Illinois 63, Ohio State 56 POSTGAME

GB has amazing skill n footwork. I wanna see him moonwalk us the the NCAA s . Does GB dance like Micheal Jackson? GB gotta be starting something?

Obviously, nothing would be better than finding a way into the big tourney, however, where this team was at walking out of the non-con, I think we all would agree, an NIT berth this year, followed by a run back to MSG, would be a huge spring board into next year.

Agree with this. Hope tonight gave us some confidence for Wisky game. BU certainly better put some zone practice in before Monday. I didn't feel like execution or design really helped us down the stretch in this one; rather it was several individual plays.
If we can limit Happ the way we did last time we stand a good chance.

Got to say that there is not a game left that this team can't win. Even Purdue if our guards can keep from fouling Edwards 34 times. They can (notice not will) win out and finish 16-15 going into the B1G tourney ensuring them of at min. an NIT bid and maybe even....wait for it...a bid to the big dance with 10 or more straight wins in the country's toughest conference. No longer a pipe dream but in fact a possibility...even though the probability is not real good. Who would have thunk it a month ago. Still, even if it does not happen, Illini fans are becoming believers once again and joy is returning to the Assembly Hall (having attended the first state tourney there, it will always be AH to me). The Fighting Illini are alive and well...bring on Illiniwek.

Of course the bubble bursts if they go to Wisky and lay an egg on the basket lid....like so many hopeful Illini teams have done along with many others. Yet, regardless, I love the level to which this team has arisen. Sure, I watched every game for every minute and have witnessed the most improvement I have every seen from a high major over the course of a season. That was made possible buy not only so many new faces, but mostly from the talent and tenacity they brought with them. Illini basketball is back and a special thanks to Andre Wesson for his comment....and OSU should not feel too bad as no team is prepared for how hard the Fighting Illini play. And that makes CU an attractive place for future recruits as they know there is no one left sitting on the bench if they are willing to go all out when on the floor and can be a plus contributor in some way. Griffin should feel pretty good in spite of not getting his shot in the net because he made some great defensive plays and rebounds. Now, get Tevian back on his game and who knows what can happen....if you can dream it and work hard enough anything is possible....and I know a bit about that as a fact.

Last edited:

Deleted member 746317

D
Everyone who said six games ago that the Illini would win 5 of next 6 please step up on the stage. (total silence)
What can you say. They did not shoot out of their minds...but everyone contributed in at least an even or positive way. Even Griffin made up for some poor shooting by rebounding and defending. And he attempted 7 shots which he must do...but not rushing them. He will learn. Would love to know why Tevian got nothing but splinters in the second half. This team won a game against an upper level B1G team without playing well.....but their tenacious defense was the deciding factor. I was afraid OSU would keep Giorgi bottled up all night and that was the case for a half. But he took what was available in the second half and stopped forcing things. He has to trust his teammates to look for him and he did when it counted. He is unstoppable 1 on 1, but must learn to play double teams positively. Feliz made up for some bad decisions with his usual aggressive play and Ayo could not be kept down all game...even after missing a gimme.

This team is doing exactly what I hoped to see. Too many new faces and youngsters to handle the early schedule but also too much talent, hard work, and tenacity to not get better in Feb. and Mar. Outside the B1G top 4, you gotta like this team better than any. What is sad, their schedule will likely keep them out of post season play and that is a tragedy. I sure hope all will return next season....every one of them....and continue to enjoy having each other's back no matter what and working towards a season or two that will provide them with tremendous memories for the rest of their lives. They are not the Flyin' Illini....but the epitome of the Fighting Illini! If they all get on the same page next year, it could be B1G Champions Fighting Illini.

I agree with absolutely all of this, except that (record aside) OSU does not look like an upper level team, unless upper means upper middle. It seems more like the league this year has a top level, along with upper middle and lower middle levels. I know there is some poetic license taken in talking about three levels and avoiding reference to a "lower level: but now that I'm a Rutgers fan (and from what I hear of PSU), I don't think there is a low level team in the league.

I love the chemistry of this team. They have really gelled. And Feliz is really a spark plug for this group. Does all the little things that it takes to win.

We missed what seemed like a lot of good looks, add in missed freethrows and this game isn't close.

Anyone know why Tevian didn't play much and Griffin did? Seems really odd considering Griffin didn't play very well.

Well, the base point is that it (ball handlers losing track of defenders while looking at BU for direction) needs to stop … and I do think that our guards should be able to listen with their ears rather than their eyes (none of Trent/Ayo/Feliz should be expected to have problem with that).

It also could be that BU is overdoing it from the sideline -- kind of hard to tell in the moment that these things are happening, because I didn't see/hear what BU was doing. I've said a few times that I think BU and the players have a good relationships, so I don't think it's a matter of players being distracted by BU out of fear of him, but maybe others see something different.

Really?

That's your take from the game?

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
Actually we did snag him. Then weber let him off the hook
I did not realize that. That makes me sick. Please don't mention Bruce Weber ever again ;) All I think of is him throwing the team under the bus after that Purdue loss at home his final season. That was it for me.

Man, this was Griffin's breakout game but the shots just didn't fall. Even so, I think BU is fine with all but maybe one and I think AG has the shooters mentality where it won't bother him.

Most importantly, he kept his focus and had some big defensive/rebounding plays toward the end. Contributed to a hard fought team win.

Deleted member 29907

D
Hey, we won in blue!

Really wish Alan had hit a few shots but he did make some key steals, rebounds to help make up for some of them. We just needed more reliable shooting in during the last quarter of the game.

Not out of the question to win the BTT if the improvements continue. Thinking the team should shoot to get the 7 seed based on the standings and hope Griffin, Jones and maybe Kane develop to give you more depth for four games in four days run.

I agree with absolutely all of this, except that (record aside) OSU does not look like an upper level team, unless upper means upper middle. It seems more like the league this year has a top level, along with upper middle and lower middle levels. I know there is some poetic license taken in talking about three levels and avoiding reference to a "lower level: but now that I'm a Rutgers fan (and from what I hear of PSU), I don't think there is a low level team in the league.
EJ Liddell says hi...