Illinois 63, Ohio State 56 POSTGAME

Does anyone know why our NCAA NET rank (94)- the number the committee apparently uses - is so much lower than our other computer rankings? Kenpom 64, barttorvik around 48, others in the 50-75 range, generally.

Because NET takes into consideration whether or not you win the games.

Dren1

Glenview, IL
giphy.gif
Must be the cute flight attendant juju!:p

haasi

New York
Because NET takes into consideration whether or not you win the games.
Seems like it weights winning much more than SOS as compared to the other computers. Which would militate for cupcake schedule.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Wisconsin is #15 in the NET rankings. Considering the win over tOSU moved us 14 places, I would think winning against Whisky would have a similar or slightly better effect.

haasi

New York
In the past, RPI to have a reasonable shot to get in as at large typically around 40-45, with some variance at both ends. Now that committee has switched to NET, I wonder this year if committee will take NET at face value and just give bids to the highest NET steaks or give at large bids to some teams with lower NET. Based on committee’s past decisions based on RPI, I’d think the lowest NET that could be considered for a bid would be 50 something.

Seems like it weights winning much more than SOS as compared to the other computers. Which would militate for cupcake schedule.

Kenpom/T-rank don't consider winning at all. They are purely efficiency rankings.

In the past, RPI to have a reasonable shot to get in as at large typically around 40-45, with some variance at both ends. Now that committee has switched to NET, I wonder this year if committee will take NET at face value and just give bids to the highest NET steaks or give at large bids to some teams with lower NET. Based on committee’s past decisions based on RPI, I’d think the lowest NET that could be considered for a bid would be 50 something.

NET is not designed to say "Team 34 is better than Team 35". It is more to compare the teams that Teams 34 and 35 played. That is why the quadrant games are important. RPI was supposed to be like that too, but people got it confused (there were other flaws with RPI as a metric). Using NET as a strict ranking metric would be a horrible methodology.

But yeah, at some point you can't have a good resume without a decent NET rank. I'd agree 50 is probably ballpark.

There is definitely something odd with Net though. We beat Rutgers and lose a spot, Northwestern loses to Rutgers and stays at the same ranking. Thats not right.

There is definitely something odd with Net though. We beat Rutgers and lose a spot, Northwestern loses to Rutgers and stays at the same ranking. Thats not right.

Well it also matters what is going on with other teams around your ranking. For instance, the Illin moved up with the OSU win. The teams it passed might well not have even played a game but dropped -- or played, won, but win wasn't deemed as "impressive" as the Illlni's.

It's relative to other teams. They should publish their "score" values. While our "score" value improved after the rutgers game, likely so did many others, and the people in front of us didn't drop enough. That "score" value still increases when you lose a game, it can never go down, its just how much it changes by based on who you play.

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA
Coaches have done much worse than this for a Top 10 recruit. It's not like Alan is bad. He is a freshman and clearly not as good an option right now as Tev, Monte, Jordan, Kipper, or one of the 3 pgs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Alan's little brother a pretty nice prospect coming up?

It's relative to other teams. They should publish their "score" values. While our "score" value improved after the rutgers game, likely so did many others, and the people in front of us didn't drop enough. That "score" value still increases when you lose a game, it can never go down, its just how much it changes by based on who you play.

Yeah, It just seems like there is something incorrect about their algorithm. It seems to devalue losses, MSU didn't get hit to hard by their 3 game lossing streak, it also over values point differential. First season it's being used so I'll hold off my judgement.

I think part of our jump today was FAU moving from a Q4 loss to a Q3 loss for us.

Xavier and Georetown are currently our other Q3 losses, but both are only a few spots from being moved up to Q2.

As Illini win we’ll help ourselves by elevating Georetown, Xavier, and FAU. We’d also benefot greatly if they play well down the stretch.

Got it. Thanks. Interesting that NET weights wins, incentivizing easier schedule

You play to win the game.

Teams that look good using NET (again because is used to look at how good the teams you played are, not how good you are) are teams that beat teams highly ranked in NET.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Alan's little brother a pretty nice prospect coming up?
They would love to have little brother (sister going to UConn next year). However, we are going to be happy to have Alan. He is much faster than I was aware and I believe he will be an excellent defensive player as well as a scorer despite last nights shooting woes. Needs to improve his handles to get his own shot but could be a DaMonte with scoring next year.

Deleted member 643761

D
Got it. Thanks. Interesting that NET weights wins, incentivizing easier schedule

I think you're oversimplifying it. If it was as simple as wins and losses the ratings would look like the win percentage ranking. But it doesn't. I think the point is that RPI seemed to give you positive numbers just by losing to a top flight team. That's a crazy incentive. At some point it has to come down to how well you play against teams and how good those teams are.

Deleted member 643761

D
Coaches have done much worse than this for a Top 10 recruit. It's not like Alan is bad. He is a freshman and clearly not as good an option right now as Tev, Monte, Jordan, Kipper, or one of the 3 pgs.

Actually, it's not clear that he's not as good an option as Kipper and Tev. lots of people with praise for Griffin's game yesterday so perhaps some people need to look more closely at other aspects of the game besides his shooting percentage on a given night.

Actually, it's not clear that he's not as good an option as Kipper and Tev. lots of people with praise for Griffin's game yesterday so perhaps some people need to look more closely at other aspects of the game besides his shooting percentage on a given night.

I think AG could become our next AJ....shooting or otherwise, by the time he is a senior. Agree will all your points, except he really needs to get rid of that weak one handed bounce pass from here on out....that can easily be picked off by players with very good anticipation in there game.

Griffin is very athletic and has a high ceiling. He does seem to play nervous and tends to make poor decisions as a result. When he settles down and stays in the moment , he will be very good.