Illinois 63, Purdue 37 POSTGAME

With regards to Ayo, expectations are playing heavily into opinions on whether he's playing well this year. Most guards make a nice jump from Fr to Soph, and we can't ignore the fact that the bar is higher for him, since he wants to be in the NBA asap.

Looking at his profile on sports-reference, several of his metrics are actually down for the season: assists per game, turnovers are up, 3pt % down, FTA down. I'm not sure where he finds a home in the NBA. He's not really a play-maker (high assist guy, ball handler), and he's not really a SG (no where near the 3 pt % he needs). I don't see him as a great defender either. I liked his chances last year, but he seems to be having a sophomore slump relative to last year. Teams have to be playing him for drives, and I think his decision-making and execution there is suffering from added pressure due to his 3 pt game. Really needs to be able to score from outside to open things up.

Based on the eye test, I don't see the confidence and play-making he showed at times last year. There's still a lot of ball left this year, and a lot of tough opponents to play. Every one of those is an opportunity.

Would you believe me if I told you that Georgi is shooting over 30% on threes so far this year? I'm not saying give him the green light, but I would be open to having the coaching staff work with him on that. If Georgi could make the three-ball a legitimate part of his arsenal, that would do a lot to spread the floor and create room for Kofi.

Every time he got it out beyond the 3 point line you could see his defender back off and dare him to shoot it. Basically taking away the ability for GB to feed it in to Kofi like he was doing earlier in the season. BU needs to either get him hitting them at a GOOD clip when wide-open or find some other scheme that stops our opponents from playing 5-on-4 when GB has the ball beyond the arc.

I don’t know where you got your number from. Against Arizona, Miami, Mizzou, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue (the high-majors) he averaged About 14.6 ppg. Against the rest (low-majors) he averaged about 16.5 ppg. That is about 2 ppg, not 7. And if that is still a big difference to some folks, I think that is nit-picking.
One would expect everyone's numbers to go up against the cupcakes.
I would imagine most of Kofi's freshmen of the week awards have come against the likes of Hampton, Old Dominion, North Carolina A and T and so forth
One would expect some decline in production when one gets into the Big 10
Particularly in Ayos case where his points come primarily in transition and in driving the basket, much more difficult in the Big 10

Every time he got it out beyond the 3 point line you could see his defender back off and dare him to shoot it. Basically taking away the ability for GB to feed it in to Kofi like he was doing earlier in the season. BU needs to either get him hitting them at a GOOD clip when wide-open or find some other scheme that stops our opponents from playing 5-on-4 when GB has the ball beyond the arc.
Fair enough -- I didn't say I wanted GB to chuck threes like he was Stephen Curry, at least not all at once. His percentage comes on relatively few shots from beyond the arc and I've seen what you see -- defenders dropping back. But the point is, he's taken them and made enough of them that it's worth building on. If he makes a few more, those defenders will have to start leaving the paint.

Deleted member 645583

D
Don't know where to post this; maybe we need Illini general post.

But as for the unis last night: yes, 1978-79 Illini with Eddie Johnson! What a player. 15-0, beat Magic and #1 MSU but fizzled down the road. Why? Can't remember. What went wrong?

But I love that retro look which, to me, is a heckuva lot better than more modern uniforms. That diamond action on the shorts, the script on the jersey, the colors are balanced ... clean, crisp.

Just google 1979 Illini basketball uniforms and you should find a team picture.

Media guides are great, get one for Illini basketball stats and history.

NJILLINI

Castle Pines, Colorado
Don't know where to post this; maybe we need Illini general post.

But as for the unis last night: yes, 1978-79 Illini with Eddie Johnson! What a player. 15-0, beat Magic and #1 MSU but fizzled down the road. Why? Can't remember. What went wrong?

But I love that retro look which, to me, is a heckuva lot better than more modern uniforms. That diamond action on the shorts, the script on the jersey, the colors are balanced ... clean, crisp.

Just google 1979 Illini basketball uniforms and you should find a team picture.

Media guides are great, get one for Illini basketball stats and history.

Steve Lanter severely hurt his knee, I believe, in the game that followed the MSU victory. 15-0 up until then and, as we always used to say, "Number 1 in the country for two days (following the MSU win)." Played tOSU with Carter Scott, Herb Williams, Kelvin Ransey, etc the next game and lost. Without Lanter at point, could never get back what we had for the first 15 games. Didn't we go something like 7-11 in the B10 that year? Lanter never came back healthy, IIRC, and ended up playing at McKendree College with his brother for the last year or two of his career. And, yes, that was the MSU team with Magic, Kelser and Vincent that won the NC that year.

Deleted member 645583

D
Looked up Eddie Baby on Wiki. Wow, what a career! But I knew that.

I had no idea he's a sports broadcaster now, according to Wiki.

And Dee is an assistant at UIC, Rob Judson is special assistant at Marquette, and Roger Powell is with Gonzaga! Kenny Battle? Still coaching? I'm not concerned about Kendall Gill, former boxer and tv star.

I like to know these things - I want Illini to succeed in class, on the field or court, and in life (in that order) for all the great times (win or lose) they've given me.

Got more info on any Illini, any sport?

Thanks.

One would expect everyone's numbers to go up against the cupcakes.
I would imagine most of Kofi's freshmen of the week awards have come against the likes of Hampton, Old Dominion, North Carolina A and T and so forth
One would expect some decline in production when one gets into the Big 10
Particularly in Ayos case where his points come primarily in transition and in driving the basket, much more difficult in the Big 10
It appears to me that Ayo is taking it to the rim more frequently and finishing at a very high rate. He also seems much better at the mid range shot. However. He certainly isn’t shooting well enough from three to be a lottery pick.

Deleted member 645583

D
Steve Lanter severely hurt his knee, I believe, in the game that followed the MSU victory. 15-0 up until then and, as we always used to say, "Number 1 in the country for two days (following the MSU win)." Played tOSU with Carter Scott, Herb Williams, Kelvin Ransey, etc the next game and lost. Without Lanter at point, could never get back what we had for the first 15 games. Didn't we go something like 7-11 in the B10 that year? Lanter never came back healthy, IIRC, and ended up playing at McKendree College with his brother for the last year or two of his career. And, yes, that was the MSU team with Magic, Kelser and Vincent that won the NC that year.
You are correct about 7-11 Big 10, 7th place finish. And thanks for the info about Lanter.

Illini didn't go anywhere post-season 78-79. Was that the year after which NCAA went to 64 teams? I guess so. I remember Eddie and team losing to Kansas State in 1980. Term from that time or soon thereafter: bummer.

Pretty sure there is no "let's fire Painter" or "this program is burning" thread over in their neck of the woods.
Au contraire - based on the Purdue message boards I bored myself with the other night, you would think the entire Purdue roster was a dumpster fire. They are not used to sucking (yet), so the vitriol was pretty over the top and Painter was getting lit up almost as much as his players. Even the intra-fanbase antagonism was off the charts.
There but for the grace of lowered expectations go we, I suppose.

Illini didn't go anywhere post-season 78-79. Was that the year after which NCAA went to 64 teams? I guess so.
[/QUOTE]

Per https://www.streetdirectory.com/tra...y_of_the_ncaa_mens_basketball_tournament.html:

"the NCAA tournament expanded to 32 teams (in 1975), and then allowed more than one school from each conference to participate. … The tournament expanded to 40 teams in 1979, and teams were seeded for the first time. …
Expansion followed in 1980 to 48 teams, and then in 1983, to 53 teams.

illini80

Forgottonia
Only player with a good game against MSU? AG with 17 points, 9 rebounds, an assist, steal and perfect from the line. 5-9 shooting and also played 9 less mins.
Of course you are correct. The conversation was about Ayo, so that’s what my comments were directed to, but thanks for pointing out my omission.

GB, 3 point shooting against "power" opponents 3-14. His made 3 last night was when the shot clock was running down.. Didn't have as much time to think. I'd like to see him take a dribble or two toward the basket and try to get a rhythm then shoot. The defense is back far enough he doesn't have to shoot a 3.

He also was the only player with a good game against MSU. A pretty decent P5 program from what I’ve read. 🙂
Maybe my standards differ from yours but 17 pts in 5 of 9 shooting, 9 rebounds, 0 fouls, and 0 turnovers in 25 minutes is pretty great. So I’d nominate Griffin as having a good game @MSU in addition to Ayo. Arguably a better game even.

Based on the eye test, I don't see the confidence and play-making he showed at times last year. There's still a lot of ball left this year, and a lot of tough opponents to play. Every one of those is an opportunity.
This, and most likely teams having enough tape to scout him well.
Also, when you’re shooting 27% from 3 you can sluff off and force him to make a tougher play.
he needs to pick-it up on all his stat lines besides scoring.
Like you said, still another half of the season left; but I don’t see his numbers climbing much more.

Deleted member 645583

D
I admire Painter after his presser: anyone who can study the stat sheet and talk coherently at the same time is my kind of guy!

illini80

Forgottonia
Maybe my standards differ from yours but 17 pts in 5 of 9 shooting, 9 rebounds, 0 fouls, and 0 turnovers in 25 minutes is pretty great. So I’d nominate Griffin as having a good game @MSU in addition to Ayo. Arguably a better game even.
See post #141.

illini80

Forgottonia
33 minutes and only one TO. Painter took note in his postgame conference.
They said no turnovers on the radio. Maybe the stats were updated. Outstanding either way. I hope to see more of him with the ball in his hands. I haven’t seen it discussed, but I wonder if playing off the ball puts a taller defender on him making it more difficult to get a clean look.