Illinois 64, Austin Peay 57 POSTGAME

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Wow, according to realtimerpi.com, we really made a jump last night, improving 46 spots up to 183rd... Yikes.

They have us winning the rest of our 5 non con games, but only going 6-12 in the B1G this season, starting off 1-7 in the conference, and finishing 17-13. (18-13 with Augie win). Our SOS is really weak. Will need to hope the O starts to click.

The only reason Te'jon has a better percentage shooting is because he almost never shoots unless it is a layup. Wouldn't you rather have a point guard that can penetrate and shoot the 3 like the point guard on Maryland?

Well sure, but we have no point guard like Maryland. Both of our guys shoot the three at < 13%. The problem is that Frazier keeps chucking them (4/31 vs. 1/8 for Lucas).

Sit back and enjoy the show. In a night full of upsets we found a way to win. We lose this game last year.
Our Three Amigo's ( Frazier, Williams, Smith ) are adjusting to college ball and they are picking it up at different rates. We cant forget Smith did start hot. When they all three get it and start to stride we will have more victorious nights then other. I don't mind watching these young men grow up before my eyes.

Finke does us no good unless he shoots at least 8 times a game. Hopefully he got out of his mini-slump.

Too early for all the "NEGATIVE NELLY" thinking!!

Regarding Finke:

My biggest problem with Finke is that he's passing up too many shots. He is probably our 2nd best 3 point shooter. When he's open he has to shoot. He's not a space eater or someone to deter guards driving to the basket on defense. For him- I think he's doing fairly well on the defensive end.

Sit back and enjoy the show. In a night full of upsets we found a way to win. We lose this game last year.
Our Three Amigo's ( Frazier, Williams, Smith ) are adjusting to college ball and they are picking it up at different rates. We cant forget Smith did start hot. When they all three get it and start to stride we will have more victorious nights then other. I don't mind watching these young men grow up before my eyes.

Finke does us no good unless he shoots at least 8 times a game. Hopefully he got out of his mini-slump.

Too early for all the "NEGATIVE NELLY" thinking!!

Agree with your post, and I would add that besides the 3 freshmen guards, plus our 10th man Ebo, we have 2 sophomores who played basically 1/2 a year or actually 1/2 year in Kipper's case, plus a junior in AJ who played very little in 2 prior years. That's 6 of 9 players in our rotation, or 7 of 10 including Ebo, who have very little to no prior college experience. Now add to those facts that all of us a running a new system.

People expecting everything to run smoothly should take a deep breath. This team will be tough to beat in another 4-6 weeks. Not only will that be the case because of the learning curve, but because we play 9 guys at least 17 minutes/game and no other B1G has more than 7 guys playing 17 minutes. Our fatigue factor should be lower than other teams as the schedule grinds forward.

WOW

Still a huge amount better than what we have had for a long time!!!! We finally have a coach that has brains and Kahonas!!!

Illini_1979

Oregon
1. It seems to me that when Finke has been at his best this year he was shooting the three from the baseline. Lately, he has been out top and not hitting them. I would be interested in seeing a chart of from where on the floor he has taken his shots and which were misses/makes. I'm pretty sure he needs to be at the baseline to make a good percentage of his shots.
2. At one point in the second half, the play-by-play announcer on BTN said that our entire team is essentially freshmen because they are all learning a new system. I agree with this and think that we will improve as the year goes by and we get more comfortable in this new system (at least I hope so!).

Agree with your post, and I would add that besides the 3 freshmen guards, plus our 10th man Ebo, we have 2 sophomores who played basically 1/2 a year or actually 1/2 year in Kipper's case, plus a junior in AJ who played very little in 2 prior years. That's 6 of 9 players in our rotation, or 7 of 10 including Ebo, who have very little to no prior college experience. Now add to those facts that all of us a running a new system.

People expecting everything to run smoothly should take a deep breath. This team will be tough to beat in another 4-6 weeks. Not only will that be the case because of the learning curve, but because we play 9 guys at least 17 minutes/game and no other B1G has more than 7 guys playing 17 minutes. Our fatigue factor should be lower than other teams as the schedule grinds forward.

THIS!!!!!!!!

Trent got the possiblity of being more like the Maryland point guard. BU always says he lites it up during practice and is an elite shooter. You never hear him comment on Te'jon's shooting. Te'jon is just a littler better version of Jalen Tate when it comes to offensive basketball.

No... Tejon lucas and Tate are not even in the same zip code. Lucas is way way better offensively and defensively

No... Tejon lucas and Tate are not even in the same zip code. Lucas is way way better offensively and defensively

Think many of the guys are wondering exactly where they fit in the system. The fact we have 9 avg 17min/game is a testament to that. Given we still early in the season, all get substituted often with different groups of guys, making it difficult to get a rythmn. All players are adjusting to the system, hopefully we find a rotation, continue the defense, cut out turnovers. The offense will come, but we need to get more shots, and make them count.

Liked we won, but a better played game against UNLV, would help make the unit more solid.;):illinois:

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
I must be watching from a different angle. TeJon seems to be the only one that wants the ball at the end of the game. Is 15/22 on FTs (Trent is 14/22). Shooting percentage higher than Trents and is much stronger on defense. Not putting Trent down but don't understand all the negative on TeJon.

Tate isn't on the team this year. Alstork is playing better. Some folks just need to find a new dog to kick when things aren't going as smoothly as they believe things should be going at the time.

Trent got the possiblity of being more like the Maryland point guard. BU always says he lites it up during practice and is an elite shooter. You never hear him comment on Te'jon's shooting. Te'jon is just a littler better version of Jalen Tate when it comes to offensive basketball.

Tate 2016-17 total points 62
TeJon YTD. Total points 62

:confused::confused:

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.

I think you've already forgotten how much JT struggled offensively at Illinois. Brooks Taylor was Kobe Bryant in comparison.

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
I think some folks are being a little too hard on Finke's defense. He is not the best defender on the team by any means but he took 3 charges last night. I bet he has taken the most charges on the team this season.

Now wrt Lucas, comparing him to Tate is just silly-borderline dumb.It seems like Illini fans have to have one guy on the team be the patsy. It is ridiculous. He has missed some free throws, he has made some turnovers, but he is also a big help in some manner just about every game. During the NW game, I heard people yelling at the end of the game, "That's a Groce player for you!" Lucas was the only player that was doing anything for us offensively at the end of the game. He missed 2 important free throws and that hurt, but the last play when he got blocked, he had no help. Everyone was standing around behind their man. He is a good basketball player (a lot better than Tate) and he will be helpful moving forward.

I looked up Jalen Tates stats last year for the 1st 10 games. He was 2 for 8 from the 3, had 37 assists with 20 turnovers. Te'jon in the first 10 games is 1 for 8 from the 3, 36 assists with 20 turnover. That looks pretty comparable to me. The bottom line if you want to be a top 10 or even a top 20 team you got to have much better production from your point. Te'jon makes a good back up, but not a starter.

I agree with you on the last line. Reference: Ayo

But regarding Tejon vs Tate performance, look at GA65s post regarding scoring comparison to date. It’s not even close

I also agree Ayo is the answer, but scoring comparison may be due to minutes played. I would bet Tejon has a lot more minutes. Don't get me wrong I don't want either of them as my starting point, I just think we have to do much better and Trent if he is able to start hitting the 3 would be a better alternative to Te'jon.

I think Trent will start hitting threes. I think he’s still adjusting to speed of college game, and exerting so much effort to play against stronger faster players.

I must be watching from a different angle. TeJon seems to be the only one that wants the ball at the end of the game. Is 15/22 on FTs (Trent is 14/22). Shooting percentage higher than Trents and is much stronger on defense. Not putting Trent down but don't understand all the negative on TeJon.

Totally agree!