Illinois 71, Nebraska 64 POSTGAME

There's no minimum record for the NIT. They removed the .500 requirement. However, that was so they could add in the rule that any conference regular season winner who doesn't get their conference's auto-bid will be selected. Very possible for a small conference team to schedule a difficult OOC, thus having a sub .500 record overall while winning their conference regular season.
First, that creates some auto-bids and that cut out some of the slots for other teams.
Second, the rule changes were pretty clear in trying to get more small conference teams into the NIT. They were not to reward below mediocre P5 teams for almost being .500.

Last year, the only at-large teams anywhere close to .500 were Baylor (18-14, ended 34th in kenpom, 1 seed in their bracket) and Temple (17-15, ended 86th, but from American Conf). Flipping through the past couple tourneys, fairly common to see a 17-15 team, but I do not see any at .500 or even someone only 1 game over.

Functionally, you have to be above 2 over .500 to make the NIT.

honestly if we win out and win 2 in the BTT I think we make the tournament. At least a bubble team with wins at home over Michigan State and Indiana, then road wins over Ohio state Wisconsin and Pursue, then a top 8 big ten seed with wins over two other top 8 teams. Just theoretically if we happened to pull that off lol.
Is that you....Thekid? I'm kidding, I loved his optimism. Old timers on this board remember.

Last edited:
Illinois going to mess around and win the B1G tournament and sneak into the NCAAT

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Had to watch the game on tape, but what a nice win! As others have said, so happy to see Kip back in form. I also loved Ayo doing some gabbing...hate it when the other team does it, but you love it from your guy: Kind of like Dennis Rodman on the Pistons vs. Dennis Rodman on the Bulls. Lastly, even though he did not have a big stats day, I am a big fan of Tev...he is going to be a force.

sacraig

The desert
The thing about it is.....this team is what it is because of the season so far. It's cause and effect. It has toughened them, inspired them, humbled them, hurt them, motivated them, kicked their !!!, and molded them.

There is a very reasonable chance that this team is a B1G Tourney nightmare for the higher seeds. I would just love to see them squeak into the NIT and get more games.

I suppose I'll have to go to work on Tuesday now so they can beat MSU.

You know, maybe a week or so ago I made a similar post and was laughed at by some of the more... "seasoned" posters here. Glad to see others are coming around to this idea. The NIT is a realistic goal at this point and would be a hell of a nice thing for this team to keep growing and have some positivity to build on for next season.

blackdog

Champaign
I'm sure some of you saw this but after the game they were saying in studio that Illinois is by far the best single digit win team in the nation and were noticing the massive improvement. They also said teams are going to be hoping to avoid them on the BTT. Everyone can see that this team is starting to get where they want to be and is only going to get more dangerous with time.

These guys still have some doubt when it comes to finishing games. That's why we saw the all the missed free throws. They tightened up. The misses had nothing to do with technique or rhythm or repetition. Samba, cannot receive a red shirt at this point.

These guys still have some doubt when it comes to finishing games. That's why we saw the all the missed free throws. They tightened up. The misses had nothing to do with technique or rhythm or repetition. Samba, cannot receive a red shirt at this point.
Thanks on Samba info, Concerning the fts, I'm going with they didn't focus enough because they knew they were Winners! But BU let them know about it later.

I'm sure some of you saw this but after the game they were saying in studio that Illinois is by far the best single digit win team in the nation and were noticing the massive improvement. They also said teams are going to be hoping to avoid them on the BTT. Everyone can see that this team is starting to get where they want to be and is only going to get more dangerous with time.
Actually, after almost every game Illinois has played this year, either a coach or an announcer has stated, "this is the best "wins to losses," team in the country. Seriously, after every frigging game our Illini play. We are that young and good, have played a gargantuan schedule, and, yes, we are being noticed ...and, our guys are learning at an exponential rate. Pretty sure "exponential," might be spelled right...just drunk happy we won and are pretty damned good.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
The thing about it is.....this team is what it is because of the season so far. It's cause and effect. It has toughened them, inspired them, humbled them, hurt them, motivated them, kicked their !!!, and molded them.

There is a very reasonable chance that this team is a B1G Tourney nightmare for the higher seeds. I would just love to see them squeak into the NIT and get more games.

I suppose I'll have to go to work on Tuesday now so they can beat MSU.

sounds like my ex-marriage

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_b1010ddd-165b-58ea-bfb3-55a6e98d9260.html

“I’m really happy for Kip,” Underwood said. “I really took the approach to almost coach him like he wasn’t a member of our team. I don’t mean that in any way, but I really left him alone.

“I thought he had a few too many people in his ear, including me. He’s resilient. He’s never stopped being a great teammate, he’s never stopped being a great locker room guy. He’s always got the smile, he’s always cheering his teammates on.”

After a running hook shot, Nichols was mobbed by his teammates entering a timeout. Nichols may have had a low-key approach about his game when addressing the media, but his performance clearly resonated with his teammates.
“It was great,” freshman guard Ayo Dosunmu said. “He played great on both ends of the floor, and he talked. It was great to see, knowing how he’s been struggling and couldn’t really find his shot. To see him come out and play strong, take charges and make shots, it was tough. I’m glad for him.”

“It’s tough, but it’s not about me,” Nichols said. “It’s about guy one through 16. When we went to (Madison Square) Garden and knocked off No. 13, I was just as elated as everybody in the locker room. The next game when we took a tough loss, I was just as mad as everybody else. It’s about all these guys in the locker room and the work we put in every day. We struggle together and we succeed together, and that’s what it’s all about.”

It was a complete defensive performance from the Illini.
“Far and away, from a defensive standpoint, it was our best all-around game defensively,” Underwood said.

and Glenn Watson is still a punk

Deleted member 29907

D
You know, maybe a week or so ago I made a similar post and was laughed at by some of the more... "seasoned" posters here. Glad to see others are coming around to this idea. The NIT is a realistic goal at this point and would be a hell of a nice thing for this team to keep growing and have some positivity to build on for next season.
The corollary of all of this is we have to put teams away when we get the chance. Yesterday was a bit disappointing in our FTs and close out of a beaten team - especially in front of our own crowd.

illini80

Forgottonia
Where is Samba at as far as a possibility to still rs, maybe he is on the border and until DLR isn't producing and healthy, they're protecting the possibility. I'm sure Samba is in the loop.
Unless he suffers a season ending injury, Samba Kane is not eligible for a RS.

Ayo is in the discussion of best freshmen year, but will probably lean towards Dee and Kiwane. Was too young to see Bruce Douglas play much. Frank Williams, Cory Bradford, Nick Anderson, Marcus Liberty, Nick Anderson all sat out their first year. I don't think they should be included.
Derek Harper

That was his sophomore year.

But agree Ayo isn't number 1
Ayo's "per 40min" numbers are slightly behind TFs stats from last year except rebounds. I' d be surprised if Ayo goes after this year...really good Freshman and likely a great Sophomore next year.

I expect this team to be pretty good next year, with a bigger, stronger, more agresive Ayo leading the way. GO ILLINI!

Ayo best freshman finisher that I can remember from anywhere and the trio of Trent and Dre is really good. Don't care where this freshman class was ranked, it is the best we've had since Dee, Deron, and James. Ayo and Georgi with similar stats and Tevian with potential. With addition of Kofi and Antwan we solve the size problem and do not see why we shouldn't be in the mix for league leaders. Would like to see us back to favorites on home court always.