Illinois 63, Ohio State 56 POSTGAME

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I'm wearing the O & B goggles too, but we're still 10-15 and are considered a "bad loss" to whatever bubble team we beat....

Probably need to get to .500 before you start seeing respect. We have followed them for 25 games.....those who haven't only see 10-15. You are what your record says you are and until 10-15 turns into 15-10, we won't be getting any love.
There is a difference between the numbers and "getting love". I have watched very few games where BU and the team did not get a good amount of "love". And in the BTN studio shows they have been getting an increasing amount with each win. The respect from the media is growing, and ultimately that will show in the preseason rankings next year. Whether games are considered bad or good losses at this point is really not that important in my mind. But winning more and more is very important.

Ok seriously though this is like the 5th straight game I have seen less of Tevian then the previous. Obviously we are winning so it’s not like he is the missing piece, but as a fan it was frustrating to see the rotating door of Feliz, Williams, Nichols, and Griffin(shocked he had more playing time then Tevian but he hustled hard and I thought ripped down some good boards), meanwhile Tevian was sitting on the bench in his warmup for 30 straight minutes.

It is not about who is playing, it is about getting the W.

Ok seriously though this is like the 5th straight game I have seen less of Tevian then the previous. Obviously we are winning so it’s not like he is the missing piece, but as a fan it was frustrating to see the rotating door of Feliz, Williams, Nichols, and Griffin(shocked he had more playing time then Tevian but he hustled hard and I thought ripped down some good boards), meanwhile Tevian was sitting on the bench in his warmup for 30 straight minutes.
I have a feeling AG is bringing it better in practice, plus his parents are in town. Also agree with A58 in that BU doesn't roll like that.

Last edited:

BillyBob1

Champaign
Also Griffin couldn't buy a bucket and some of his shot were very rushed but I think those are shots he makes down the road and he played OUTSTANDING otherwise. He was rebounding, forcing steals and turnovers, and had some nice passes as well. He did have that dumb foul on the and 1 dunk but otherwise his most impact ful game by far.

And talk about a kid who gets on the floor!

Matchups.

Ramrod2010 said:
I don't think this team is ready to win on the road just yet.

OSU - 79
UI - 72

TxIllni:
So you're sayin, you'll be looking for a landing spot on the bandwagon'late Thursday.

Hey, I cleared a spot. Come on jump up aboard.

tenor (1).gif

Giorgi got his first taste of being double teamed in the post. It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to recognize the double team and pass out quicker.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
The most important part of this game was these guys realizing they can win and win consistently, even on the road. If they would've lost, there would've been that nagging voice going into Wisconsin saying, "Yeah, you beat Nebraska, MSU, and Rutgers... but you can't win on the road." Confidence. Maturity. Momentum.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Not at all … I was being conversational about a few points in the game where we got picked/nearly picked while our ball handlers took their eyes off the defender and looked at BU for inordinate time for instructions … Someone asked me to "finish the thought," so I took a stab at it.

My takeaways from the game are:

1. pretty much everything hoopsfan said at #68 (overwhelming positive statements), with my small exception that OSU doesn't look upper level
  2. that GB is proving to be the best thrift shop purchase ever
  3. that Feliz is a bit of a mixed bag, in that he seems to have mental lapses at times, but that he's very much a net positive with his D and tenacious drives
  4. that AG really got good minutes (hope it makes his mom happier) and BU was right-on with how he handled AG tonight
  5. that I don't really understand what the deal was with TJ tonight and can't really explain the Tyler continuing to get in the game
  6. that we are in trouble against Wisky if we don't do better against zone
Good post. I think we were all worked about the future of AG with his mom's twitter posts, but since then his body language on the sidelines/post game and hustle plays on the court tell me he's 100% Illini.

WRT Tyler - I don't mind his minutes at the end of the 1st half. Our guards were in foul trouble and Trent got hurt, Tyler comes in when we were up 3, we get to half and we're still up 3. Going off of memory, I didn't actually re-watch so some of that narrative might be a bit off.

sacraig

The desert
The most important part of this game was these guys realizing they can win and win consistently, even on the road. If they would've lost, there would've been that nagging voice going into Wisconsin saying, "Yeah, you beat Nebraska, MSU, and Rutgers... but you can't win on the road." Confidence. Maturity. Momentum.

Also realizing they can win while playing in blue uniforms... or something like that.

Their crowd was never in the game tonight. Announced attendance was 12,420 in an 19,000 capacity building.

Giorgi got his first taste of being double teamed in the post. It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to recognize the double team and pass out quicker.
Group says YES! Or fake and deuce.

Deleted member 500209

D
Good post. I think we were all worked about the future of AG with his mom's twitter posts, but since then his body language on the sidelines/post game and hustle plays on the court tell me he's 100% Illini.

WRT Tyler - I don't mind his minutes at the end of the 1st half. Our guards were in foul trouble and Trent got hurt, Tyler comes in when we were up 3, we get to half and we're still up 3. Going off of memory, I didn't actually re-watch so some of that narrative might be a bit off.
He was + 3. Then ADR came in for him and they got 3 back. I believe he had a similarly positive differential at Rutgers as well.

Deleted member 11241

D

I agree and I would also like to add that I think they are realizing that there are many different ways to win these games. Each of our last 6 wins seems to have come in different ways and we have reached milestones in almost all of them. The one thing that has been consistent has been the defense but against Minny we just shot lights out and finally got that first big ten win. Followed that up by getting blown out but came back and played Wisconsin tough but had our worst shooting performance ever. Then we go and play Maryland and played great all around and got our first win against a ranked opponent in however many years it was. Then played a tough Nebraska team to start the homestand with a win for our second win. Then the best game of the year so far against MSU and our first top 10 win in forever and first conference win streak. Finished out the homestand with a tough gritty overtime win against RU for our first 3 game win streak of the year. Then finally go on the road and get our first true road win in a year and first win at OSU in a decade!!! These guys just keep gaining confidence with every game. Let's go knock off Wisky and get our revenge and first win there in what feels like 20 years

Last edited by a moderator:
This team is doing exactly what I hoped to see. Too many new faces and youngsters to handle the early schedule but also too much talent, hard work, and tenacity to not get better in Feb. and Mar. .
I cut your post to the part the I feel is today's core.
Exactly right !!
This team is showing more than anyone, even the core Illini faithful, thought was reasonable.
So proud. so energized. Keep fighting, you Illini, you

OK, it took a really long time, but I finally caught up from watching the game late(west coast) to reading every post.
I'm euphoric, so this might not make any sense, but ....
What a great game!
There were easy shots that I couldn't believe did not fall.
then, there were crazy hard shots that I could not believe did fall.
I guess that is why if you play hard for all 40 minutes they even out and you just might win the game.
So proud of these Illini. They have battled back from the dark side of the moon.
I mentioned in the pre-game that if we could cause foul troubles for K wesson and/or CJ that would bode well for us.
That was absolutely not happening until all of a sudden of K Wesson was looking for his place on the pine.
And Giorgi, what a phenom!! I just cannot get over his performance.
Every game he is amazing. I'm thinking of changing my pic. GB all the way.

Bailey

Los Angeles
I'm not necessarily sure where Giorgi's ceiling is, but I hope this season he's given the program goes down as one of those all-time illini lore references we bring up for decades.

I'm sure we're all long past this point now, but I know i was definitely waiting for the moment he came back down to earth. It just never happened. Unreal.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
I'm not necessarily sure where Giorgi's ceiling is, but I hope this season he's given the program goes down as one of those all-time illini lore references we bring up for decades.

I'm sure we're all long past this point now, but I know i was definitely waiting for the moment he came back down to earth. It just never happened. Unreal.

Completely different position but he can be our Trey Burke. 3 star player out of high school that completely took the league by surprise and never let off the gas pedal.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_c16858c9-21f0-51df-b15d-ddd1700a6051.html

awesome.gif

THE ORANGE INFERNO HAS BEEN RELEASED !!!!!!

What a game !!!!! Earlier in the season we would have lost this game b/c of immaturity, inexperience etc...Now we are winning these games b/c of the " FAMILY " atmosphere that is very plain to see....The gritty looks on the Illini faces show a will to win that took a while to develope , but it is sure nice to see now....

Common clay must go through the heat and fire of the furnace to become porcelain.

ezgif-2808525077.gif

On to wisky and another B1G win..........................

Deleted member 29907

D
For those wondering about Tev I don't remember when in the game it was but he missed a block out on a FT that ended in an offensive rebound and another foul. He got the hook and never came back in the game
He did that the last game (and possibly 2) as I recall - unacceptable - either its focus or he's getting pushed inside.