Illinois 64, Michigan 62 POSTGAME

We are playing well but let's take one game at a time. We are finally playing tough and battling like a top 5 team in the B10. But Michigan missed how many FTs in the last 80 seconds and Teske a 5 footer? Wisconsin could have easily won but the ball bounced our wayther way. We won the games and I'm fired up. We dominated Purdue that was a final four performance but got dominated by MSU. It's been a good run and we need to keep it going. I think however us as fans should try to be like our players and not get too high or too low. Its not easy but things can change look at OSU and Michigan for example. Let's just win one game at a time and see what happens. If that happens then sure. You can be proclaimed a guru. Lol
My only quibble is that I think we're playing like a top 2 team in the conference right now. Maybe the top 1.

Let''s try not to get too carried way with the strength of the defense in this game. Michigan missed more than their share of wide open threes and had lots of 2 footers just bounce off. Yeh, we've had that happen to us, too (and Kofi had a couple of his own in this game), but if Michigan had a hot night instead of a cold one, I don't think our defense (or Ayo's heroics) would have been enough. But, like everyone else, I'm delighted the team pulled this one out. I hate to look ahead to the MSU rematch, but boy that could be a monster game.

As you said, missed shots happen, even bunnies every night. Halfway decent offense is going to create looks. Sure if Michigan was hot they win tonight. If illinois was hot we win by more. Our bigs were 4-16 last night. We were far from perfect and still go the W and that was based off the constant effort on D. They are light years ahead of the last couple of years and I actually think if we are gonna hang our hats on anything it is the defensive effort from last night.(and Ayo being a stud of course) You simply do not bring the same level of play every night, particularly on the road, but winning without your best is a fairly special thing. @Purdue and @Michigan in back to back games in one of the best weeks this team has had in like 15 years. I think it is fair to get carried away a bit.

Let''s try not to get too carried way with the strength of the defense in this game. Michigan missed more than their share of wide open threes and had lots of 2 footers just bounce off. Yeh, we've had that happen to us, too (and Kofi had a couple of his own in this game), but if Michigan had a hot night instead of a cold one, I don't think our defense (or Ayo's heroics) would have been enough. But, like everyone else, I'm delighted the team pulled this one out. I hate to look ahead to the MSU rematch, but boy that could be a monster game.

Its intangible and you can't track a stat for it. But if you've played basketball before competitively then you'll recognize that being defended physically can make even the open shots you get difficult. All this tough shots you worked for earlier and missed have shaken confidence and weakened muscles used for shot memory.

drsmitty74

Rochester
We won.

At Michigan.

When our Bigs did not play as well as they could.

View attachment 5539
Thank you for posting this. A lot of praise has been heaped on Ayo and Damonte and rightfully so. but I really think Feliz was HUGE for us in that game. He picked it up when we were down a TF. We will miss him, but I cant wait for AC and AM to be a part of this.

illiniCA

DC Area
There is a lot of talk about Kofi and GB having bad games but the defensive scheme had them one on one with no help all game. Presumably this was to avoid 3s. No matter the reason, they will always give up points for in that situation. Playing one on one in the post is tough

Kenpom places too much weight on early season non-conference games. Young teams sometime need time to gel and Kenpom’s formula doesn’t account for that, from what I understand.
Ohio State agrees with that statement. The analytics haven't caught up with those guys yet.

Went back and watched the last 10 minutes of the game....had Michigan made some of their free throws the last 5-6 minutes....we very likely lose this game....but having said that, we played pretty damn well on the road and gutted out a big win.....I L L

Went back and watched the last 10 minutes of the game....had Michigan made some of their free throws the last 5-6 minutes....we very likely lose this game....but having said that, we played pretty damn well on the road and gutted out a big win.....I L L

That sequence is an example of teams that perform and make the tourney or ones that don't and go to the NIT. Howard will have success, just not this year so much, ILLINI are thriving in the B1G so far.

Deleted member 17568

D
That's kind of the point. Final Four teams just find a way to win. Most of these road games in the last ten or so seasons, we've known the end result heading into the game. This year, the Big Ten is projected to have 11 tourney teams right now (which I don't see holding up, but tells me it's the toughest conference top to bottom) and we're sitting at the top of it and have had some tough road games. Split the Rutgers, PSU, Iowa and Ohio State road games and win the rest and we will be winning the Big Ten. This is realistic if this team stays together.

If we do what you say, we will end up 16-4 in the Big Ten. 14 wins will be enough to win the conference.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA

The Illini definitely improved their free throw defense. ;)

Let’s be honest, this game isn’t won the last two years. You take advantage of what you’re given and we are! The last two seasons we weren’t mentally or physically able to take advantage of the gifts that good teams can, and will, use to defeat any opponent.

Kenpom places too much weight on early season non-conference games. Young teams sometime need time to gel and Kenpom’s formula doesn’t account for that, from what I understand.

I actually talked to him, and he is not aware of a way to do this, so no, he looks at the season in its totality. There is no extra weight placed on any game, early or late.

It's a tool. Like any tool, you need to know what it's good at, and what are its limitations.

How far Illinois goes in the tourney is 100% dependent on their three point shooting. If they can shoot 35% or more they can go do the sweet 16 because of their defense and their inside/outside game on offense with Kofi. If they can't shoot at least decent from 3 the defenses will sag. In the tourney as Trent goes from 3...we will go as a team. Just watch.

This says is all and hits the bullseye.