Illinois 71, Nebraska 59 POSTGAME

This team misses a lot of bunnies. But we find a way to win most of the time. Not ideal, but I'll take it.

blackdog

Champaign
Ugly win... positives: ayo, feliz, and griffin. Negatives: GB still struggling big time. Kofi needs to work on hands. Trents turnovers were bad.. our offense sucks.

Actually the offense itself was great today, they generated a TON of open looks. The shot making however was not what you want to see. I was at the game and in the 1st half there were at least 5 wide open 3s from the right corner right in front of me, and they missed them all.

For all of the "nothing spectacular"-type takes like Piper's, I was impressed. Nebraska has improved immensely and - in my uneducated basketball opinion - they played well. We still put them away, and 71-59 is a pretty looking score if you ask this fan. :) THAT is classic Illini basketball in Champaign: put the other team away and pull away. Proud of the guys.

Let's go get Northwestern!

If we continue to defend and rebound this way, should have a lot of fun upcoming. Shots start falling and all the "experts" saying we're a team no one would want to play really makes sense.

Coach needs to play Tevian Jones! I'm getting sick of this keeping him on the bench crap! He's proven that he deserves a 4 star rating! You don't earn that from a couple of fluke games! You earn it by showing the top level play over a consistent period of time in high school! Unlike others whom he keeps playing that aren't even drawing attention defensively from our opponents! Play this man! He's a team player... but needs to get more playing time to find his footing and get in a groove! Play Tevian and Alan Griffin please!

Coach needs to play Tevian Jones! I'm getting sick of this keeping him on the bench crap! He's proven that he deserves a 4 star rating! You don't earn that from a couple of fluke games! You earn it by showing the top level play over a consistent period of time in high school! Unlike others whom he keeps playing that aren't even drawing attention defensively from our opponents! Play this man! He's a team player... but needs to get more playing time to find his footing and get in a groove! Play Tevian and Alan Griffin please!
Huh?

Coach gave a good post game Q and A.

He seemed relaxed and content. He was honest about both the good and the bad re the team's performance.
He imparted good information, was direct, even humorous.

I am liking him more and more as this season wears on.

AG yes. TJ no.

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
we have shown throughout the course of the season that we are not efficient around the basket... it's not just an "unlucky" night as some are suggesting. it's something that needs to be worked on (ala free throws) or it will cost us in the tournament

I am really liking AGs hussle and scoring ability. He just finds where the ball is going and dunks, grabs a rebound, blocks a shot etc.

Now if we could just get Giorgi going, we need him going. We also need to make our FTs and 3s. Teams are going to kill us that
can guard against the drive, clog the middle, and force the 3.

dish3

Seattle
I thought AG played his most solid game tonight. He has excelled at offensive rebounds and open threes and trying to out-gimmick his opponent but often seemed frustrated as if the game was a little quicker than he thought it should be. Tonight he seemed more comfortable.

The backboard is Ayo's best friend.. he's so good at spotting a little space and having options to take the ball straight to the backboard on either side, especially in transition against guys under 7 ft. Hard to defend and easy to goaltend.

What does Tevian bring that is missing from this team right now? It's not a knock against him I just haven't seen enough of him to know.

I like watching Ayo play and all, but I like to watch Griffin play the game even more. His head for the ball at all times and motor to go with it make him super fun to watch.

That is, when he isn't stomping on people and such. I'm glad he's been quiet in that arena since that incident.

I thought AG played his most solid game tonight. He has excelled at offensive rebounds and open threes and trying to out-gimmick his opponent but often seemed frustrated as if the game was a little quicker than he thought it should be. Tonight he seemed more comfortable.

The backboard is Ayo's best friend.. he's so good at spotting a little space and having options to take the ball straight to the backboard on either side, especially in transition against guys under 7 ft. Hard to defend and easy to goaltend.

Completely agree about AG. He was a monster tonight. In what was a fairly lethargic game he kept the team rolling. Completely has earned his 20min(ish) of burn. Hate to see Kiper be the odd man out in the rotations but hard to argue with what AG is bringing.

I would like to see him get a few minutes a game to keep him connected and encouraged, but you do not 'earn it' in college by playing high school well. Very different levels. You earn it by not getting suspended, twice, and when you get run not getting completely lost on defense. Not to mention outside the offense hero ball.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Had the feel of a first round tournament game. Lesser opponent, highly motivated to win, but the better team prevailed.

Grind it out....skate boys skate