Illinois 64, Michigan 62 POSTGAME

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
Let’s be honest, this game isn’t won the last TEN years. You take advantage of what you’re given and we are! The last two seasons we weren’t mentally or physically able to take advantage of the gifts that good teams can, and will, use to defeat any opponent.

FIFY.

While I think I understand what you're saying here, the point is more that Illinois is one of only two programs in the past 27 years to have won road games at Mackey, Crisler, and Kohl in the same season.

Exactly why I posted in another thread that Illini fans need to appreciate what they just saw to the max as it may never happen again in their lifetime. I have been watching Illii basketball since the mid 50's and do not remember it ever happening....though it may have as I have seen thousands of hoops games in past 65 years.

We can absolutely 'hold it over other teams'. It happened! Over a 27 year period I guarantee every team had opportunities to achieve this, yet they didn't. Don't understand why it's a point of contention. You are the one cherry picking a single year for MSU to somehow demean the accomplishment. What about MSU in the other 26 years of this span?

The reality is, its a fact and it happened! Let's enjoy it without picking nits :peace:

You will see in our coming games that teams will double team Kofi down low. They missed free throws Kofi missed T least four bunnies. It looked like he was rushing his shot. Go golfers beat the Spartans today.

Let''s try not to get too carried way with the strength of the defense in this game. Michigan missed more than their share of wide open threes and had lots of 2 footers just bounce off. Yeh, we've had that happen to us, too (and Kofi had a couple of his own in this game), but if Michigan had a hot night instead of a cold one, I don't think our defense (or Ayo's heroics) would have been enough. But, like everyone else, I'm delighted the team pulled this one out. I hate to look ahead to the MSU rematch, but boy that could be a monster game.
We didn't have a "monster night" either. We missed free throws too. If we had missed free throws at the end of the game, the doubters would be calling it an Illinois collapse. They missed threes and twos for a reason, and that was Illinois defense, even if those shots were "open."

C'mon, these guys have sand. They toughed this one out, feeding on a hostile environment. They're not being intimidated. They're being invigorated. There isn't a game that they can't win. Will we win them all? It could happen. Probably won't. But on the other hand...

Something that I think we have overlooked in the last full possession Michigan had was that Howard made a glaring tactical error as he should have directed his team to take a shot with about 40-45 seconds to go so that they would have a 2-1 situation 2 possessions to our 1.

You will see in our coming games that teams will double team Kofi down low. They missed free throws Kofi missed T least four bunnies. It looked like he was rushing his shot. Go golfers beat the Spartans today.
Other teams have doubled Kofi down low as well, this wasn't the first game that teams have done this. You're right though, he was rushing his shot, and he seemed to be a little flustered.

I love Kofi, but he is awful soft, or at least as soft as someone seven feet tall and chiseled from granite can be. His shots are frequently tentative and he often has the rebound ripped from his hands. I have no doubt these things will change, especially given the way he has improved in so many other areas, but he is not there yet.

I love Kofi, but he is awful soft, or at least as soft as someone seven feet tall and chiseled from granite can be. His shots are frequently tentative and he often has the rebound ripped from his hands. I have no doubt these things will change, especially given the way he has improved in so many other areas, but he is not there yet.

Kofi is not soft.

Went back and watched the last 10 minutes of the game....had Michigan made some of their free throws the last 5-6 minutes....we very likely lose this game....but having said that, we played pretty damn well on the road and gutted out a big win.....I L L

There were so many things that could have pushed the balance of the game. Just in the last minute:

Kofi panics and tries to get a rebound after the fact, fouling an 80% FT shooter....who misses both
Trent crashes into two players who are barely moving, 25 ft from the basket, and somehow gets the call. Then cooly makes both FTs
Giorgi goes ALL-IN defending Tesche for the dominant hand hook, which he takes despite his left being wide open.
Ayo is....unbelievable.

These guys didn't give up, and wound up manufacturing a win on the road despite a lot of serious handicaps (AG out, Trent in foul trouble, Kofi neutralized).

Shows how far they've come playing as a team and trusting each other.

You will see in our coming games that teams will double team Kofi down low.

Howard said in the post-game, the key to shutting down Kofi was to deny him the ball down low --something to the effect of, if he gets in good position, it's over. So I think it's more about positional denial than doubling him after the fact. On the plus side, we got a couple hi-lo opportunities because he could slip the defender when he was away from the basket. The more Kofi has to do those types of things (move his guy on the block, hedge out and slip his man, pass out of bad position or dump it in a double team) the more valuable he'll be as a draft pick. He seems very coachable/smart.

Btw, Michigan was triple-teaming Ayo on many of his drives. Team's are going to run out of guys.

Giorgi has always had amazing patience with the ball and not rushing the shot. Kofi not so much.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him soft, but he sure gets less physical the closer his opponent is to his own size...
Another way to put it is that Kofi is just too darned nice. Like when he hit that ref, you could tell he was completely heartbroken, and it threw him off his game. He does not have a mean bone in his body. I don't think we can say the same for anyone else on the team.

I saw two different interviews with Ayo yesterday where he goes out of his way to compliment and thank the bench for making them better every day in practice. Classy

I think I saw the same two too and after hearing it the 2nd time I was left wondering, "Does this guy really have that much class, or did someone recommend to him he should say this?"
Either way, he said it and I liked hearing it.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
I think I saw the same two too and after hearing it the 2nd time I was left wondering, "Does this guy really have that much class, or did someone recommend to him he should say this?"

When I see him give interviews, he seems a little nervous to me. I can't blame him; having cameras in my face like that and not wanting to say the wrong thing would freak anyone out. I'm guessing he has a few pre-rehearsed lines he can sprinkle in to help ease that. It'll smooth out with practice.

The Illini definitely improved their free throw defense. ;)

This is spot on analysis. We defend the free throw so much better now. I've been noticing it too. Our free throw defense was clutch when it needed to be, forcing them to miss their last 5. Our much improved free throw defense, IMHO, was the difference in the game.

Not sure I’d call Kofi soft. I’ve seen him rip away rebounds from players too. I do agree with the “tentative” shots but I think that is caused from him rushing. I posted something similar in the NBA draft thread. Kofi often doesn’t collect himself and go up strong, which leads to shots that can look tentative because he doesn’t have that strong base. I also think his footwork is often problematic. Those are the things that I think (hope) will have him back next year. If he can get that consistency, and I think he will with another off season and season, he’ll be a lottery pick even without a developed jumper.

I also had the thought that he was parroting something, but it was classy, even if inspired by someone else

Harns of Purdue is the definition of soft, Kofi not even close

When I see him give interviews, he seems a little nervous to me. I can't blame him; having cameras in my face like that and not wanting to say the wrong thing would freak anyone out. I'm guessing he has a few pre-rehearsed lines he can sprinkle in to help ease that. It'll smooth out with practice.
I've paid attention to Ayo and how he's improved in his interviews, he's gotten a lot better! Next thing he needs to work on is eliminating the phrase "I mean....." from his delivery. He is definitely working on improving things. If he's making a special effort to credit his teammates it doesn't matter if he did it on his own or via feedback. Either way its a good thing and its easy to tell he is sincere about it.

Last edited:

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
There are certainly teams that are quicker and more athletic, but sometimes they do not play defense like Big 10 teams.
If we can continue to improve defensively and continue to play as a team, we could be very competitive.
Sorry, I have to say this, if the referees allow the defense. We have been very good at playing D without fouling. Would ACC or Pac10 refs see things the same? That is one thing I worry about the tourney.

Not sure I’d call Kofi soft. I’ve seen him rip away rebounds from players too. I do agree with the “tentative” shots but I think that is caused from him rushing. I posted something similar in the NBA draft thread. Kofi often doesn’t collect himself and go up strong, which leads to shots that can look tentative because he doesn’t have that strong base. I also think his footwork is often problematic. Those are the things that I think (hope) will have him back next year. If he can get that consistency, and I think he will with another off season and season, he’ll be a lottery pick even without a developed jumper.
I confess that I may not be a good fan, by modern measures. I want both Ayo and Kofi to stay for four years. I am an Illinois basketball fan. I am not an NBA fan.