Illinois 64, Maryland 57 POSTGAME

We took 2 shots that were ill advised, but we did more positives than negatives down the stretch. We took care of the ball and made our FTs.

I thought our more egregious error than MH's and KN's shots was our poor 3-point defense. We gave up 3 or 4 wide-open looks for 3s in the final 2:00 when we knew MD had to take 3s to get back in the game. Hopefully the coaches work with the guys on recognizing situations better and extending out the D to force the opponent to take 2-point shots.
I agree with HOC in this discussion because I have never been a fan of taking the air out of the ball. every time the weber teams did it it seemed like we turned a 8-10 pt lead into a 2 point nail biter that was a coin flip if we even held on to win or not.

Having said that both Hassi and Sydney both make good points. I would never have believed the numbers had Dave not done the analysis on them.

As to Hassi's point regarding milking the 30 seconds every time, the only flaw in that is there will come a point when the other team will start fouling to extend the game. Too many times it seems like we never get a good shot when we consciously hold the ball for 30 seconds. then they will hit a couple 3's, we might turn the ball over, miss a crucial FT, etc. At that point you can just feel everyone tighten up. nobody wants to shoot, the basket actually gets smaller in diameter (I have measured this with the TV on pause with a tiny ruler), and bad things happen.

I do think Groce went to the slow down so early the other night because we had a lot of foul problems and we didn't want to send them to the line any more than we had to. Also we were out-manned somewhat and the guys had expended a lot of energy both by playing hard as well as more minutes. It sure helped having Tate take charge of the team... no turnovers and draining those FT's like it was a practice game.

New York
I agree with HOC in this discussion because I have never been a fan of taking the air out of the ball. every time the weber teams did it it seemed like we turned a 8-10 pt lead into a 2 point nail biter that was a coin flip if we even held on to win or not.

Having said that both Hassi and Sydney both make good points. I would never have believed the numbers had Dave not done the analysis on them.

As to Hassi's point regarding milking the 30 seconds every time, the only flaw in that is there will come a point when the other team will start fouling to extend the game. Too many times it seems like we never get a good shot when we consciously hold the ball for 30 seconds. then they will hit a couple 3's, we might turn the ball over, miss a crucial FT, etc. At that point you can just feel everyone tighten up. nobody wants to shoot, the basket actually gets smaller in diameter (I have measured this with the TV on pause with a tiny ruler), and bad things happen.

I do think Groce went to the slow down so early the other night because we had a lot of foul problems and we didn't want to send them to the line any more than we had to. Also we were out-manned somewhat and the guys had expended a lot of energy both by playing hard as well as more minutes. It sure helped having Tate take charge of the team... no turnovers and draining those FT's like it was a practice game.
I'd have a problem taking air out of ball 30 seconds at a time at end of game and forcing them to foul if we weren't such a good FT shooting team. shooting as well as we do, we have a much higher percentage of scoring at the line than we do from the field, so might as well take advantage of that. If we could get teams to send us to the line every possession from the very beginning of the game, that's what we should do - winning a FT contest is our bag.

Taking bad shots game after game is not attack, attack, basketball. Leads to losses and other players doing the same. Getting players to understand a good shot from a bad shot is part of coaching. Do you understand what firing up bad shots does for the defense and to the offense?

I'd have a problem taking air out of ball 30 seconds at a time at end of game and forcing them to foul if we weren't such a good FT shooting team. shooting as well as we do, we have a much higher percentage of scoring at the line than we do from the field, so might as well take advantage of that. If we could get teams to send us to the line every possession from the very beginning of the game, that's what we should do - winning a FT contest is our bag.
I still think I suffer from low expectations and a massive hangover from the last 5-6 yrs. anyone watching the game the other night could clearly see the guys were playing with effort and heart and with purpose. but I was still on the edge of my seat expecting us to find a way to lose it.... very happy to win one. you're right about FT's.... we've been very solid late in games at the line.

I get the feeling you've never coached before. These are young guys who are going to make occasional errors in judgment, but you don't seem to understand that or the fact that they were playing in front of a raucous crowd in an emotionally charged game against a top-15 club in the country. Should MH have taken that shot? Probably not. But we were up 11 at the time, and he was having a great game, and if he makes that high-percentage shot we're up 13 with 1:19 to play and have the game locked up. He's 19 years old. He isn't going to play a perfect game, and he has a coach who encourages guys to shoot when they're open. These things happen. But if it hadn't been for him, we would have lost by double digits last night. I'm just glad JG has these guys playing to win instead of BW's philosophy of playing scared/not to lose down the stretch of games.
Was at the game to say the crowd was raucous is a big stretch. Don't get me wrong for the night it was outside it was a good crowd. But as far as being rowdy, loud, etc. it was very average to the past years of games I've been at.

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Was at the game to say the crowd was raucous is a big stretch. Don't get me wrong for the night it was outside it was a good crowd. But as far as being rowdy, loud, etc. it was very average to the past years of games I've been at.
For the size of the crowd, it was pretty loud, especially during the scoring run. The crowd also showed a lot of appreciation for the defensive effort.

Put a smile on my face.