debacle at the college, so many losses, and now he has them in the Top 10 (okay maybe not now) and contending for C-Ship and going to the NCAA Tournament....I would say PSU is lucky to have him, has about what they could want/afford...and he is good enough for that college for sure!
My beef with Chambers is how MUCH he whines to the zebras. He’s as bad as Izzo. I just get sick of hearing/seeing it.

Last edited:
I know we can win out the regular season but can and will are not always the same. Too often we play to the caliber of the opposition. Lets hope we take this win and build on it so we avoid the backslide. This team has possibilities of great things.

illini80

Forgottonia
I’m still amazed that Ayo even played. Not sure if it was Richey or Barnhart who said Ayo was clearly limping on Saturday. Funny how tonight and Ayo back changes the outlook for the rest of the seaon.

So what’s the new net ranking? We should bump up a few spots anyway.