Illinois 64, Michigan 62 POSTGAME

sacraig

The desert
KenPom ranking is a joke. Purdue one spot ahead of us still?!? We wiped the floor with them twice and they have 9 losses! I know no one ranking system is perfect but damn that is a little ridiculous.

As it turns out, a statistical model trying to do objective ranking by looking at the whole season can be off when handling teams with seasons involving light switch moments. This has been discussed here quite a bit.

As it turns out, a statistical model trying to do objective ranking by looking at the whole season can be off when handling teams with seasons involving light switch moments. This has been discussed here quite a bit.
At the end of the conference season, I suspect that everything will end up where it should be. Ohio State is still riding the wave of the first month of the season. Long way to go.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
1. Damonte might need to see a Sport Psychologist to help with his shooting because that kid is scared to do it and he is missing bad
2. with that said he needs to stay in the line up because of his D
3. but if he could just get 6 pts a game that would be huge
That’s fair. Hell I’d settle for 4 from 20 in the next game. But damn they just keep winning. With half the team not scoring they still keep winning. Ayo has really impressed. I love to see him succeed. He’s having so much fun. That confidence is infectious. These late game vibes have done a 180. They expect to win now.

Good to see a hard fought road win won by the ILLINI with 3 starters having rough days and being shorthanded.

Trent barking at Simpson worked early on, when he got in foul trouble Simpson got his way.
DaMonte had like a key 4 play stretch on defense/a foul he got called, steals, etc...doing the dirty work so to speak.
Giorgi, seems to be playing to the ref's alot more this year???? Just play your game Giorgi, you are to good for that.
Kofi, first "off" bad B1G game of his career.
Tev, thanks for the minutes....but man, some on here complaining about DMW, better look for a different scapegoat, nothing today?
Kipper, minutes, little contributions
Feliz, Way to show up and get yours Dre, thank you for picking up the slack!

Ayo, 1st rounder man, clutch, new career high, and got his pretty much at will, which we absolutely needed today.

Close but by 1 or by 21, a road win is just that! WIN boys WIN!!!

This is what has me really excited. So if Kenpom has us going 13-7 and sharing the BIG title with MSU they must see it something like this:

Win 5 Loose 1 at home and loose every game except NW on the road? I sort of see that as the "floor" for this team right now and if that is the floor ok? Then win 1 in the BTT and your looking at an over all record of 21 (remember take out Longwood) and 10 with say 10 quad 1 wins on our resume. I see that as no worse than a 7 seed in the big dance.

Now our ceiling? Well let say it goes like this:

Win all 6 at home and,
@Iowa (L)
@Rutgers (L)
@tOSU (W)
@PSU (W)
@NW (W)

Well now our record is 15-5 in the league and 23 - 7, so win 2 in the BTT and your looking at a solid 4 or 5 seed in the big dance, but win the BTT?
Now your 26-7 going into the dance with 15 (count them 15 quad 1 wins, and 6-4 road record in the BIG - and a 17 - 3 record for you final 20 games) that is now for sure a 2 seed and its a stretch, but number 1? If you a 1 or 2 seed coming out of the BIG this year you get STL for your regional for sure. Sound like a good place to land?

A stretch? Probably, but it is for sure still very much in front of this team, and that is really all you can ask for at this point?

KenPom ranking is a joke. Purdue one spot ahead of us still?!? We wiped the floor with them twice and they have 9 losses! I know no one ranking system is perfect but damn that is a little ridiculous.

KenPOm ranking is a just a computer analysis of per possession basketball statistics,of which I don't think your W-L record even counts, or if it does it is a minor part. That is why there is a committee to make the actual selections. UW some years had an unreasonably high rankings on KenPom. The committee will provide an eye test, and we look great right now. All statistical ratings have flaws. Some are better than others. RPI is terrible, we were 41st as of yesterday, but that is no longer a tool used as a prime ranking for the NCAA. Every victory keeps us "movin on up" as posted by somebody.

Great game, esp Ayo and Dre, was thinking at a couple of points that we might loose because Alan was sitting and we were tired. Great effort for us, the defense is amazing. Winning despite getting out rebounded, more turnovers, more fouls...

Let's bury the gophers! GO ILLINI!!!

ILL!

Philly Boy

Deerfield IL
This game to me neutralizes most of the heartache from our MD loss earlier this year. Similar scores, similarly decided in the last seconds, but -- hallellujah! -- dissimilar results. At MD, we had that game won, and by rights should have taken it. In this one, MI had the game won, and by rights should have taken it, but we "stole" it from them. (Tough t-tty for them, huh?) Maybe it all evens up in the end, but I will gladly accept this semi-gift from the Wolverines. And even if it was a kind of gift at the end, we fought hard, if not well in some places, to come away with the win. And yes, we were short-handed, so maybe we did deserve it after all.

Specifically, we were able to do this is given their five straight FT misses at the end. Without that collapse, even Ayo's heroics would have been for naught. The MI failures at the line reminded me of one year -- I think it was one of the Brian Randle seasons -- where we were one of the top teams in the country in "Free Throw Defense." I'll take the win in any fashion.

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
Watching Ayo is becoming a bit like watching Frankie in 2002. Everyone knows he's going to get the ball, and take THE shot. And you sit there and you don't know exactly what it will look like (today's was, er... frankly, ugly, which made it all the more beautiful) but you KNOW it is going down.

I like feeling that way again. That serene confidence, which keeps my heart from falling into the pit of my stomach. It has been a long, long time. More, please.

(BTW, take a look at that 2002 Illinois-Minnesota game on the final day of the season, where they wiped out a 4-point lead in the final 27 seconds with a full-court press forcing two MN turnovers, and winning a share of the BT title. And notice Arch poised to rebound in case Frank misses. RIP. What a terrible premature loss.)

philcon

Plano, TX
As a basketball and select softball coach I sincerely that hope all of the Brad Underwood haters have gone away. Positive changes don't happen in a year or two. If they do for the most part those positive changes won't last because they weren't a CULTURE change. Some of you will get that...some of you won't. I've coached at a high level for more than 15 years. I seldom post here but I follow Illini football and basketball closely. I'm not an insider like 0440 and I think he gives very valuable information. For the rest of us....enjoy where Illini basketball has gotten to and based on the last few games Ayo has driven up his draft status not only because of how he has finished games but also because he WANTS the ball in those situations. You would be surprised how many high talent players are afraid of taking on that challenge. That's good for him...and also for Illini basketball. Mr. Miller...your table is ready.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
His team missed 4 three throws, and an open look during crunch time, that might be cause for a little frustration . not mention losing Livers to injury.
I agree with that... I was moreso laughing at Kofi's expression while Giorgi is yelling at him -

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I wish no one success at Michigan. ever. If one of my kids goes to Michigan I will root for them to flunk out. Muck Fichigan. Today is awesome.

giphy.gif

I wish no one success at Michigan. ever. If one of my kids goes to Michigan I will root for them to flunk out. Muck Fichigan. Today is awesome.

So there's this kid at my daughter's school. Snooty, arrogant, thinks she's smarter and more talented than she actually is; just an overall superiority complex. One day I see her wearing a blue shirt with a maize M on it, and it all made sense. Of course her parents are alumni.
Which makes sweeping the smug bastards so sweet. Now I just need to convince my daughter to dress in all orange on Monday.

Deleted member 746684

D
Man it was great to win a game that no one outside Ayo and AF played well, i hope DM gets 1 shot to fall for him soon, he really does all the little things to help us win
But this is going to happen. This team has enough talent to beat strong opponents in multiple ways. God willing, this should be huge in both upcoming tournaments.

philcon

Plano, TX
How far Illinois goes in the tourney is 100% dependent on their three point shooting. If they can shoot 35% or more they can go do the sweet 16 because of their defense and their inside/outside game on offense with Kofi. If they can't shoot at least decent from 3 the defenses will sag. In the tourney as Trent goes from 3...we will go as a team. Just watch.

But this is going to happen. This team has enough talent to beat strong opponents in multiple ways. God willing, this should be huge in both upcoming tournaments.
This team has elite talent at every position. As I said previously, there is enough talent and depth of talent that if they max their team effort, they can win it all this year in the absence of any elite team. Making them believe that and improving their few weaknesses enough is the challenge of the staff, but the bones are there to get it done. We saw the most dominant player play his worst game today while the team leader and most skilled played his best and all others were avg.....and yet they beat Michigan who played a bit better than in the past few games (but not their best by far). It was another tough win at a level of play that must become the floor...and it can. But will it? Stay tuned.