Illinois 71, Nebraska 64 POSTGAME

Agree - they are rushing their FTs - almost too casual at the line.

They do not seem to have a routine at the free throw line. It looks like they think being casual about it is the way to go. Need to have a set routine that you go thru every time whether it is the first minute of the game or the deciding free throw of the game. Similar to putting for us old guys. Long putt or short. Birdie or double bogey you need to go thru your routine if you want to be consistent.

Omg, what's up with this Samba thing? He isnt as good as Georgi or is his body B10 strong yet, thus no Samba and more GB and DeLarosa. When will people see and or realize GB is better than most thought and is a much better player now than Samba is. Samba should redshirt and could be very good. You think free throws were bad today?
Giorgi and Adonis played 28 mins which leaves 12 mins with neither of then playing. Don't know the rebounding stats for those 12 mins but am certainly curious. Have absolutely no thought of judging him better than GB. But we are certainly at a size disadvantage despite Kipper having a great game.

Back home eating some reheated gumbo. Time to post thoughts, in no particular order:

1) Ayo is the real deal, and it is a joy to watch him play. He is absolutely a special player, and will most likely make millions at the next level. But I still think we get him for a sophomore campaign.

2) Hey, Kipper! Welcome back! It was so nice to see him do well. I have to admit, I, and the fans around me, caught ourselves cringing whenever the ball went into Kipper's hands early on in the game. We were cured of that quickly. The most notable thing Kipper did all night was play plus defense. He even scrapped for a loose ball. It was so, so nice to watch and was by far the best part of today.

3) Nebraska could have won if Tim didn't tell them to stop fouling. That was a truly ghastly free-throw performance. Not much more needs to be said about it. But if I'm a Nebrasketball fan, I'm salty about a number of things this game, but particularly salty about Miles calling off the dogs early.

4) I still don't know what Feliz did to warrant his T, but I sure as heck know what Watson did.

5) After Giorgi gets another season or two of Bodies by Fletch™, he is going to be unstoppable. Just an incredible, fun, spirited player.

6) It is time to #freesamba. I don't care how raw he is. A 7-footer is a 7-footer in a game where the team is getting slaughtered on the boards.

7) Don't look now, but we had a balanced scoring attack this afternoon. We had 18/13/11/8/8. Man, if Feliz can be good for 8 points every game, I'll be so pleased. Balanced offenses keep defenses honest. That is such a huge deal, and it clearly made a difference tonight. We just need Da'monte to join the "I'm good for half a dozen or so points each game" Club. Da'monte had a brutal game, defensively and offensively both.

8) We are most certainly getting better. And the freshmen outside of Giorgi are showing clear signs of "getting it." Next year is going to be good.

Deleted member 16068

D
Anyone else wish the season could be restarted with the team that is on the floor now?

I do. But, if we keep the young guys around for next year with Kofi .....that means no one transfers out or the Ayo to NBA crazy talk stops then we may have something special. This is a lost year but I love that we are getting better.

This year is beginning to remind me of Corey Bradford, Damir, Arch freshman year where we were not good but got better and then the following years......BOOM!!!

Omg, what's up with this Samba thing? He isnt as good as Georgi or is his body B10 strong yet, thus no Samba and more GB and DeLarosa. When will people see and or realize GB is better than most thought and is a much better player now than Samba is. Samba should redshirt and could be very good. You think free throws were bad today?
How does asking about Samba in any way take away from Georgi? Weird that you would go there. Georgi was having trouble with fouls and Bourchardt (sp?) was having his way inside. ADLR did a great job, but it just seems strange that when you have 3 big guys, only 2 of them get their warm up off.

We just need Da'monte to join the "I'm good for half a dozen or so points each game" Club. Da'monte had a brutal game, defensively and offensively both.
You make some good points about the game. I agree with all of them except the comments about Damonte. He was hardly brutal at either end of the floor. He made his only 3 point attempt, missed His other two shots. He had a turnover and missed his only free throw. I, like many, would like to see more from Williams as he could help us more than currently - especially offensively. His game was hardly brutal though.

They do not seem to have a routine at the free throw line. It looks like they think being casual about it is the way to go. Need to have a set routine that you go thru every time whether it is the first minute of the game or the deciding free throw of the game. Similar to putting for us old guys. Long putt or short. Birdie or double bogey you need to go thru your routine if you want to be consistent.
9/23 is greater than 8/22 (MSU % against IU)...still like the wind sprint FT drills BU probably has planned.

Anyone else wish the season could be restarted with the team that is on the floor now?

It can next year, with Griffin and Kofi in place of Jordan and Adonis. See more two big combinations of Kofi/Giorgi and Samba/Giorgi against bigger teams like we saw against Minny. Griffin, Ayo, and Tev all have good frames and will bulk up. Expect to see big jumps from all 3, we are looking pretty solid going into next year.

Also someone posted the over/under for team banquet at 5 (after FAU and other losses). I think these guys get that they are rebuilding and improving. I feel Tev, Griffin, and Kipper comeback next year. Chances of Griff and Samba improve with more playing time and future playing time in the future.

Last edited:
How does asking about Samba in any way take away from Georgi? Weird that you would go there. Georgi was having trouble with fouls and Bourchardt (sp?) was having his way inside. ADLR did a great job, but it just seems strange that when you have 3 big guys, only 2 of them get their warm up off.
Where is Samba at as far as a possibility to still rs, maybe he is on the border and until DLR isn't producing and healthy, they're protecting the possibility. I'm sure Samba is in the loop.

Just watched it on replay. I loved seeing Ayo talk trash to Palmer all game. And I loved seeing Kipper having a good game.

I’m starting to get the warm fuzzy feeling about next year. Let’s finish the season strong. Still looking for that break out game from AG.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

The thing about it is.....this team is what it is because of the season so far. It's cause and effect. It has toughened them, inspired them, humbled them, hurt them, motivated them, kicked their !!!, and molded them.

There is a very reasonable chance that this team is a B1G Tourney nightmare for the higher seeds. I would just love to see them squeak into the NIT and get more games.

I suppose I'll have to go to work on Tuesday now so they can beat MSU.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Wouldn’t we have to go like 7-2 and then win 1 or 2 in the BTT to make the NIT? I think you have to be pretty close to .500 right?

I have no clue. Is there a minimum record requirement? I'm just thinking of a possible RPI and playing well enough that it could happen. Especially if we win a couple in the BTT.

Deleted member 11196

D
Ayo is in the discussion of best freshmen year, but will probably lean towards Dee and Kiwane. Was too young to see Bruce Douglas play much. Frank Williams, Cory Bradford, Nick Anderson, Marcus Liberty, Nick Anderson all sat out their first year. I don't think they should be included.

Derek Harper

6) It is time to #freesamba. I don't care how raw he is. A 7-footer is a 7-footer in a game where the team is getting slaughtered on the boards.

Don't agree with this. If he's as lost defensively as has been rumored, he'd be hard pressed to keep up with a 5th year senior like ADR.

We're winning. You need guys to play as a team, and I really wouldn't want to disrupt that. if Samba isn't ready, I'd keep developing him until he's ready to step in and make good decisions.

Ayo is sooo good in the open floor. He's money heading to the basket. Could be a long wait on whether he stays in the draft (assuming he declares).

I don't know what each player did. But, if a player's routine is to shoot without dribbling or to dribble once, then shoot, then that is okay too. I know many folks think they have to dribble dribble, spin spin, dribble dribble, shoot. But as long as they feel comfortable or in rhythm, then no big deal. Just get better and make FTs.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
Wouldn’t we have to go like 7-2 and then win 1 or 2 in the BTT to make the NIT? I think you have to be pretty close to .500 right?

They removed the .500 criteria a while back. If UI keeps playing like this they will likely get in being from the B10 and being better down the stretch

honestly if we win out and win 2 in the BTT I think we make the tournament. At least a bubble team with wins at home over Michigan State and Indiana, then road wins over Ohio state Wisconsin and Pursue, then a top 8 big ten seed with wins over two other top 8 teams. Just theoretically if we happened to pull that off lol.