Illinois 70, Missouri 64 POSTGAME

That was a great game and a great experience for the young Illini. Frazier mentioned he had never been in a game as big as this. If we win vs Grand Canyon and we should, knock on wood, the Illini's non-conference record will be 10-3. That's not that bad all things considered.
I hope Mizzou doesnt have last laugh by making the tourney and us out.

IlliniSaluki

IL metro east burbs of St. Louis
I lied. I love the irony in this quote. I mentioned earlier a great play Mr. Smith made:
no-look pass to ? Then he gets it right back and scores the 3! Smith created that score with his heads-up pass to ?

Who was ? Black?

That would of been Finke at the top.

What's it like way up there?

HX7sl.gif

Good one. I just don't like it, that's all. The great thing about a forum like this is that we can all have an opinion. Doesn't make mine more or less important than anyone else's.

We won the Bragging Rights game. Dang it feels good. That's an opinion we probably all can agree on.

Merry Christmas everyone. Even Miznoz fans:D

good last night....held Mizzou under 20% from 3p, caused 21 TOs and won

bad last night....FTs, outrebounded and more TOs than assists.

Conclusion,,,...hold opponents 40% shooting and cause twice as many TOs as we make and we will win most games (ie defense).

Sorry, I'm dense. I'm trying to decipher this quote. All we want for Xmas is a simple definition of Miznoz? "Illinoize" I can understand: the name of the state being mispronounced by aliens: a la Ron Zook.

Thanks.

There was a Missouri FB game some years ago, I forget how long. Some Mizzou fans had printed MIZZOU cards to flash in front of the cameras. At some point alcohol or confusion entered the picture and the last 3 guys had their cards out of order and one had his upside down and their sign spelled MIZNOZ. And the perpetual humor commenced.

There was a Missouri FB game some years ago, I forget how long. Some Mizzou fans had printed MIZZOU cards to flash in front of the cameras. At some point alcohol or confusion entered the picture and the last 3 guys had their cards out of order and one had his upside down and their sign spelled MIZNOZ. And the perpetual humor commenced.

9k=

don't know if i did this right.

Attachments

• miznoz.jpg
    miznoz.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Mark Smith is appearing in post-game summaries as having had a strong game, but I'm not sure I totally agree. His 10-point tally was inflated by two catch-and-shoot 3's. Otherwise, he still looks like a freshman who hasn't had the lightbulb go off yet as to what the college game is like. Very tentative overall. Once he gets there, though, watch out.

The game environment was great.

Smith took 7shots and had 11pts

Frazier to 18 shots (5/18) and has 22pts

I wonder what would happen if Smith had the ball in his hands 95% of the time and took 18 shots. And was playing hThe PG spot his true position?

Last edited:
Great defense the first half, pressure on ball was intense. That plus good position on Tilmon in post made it tough for him to get the ball. Second half MO ball handlers were able to turn the corner and get to basket, which enabled them to get some easy baskets. Great win! From my few readings MO fans werre expecting a win. Oh well

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago

I wonder what would happen if Smith had the ball in his hands 95% of the time and took 18 shots. And was playing hThe PG spot his true position?

Smith's decision-making and defense is behind Frazier's at this point. It's not just about taking shots and having the ball in your hands. Case in point, Smith's back to back possessions where he tried to take it to the rack against multiple defenders instead of moving the ball and finding the open man.

I have all the confidence in the world that Smith will develop and become a great player for us. But he's not there yet. And right now Frazier is our best option at PG.

ritster

Wheaton, IL
Anyone see after the Illinois game last night , New Mexico State beat #6 Miami by 9 ?

Stop wondering, we desparately needed Trent's speed last night. Harris was too quick for Tejon. Smith and Tejon are going to increase quickness against speedy guards.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Yeah, Leron Black (Hole)... It gets frustrating watching him shoot almost every time he gets the ball, except when it goes in.

On one of the last 2 or 3 possessions of the game, he got a key offensive rebound on a Frazier missed layup, and tried to go back up with it. Thankfully he got blocked and the ball went right back to him, because after that, he kicked it out to waste more clock. Should've done that in the first place, but his mindset is always SHOOT/SCORE.

Just a thought that may or may not have occurred to you.....are you certain, due to his phenomenal success at scoring against bigger guys and his dependable skill in getting off tough shots and making them that BU does not encourage him to shoot almost every time he gets the ball. Illinois has had power forwards in the past (Pruitt comes to mind) who truly was a Black Hole...his next assist will be his first....and I hated to see him get the ball. NOt so with Leron as he is a talented scorer inside....something that he was not in previous years. I have a lot of confidence in his ability to score anytime he gets the ball...and has not been the case until this season. I guess one has to look at his season's percentage very closely. Jordan is shooting the ball lights out...yes....but it is too easy to shut him down with a bigger, quicker, defender. Not so with Leron, and he scores at a high percentage compared to most others. Oddly, he seldom draw a double team and that is likely why BU would want to give him a green light.

Always so positive

Not sure what you were focusing on, but without Leron shooting, we lose that game.

Okay, I took some well-deserved grief for how I worded that post. Don't get me wrong, I actually love Leron as both a person and a basketball player. He's one of my favorites, and his ability is not in question. I usually have high confidence in his scoring prowess and don't argue with him shooting a majority of the time from anywhere on the court.

What I was trying to explain was that it's not the best strategy for him to have a one-track mindset of going to the basket every time he gets the ball near the post. A good team with good scouting is going to key in on this. It's like a quarterback who keys in on one wide receiver and possibly misses other (better) options from time to time. He should have his mind (and eyes) open when he gets the ball. Anyway, go Illini!

Okay, I took some well-deserved grief for how I worded that post. Don't get me wrong, I actually love Leron as both a person and a basketball player. He's one of my favorites, and his ability is not in question. I usually have high confidence in his scoring prowess and don't argue with him shooting a majority of the time from anywhere on the court.

What I was trying to explain was that it's not the best strategy for him to have a one-track mindset of going to the basket every time he gets the ball near the post. A good team with good scouting is going to key in on this. It's like a quarterback who keys in on one wide receiver and possibly misses other (better) options from time to time. He should have his mind (and eyes) open when he gets the ball. Anyway, go Illini!

Not trying to pile on but I have to disagree with the importance of Black looking to do damage when he gets ball in the post. We desperately need that from him since our interior post scoring is almost non-existent. At any rate Black has an 11% Assist percentage which isn't bad for a post player.

blackdog

Champaign

At times he does have pretty bad court vision. Towards the end of the game Missouri was doubling almost as soon as he caught the ball. He always seems to hold the ball to long but somehow find a get out of it.

Several of his poor shots were taken because he got the ball so late in the shot clock, and he did not have time to kick the ball back out.

In Black's first 5 games he had 14 assists. I liked that he was being a part of the flow of the offense, not a dead end. Since then, he's had 4. Mostly against the toughest part of this early schedule. Would like to see more of that but he's shooting at a good PCT, is going to the line twice as much as last year and shooting them well. He also occupies the other teams big's attention, which makes them work.
I see that he's improved on some of his stupid plays as of late, especially on the silly fouls. He still makes them. Not as often. Hopefully he continues his improvement. If he can identify the double team and pass out of it rather than getting trapped in it as he has in the past, I'm sure that will free the shooters. It's something to work on for him.