Illinois 69, Old Dominion 55 POSTGAME

Watching this game you can tell the effort wasn't there,And this wasnt the first game like this,TV announcers even commented on this several times this year.There is no excuse getting out hustled and rebounded by Old Dominion they were just going through the motions and they aren't good enough to take teams for granted.

I didn't get to see the last 8ish minutes, but I see we didn't score in the last 4 minutes? I'm assuming it was all bench at that time?
If the game was 5 minutes longer we probably lose this game blowing a 30 point lead

Watching this game you can tell the effort wasn't there,And this wasnt the first game like this,TV announcers even commented on this several times this year.There is no excuse getting out hustled and rebounded by Old Dominion they were just going through the motions and they aren't good enough to take teams for granted.
What are you talking about? We were up 29 before Underwood cleated the bench.

If the game was 5 minutes longer we probably lose this game blowing a 30 point lead

You serious?

IF the starters finished this one out, we win by 30+.

Flight#33

Flight#33
Tev and BBV should have got some run in the middle of the second half IMO. They are going to need them at a crucial time, a few minutes here would go a long way later.

blackdog

Champaign
But how do they give up so many offensive rebounds to Old Dominion?and shouldnt Illinois mop crew be more talented than Old Dominion players anyway

They actually took the rebound lead back before the bench mob got in. ODU was junking it up on the offensive glass. Honestly Illinois had a little rough patch offensively but once they got ODU in foul trouble it was over.

Conzo i see you

Just got to watch. Good win - it’s actually this game and the next one that are the real “must win” games left on the schedule.
Thank goodness Damonte was ok - he gets a lot of grief on here, but his minutes are so valuable. Wouldn’t have wanted to face Mizzou without him.
Lastly, I’m just so happy with Kipper this year. Not a superstar, but he went from aserious problem last year to a valued role player this year. Kudos to him.

I’ve been one of Ayo’s biggest critics this year but I’m going to give credit when credit is due. And I thought this was Ayo’s best overall game of the year as he let the game come to him. 14 pts 2 threes 100% on ft’s 2 assists, but most importantly I thought he played better defensively and had only 1 turnover. Hope he can build on this performance.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Wish Tev got more time. How can he earn it if he only plays with Tyler and co. ?
BU was putting him in with 6 minutes left in the half and he would have played with regulars, but there was no break in play until the under 4 timeout. That's when BU emptied the bench.

I didn’t see a lack of effort at all. The defense looked good and Kipper is becoming valuable. I’m not worried about getting Tevian time until Underwood thinks he’s ready. They’re getting better at defending the 3 point line (it helps having a 7 footer defend the rim.)

I’ve been one of Ayo’s biggest critics this year but I’m going to give credit when credit is due. And I thought this was Ayo’s best overall game of the year as he let the game come to him. 14 pts 2 threes 100% on ft’s 2 assists, but most importantly I thought he played better defensively and had only 1 turnover. Hope he can build on this performance.
He was great tonight

I'm no expert like, say, Five Star or other tacticians here, but if someone were to ask me "What evidence is there that BU really has his system workin' and that he has the personnel to run it right?"... I'd probably point to two things:

1. Giorgi's passing from the elbow. That is basically a modified high/low game from the top of the key (like Bill Self teams murder you with), and it's such sweet basketball IMO.

2. The steals and run outs without giving up so many easy baskets as before.

BU was putting him in with 6 minutes left in the half and he would have played with regulars, but there was no break in play until the under 4 timeout. That's when BU emptied the bench.
I love BU's response in the presser when asked about Tev, and what he told TJ about his minutes, and I'm paraphrasing here...

"Tevian, I will not do a disservice and be disrespectful to the other players on this team who have been accountable and earned their playing time, by playing you before you've earned it"..... That's something no one can argue against, least of all Tevian Jones.

I didn’t see a lack of effort at all. The defense looked good and Kipper is becoming valuable. I’m not worried about getting Tevian time until Underwood thinks he’s ready. They’re getting better at defending the 3 point line (it helps having a 7 footer defend the rim.)
Agree alexander 58....I think the Chemistry build is benefitting from consistent and relatively short rotations. Tevian will wind his way into that rotation too but it doesnt need to be immediate.

You're welcome to be wrong. We pulled away comfortably and OD could not score reliably with starters in to shut down their shooting. We were sloppy and slow making cuts in the spread offense, but we hit threes, we didn't foul, and we were relatively clean with turnovers in meaningful minutes. You can't look at the final stats unless you cut everything from garbage time. The fact that there was five minutes of garbage time tells you everything you need to know. The only thing I was disappointed in was rebounding. We did a good job of maintaining position but balls were slipping out of our hands all first half. Got the win. Let the kids finish finals and rest. Looking forward to Mizzou and hoping we crush them. And can someone PLEASE teach our bigs to stop dribbling down low in the paint. Keep the ball up high, one fake, pivot and go up strong. Done.

Anyone know where I can get these jerseys?

Agree alexander 58....I think the Chemistry build is benefitting from consistent and relatively short rotations. Tevian will wind his way into that rotation too but it doesnt need to be immediate.
Seems to be basically an eight man rotation with Dre, Kipper, and Alan off the bench. Probably won’t change unless there is an injury or foul problem. Maybe someone doing something consistently great in practice could change it but these three are doing the job. Kipper the surprise of the three but he has been solid.