Illinois 67, Indiana 66 POSTGAME

Some of the most aggressive hes been on O this year. A consistent 5-8 pts from him really helps this team.
Idk if it was his unique perspective with who his dad is, or him finally getting his due recognition and respect from our fanbase or what but Damonte was really ready to play today. He let Indiana know where they belong and I know I was loving it.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Oh snap Chief. I didn't get to your post before I replied.I yield to the poster from Rockford.
Great minds think alike. That was one of the best responses of all time. Thank you, Deron!

I am a huge .... huge Illini fan for nearly 50 years. The last 35 living 30 miles from IU's campus in Indiana. I originally predicted the Illini having a 20 win season and finishing .500 in the B10. I'm good, the Illini team has surpassed all my previous hopes. Wow, way to go!!!! We are a lock to the dance and a team that no one wants to play. We also have a recruiting pipeline, wow it is finally good to be an Illini fan. Thanks Kofi, I think you are the difference

Archie demanding that replay be used to make the Hue Hollins call on that missed three still has me giggling. Also, the final scrum with those two fools from Carmel coming on the court to yell at the refs was like some sort of renaissance painting.

I love watching Hoosiers melt down.

I missed this... what happened again?

sacraig

The desert
Man I hope our Illini crazies are doing their thing with this tweet.

The replies feature a whole bunch of "Everything is fine goodnight" responses, which is pretty much the perfect response and doesn't involve stooping to his level.

When Felix stole the ball and Trent called the timeout, watch the one idiot Loosier Fan running down from his seat.

i also think it is sad Illinois fans give or sell those tickets to fans of the other school.
Do you really expect a fan needing to sell a ticket to grill the prospective buyer?
"Hey man, who do you root for?" "Because I need to know"

I missed this... what happened again?
What BillyBob said. Dude just took a step or two forward, no big deal, but the timing was perfect to get him in frame. (I think the video of the play posted by the official UIMBB account cuts those two guys in, lol.)

Kofi, hit some big FT's in second half. GB, hit his shots and played good D. Indiana, played hard and really hit the boards. They screened and came off the screens effectively and would attack the basket. But Kofi did outstanding work on D with the blocks and altering shots, because they went at him.
Some posters from both fan bases giving refs grief. I thought they called pretty good game. On the last 3 by Durham i couldn't tell if Frazier, got his elbow on replay. And it looked to me like Phinese just fell down on the play after the Jackson miss.
Illini, stayed tough and got the WIN!

sacraig

The desert
I agree. I was comparing earlier today the Big 10 standings, NET rankings and KenPom. It's maddening to figure out how/why they all differ. As I think back to the NCAA tourney selection committee over the past 35 years, they always seem to treat us pretty fairly. If the season were to end today, for example, I think we might be as high as a 5 seed --- 6 at the lowest. I think we'll be pleased in two weeks. With that said, I'd like to go 2-2, worst case, from here on out leading up to the NCAAT.

Oh I completely understand why things like NET and KenPom have us lower and why they all differ. They all weight our early season evenly with our recent success. Voters would (in principle) have a harder time doing that, though.

Oh I completely understand why things like NET and KenPom have us lower and why they all differ. They all weight our early season evenly with our recent success. Voters would (in principle) have a harder time doing that, though.
My big take away this year following NET closely is to play winnable non-con road/neutral games, and run up the score against the gimme games.

Scoring margin is capped at 10 for one component but is also evident in the Net Efficiency metric uncapped. All those extra points help when the conference games are all so close.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Trent had 1 turnover, and took 4 shots in the flow of the game and was an absolute dog on defense. Do you understand basketball?
Good comment. I have to agree with you. It seems that 90% of the comments (on here) about Trent pertain to whether or not he hit shots during the game.

I thought officiating was probably a little worse than normal as far as missed calls but seemed to be equally bad for bit sides. I do love checking in on the game thread as you know there will be at least a dozen posts on how bad refs are, at least a half dozen posts on how bad or unplayable a player(s) is (against IU most of those were about Frazier), and of course the obligatory “get Tev in there post..”. Really enjoying this team and this season, and think it is kind of funny doesn’t seem like some are capable of that — especially during the game.

Go Illini, beat Buckeyes.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Yeah -- and it goes to show that NET can be only one of several tools the committee will be using to make its selections.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
For there to be a rivalry, the other side needs to win occasionally. Would rather have it one-sided our way for a while.
I also view Indiana as our chief basketball rival. In that ESPN listing of the best NCAA basketball programs ever (that I keep quoting), we were #6 and Indiana was ranked #5. Further, Indiana has 93 career wins and we have 88 (up to and including Sunday's Illini victory). Hall of Fame coaches Knight and Henson were at the center of that rivalry.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
I finally watched the highlights......after watching the game live. A couple of things strike me about this team.

a) nice team chemistry. these guys are having a lot of fun playing together. Our most successful teams --- starting with the 1984 Douglas/Altenberger/Winters Elite Eight squad --- had similar chemistry. T

b) this was our premiere recruiting game over probably the past 15 years and we treated the recruits to a an exciting home court victory, in front of a sell-out crowd, to stay in contention for the Big 10 title. This game will pay dividends for Brad and crew.

c) if anyone other than Brad was coaching this team, we'd have to be worried about losing him to one of the ELITE ELITE programs or the NBA at some point in the near future. (See Kruger and Self). However, I truly believe that he considers Champaign his final destination.

Yeah...if you watched the Mizzou game....you would definitely thi k we were a bubble team or worst.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
He's god awful and always seems to give us a ton of bad calls. I've been complaining about him for years.
He's an Iowegian and he and BU have a mutual dislike society. So go figure.

But he's horrible in general as well.