Illinois 71, Nebraska 64 POSTGAME

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
We have a very favorable back half to our schedule. 2 games against Penn State, a game against Northwestern, Rutgers and Indiana at home. All 5 of those games are very winnable imo.

sacraig

The desert
Nebraska should’ve won... We gave them every opportunity to win

I mean, that's really not true. We outplayed them pretty much top to bottom until we simply couldn't hit the free throws at the end. We should have and did win. If they had won at the end, it would have been a situation where we were the better team today and blew it.

Good to not have to play your best and still get the W. UNLV is the only other team that we have managed to do that to this year.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
So we're a long way from a finished product, we still do a lot of things wrong on defense and lack shooting and development is far from a guarantee, etc.

HOWEVER

The way we're playing of late there's every reason to think we could end up with 7 or 8 B1G wins. Accomplish that, bring all your major pieces back, sign our recruiting class and put another offseason of work into these guys, finally as a team and not as strangers who just met each other? That's cause for real optimism going into next year.

Suddenly the patient has a heartbeat, is what I'm saying.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Nebraska should’ve won... We gave them every opportunity to win

Nebraska shot 35% from the field, 13% from 3, 52% from the FT line. They shot poorly from the FT line (so did Illinois), Illinois forced tough shots, therefore limiting Nebraska's ability to convert the offensive rebounds. There is nothing there that says they shouldn't won.

We have a very favorable back half to our schedule. 2 games against Penn State, a game against Northwestern, Rutgers and Indiana at home. All 5 of those games are very winnable imo.

We have a very good chance to avoid playing on Wednesday in the Big Ten Tournament. Not that that's a huge accomplishment, but pretty good considering how this season began and the last couple seasons. If Ayo stays, we could really make some noise next year.

Deleted member 236589

D
What a difference in how this team is being viewed. This is a team that's clearly, clearly getting better. If they can finish the rest of the Big Ten season 5-4, putting them at 8-12 overall.....that would be a wildly successful season given the youth of this group collectively, the schedule that they've played and the growth that's unfolding right before our eyes.

A month ago, I didn't see this team winning more than one conference game. Totally different feeling, especially at home. They LOOK like they belong.

Deleted member 645583

D
So happy for Kipper; so is Coach. Watching post-game show: BTN guy said Illinois is the best 7-win team in the country! Brutal schedule hurt. But heck, they'll be tougher next season for it. Now, I say. get ready for the BIG tourney and surprise.

Re: FTs. Kipper or Ayo said Illini had extra FT shooting practice the other day. More is needed. But a great win

Nice win against a plucky team. The improvement from the last time we played NEB is clearly noticeable.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Jumped to 75 (was 81) on KenPom. Nebraska falls to 25 (was 24?).

Deleted member 645583

D
Agree - they are rushing their FTs - almost too casual at the line.
I agree. Just like golf or really any sport, you've got to have a trigger, a pre-swing, pre-shot routine. Slow it down a bit, guys.

sacraig

The desert
Up to 75 on KenPom. I'm a little surprised it wasn't a bigger jump since Nebraska was in the top 25 in their ratings.