Illinois 62, Penn State 56 POSTGAME

Obviously Ayo played a great game, but what I thought was really impressive was he led the team in minutes played. Coming back from injury he plays 37 minutes.

blackdog

Champaign
Big thing that stood out to me on the broadcast was the difference in coaching. Chambers spent a lot of time pumping his guys up and preaching effort/teamwork/communication. Underwood was all Xs and Os with the players themselves providing all the pumping up and a lot of other good communication. Really loved seeing how connected the guys are. That's special, that's culture, and that's exactly what builds to long term success.

Very happy Ayo clowned me!
For reference, In game thread I said “wonder how we’ll blow it this time”
Great win!!

3094D838-2815-4FF1-83BA-C49BE85DE5C1.jpeg

Congrats PSU!

Kofi ain't goin no where. So disappointed how Giorgi has regressed and how Kofi seems like a very short 7 footer.
If these two pick it up we really could be something. However, as it is, I squirm ever time the ball goes inside.
Ayo is such a gamer. A real joy to watch.
One of the best things about this team is that although they are good many of them have lots of room for growth even this year.

Kofi, Alan, Tevian, and Trent GB and DW can all play better. DW looks more explosive on D and rebounding each week. Ayo can still get better although his “clutch ness” is already top class.

Thought that AG should have received a lot more time in the 2nd half after being the best player on the floor in the 1st half.
I have to agree. It seems to me Coach and the assistants have no plan for substituting. And losing track of what segment they are in during game. Kofi was dying towards end of the game. And Ayo playing that much had me cringing on several occasions. I get that you need the best on the floor, but they can't play 40 minutes. Overall impressed with his coaching during timeouts, the assistants impute, and especially Coach only getting on referees when he needed. Quite a few Big10 coaches embarrass themselves with their whining.

Underwood, didn't play Griff much(or at all?) second half, because he thought their defense gave them the best chance to win the game, which didn't include him this game. I'm not positive on this, but i don't know if he subbed at all last 5 minutes or so. No GB, maybe KN not sure. And he was right
AG had a couple of steals and beat PSU to a number of loose balls. He also had 4 rebounds in the 1st half as well as leading the team in scoring. He was the only guy hitting 3's also. If you had said the BU might have forgotten about him, that is much more acceptable that your reply.

Ha, I was just going to say the opposite. I thought Chambers was more inspirational, BU a lot of chewin.

But hey, results.
If we want inspirational we can get Mr. ladder back. Underwood actually talked about plays and what to fix. I loved the analysis, made me respect what Underwood is doing, and what mistakes are actually on the players and not on him.

I have to agree. It seems to me Coach and the assistants have no plan for substituting. And losing track of what segment they are in during game. Kofi was dying towards end of the game. And Ayo playing that much had me cringing on several occasions. I get that you need the best on the floor, but they can't play 40 minutes. Overall impressed with his coaching during timeouts, the assistants impute, and especially Coach only getting on referees when he needed. Quite a few Big10 coaches embarrass themselves with their whining.
If Doctors were fine with Ayo's knee, let him play all game. Kofi needs to be at 30 max though. Carrying 130 extra pounds requires a little time off.

What can BU due to get Big G OUT OF THE DUMPS
He needs to keep coming in at the 5 for Kofi. House money he's been practicing away from basket at 4 since July. He's to good under the basket to keep missing. My hope is come Big10 tourney his hook shots start dropping like melted butter. like all of last season. He'll be fine, just needs to keep at it. Boy has never been able to guard in the post though, dating back to last season. He need to be taught, put your chest into the opposing center.

AG had a couple of steals and beat PSU to a number of loose balls. He also had 4 rebounds in the 1st half as well as leading the team in scoring. He was the only guy hitting 3's also. If you had said the BU might have forgotten about him, that is much more acceptable that your reply.

We were up 8 and PSU made their run with Kipper and Griffin in the game. I think at that point he decided on the 5 who were going to play the rest of the game. Just because he played 17 minutes doesn't mean he didn't have a good game. He did his job well. BU is not going to take out Feliz, Trent, or Ayo in the last 7 min. Would you?

Don't really care what you think is acceptable. Everything you said about Griffin's 1st half is accurate. And of course Underwood didn't forget about him. He was more confident with the defenders he had playing the 2nd half. Another poster alluded to Kofi being tired at end of game. Underwood, decided keeping Kofi in tired or not was going to work out on D and the boards than subbing, GB.

My favorite stat of the night- 10 3 pt fg attempts. We did what we do best ....take it to the basket or give it to Ayo and let him work. DMW with a gutty effort against Stevens. I thought we had no matchup for him and I was wrong. Dre is just a warrior. Great win and couldn’t be prouder of this group.

If we want inspirational we can get Mr. ladder back. Underwood actually talked about plays and what to fix. I loved the analysis, made me respect what Underwood is doing, and what mistakes are actually on the players and not on him.
Not really fair to compare Chambers to Groce, Chambers has done a really good job at PSU, not an easy place to coach. I absolutely loved being able to listen to both of them tonight, wish it was like this every night.