Illinois 71, Wisconsin 70 POSTGAME

I am sure glad the ref's swallowed the whistle in the end. I was seeing a hold on the Wisconsin player just before Ayo shook him.
That would have been our luck, waive off the bucket and put Ayo on the line for one and one. Too bad we have to suffer through
bad refereeing for 35 minutes to get to 5 minute of good basketball.
5 minutes of good basketball that many Wisconsin fans feel they got screwed on at the end. The complaining about referees needs to stop. There's no hidden agenda.

A good team does exactly what our guys did yesterday. You play through it. During the game, one poster felt BU should have gotten himself T'd up. How would that have worked out for us?

11 full pages yesterday on the refs screwing us. I logged in mid way and honestly, by the comments, thought we were losing by 20. I turned the TV on and we were down 4.

Losing programs, with players with losing mentalities, people with losing mentalities blame the officials. We left a lot of points out there in the first half due to missed layups and missed free throws.

Super happy they pushed through and got a very, very important W.

Nope, Gard said he checked it and there was no foul.
Gard is being a self respecting head coach who put the blame on his team, not the officials, which is the right thing to do.

That last play was a 50/50 call. It could have gone either way and both ways would have been right. In this case, he swallowed the whistle and we benefitted.

Deleted member 645583

D
It's on BTN Basketball in 60 right now (ending soon!). Up next is the Big Ten Elite show and its about the 1989 Illini.
BTN Basketball in 60 is on again at 3 p.m. today, Doesn't say it's the Illinois-Wis game.

5 minutes of good basketball that many Wisconsin fans feel they got screwed on at the end. The complaining about referees needs to stop. There's no hidden agenda.

A good team does exactly what our guys did yesterday. You play through it. During the game, one poster felt BU should have gotten himself T'd up. How would that have worked out for us?

11 full pages yesterday on the refs screwing us. I logged in mid way and honestly, by the comments, thought we were losing by 20. I turned the TV on and we were down 4.

Losing programs, with players with losing mentalities, people with losing mentalities blame the officials. We left a lot of points out there in the first half due to missed layups and missed free throws.

I seem to be in the minority, but I didn't even think the officiating was that terrible. Illini made some bad, stupid fouls and when that happens refs will tend to call 50-50 fouls on that team, especially if they're calling it tight and that team is the road team. Is that right? No, but it is human nature and happens pretty regularly. Team has to make adjustments. And to the refs' credit they loosened things up some the last 5 minutes and let them play more.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Don't see the logic there. So you don't need Kofi or Giorgi late? Because they were both out there with 2 fouls at the time. Hindsight's a beautiful thing when you have it?

This debate has already gone on longer than I think it's worth. Like I said, it was overall a well coached game. I'll just end my take with this - with all the productivity AG had, he had the 6th most minutes on the team. Some of that was due to fouls, but tired lungs wasn't the issue there. I've been a DMW supporter all season. I see the value he provides even if he's not scoring. But if he's not scoring and he's not effective on defense, then you should consider making an adjustment. If it's the case where an opposing player is just playing unconscious, then you may not be able to do much defensively, but you can at least try to make it up offensively. For a coach that will pull a player after 30 seconds on the floor for getting a foul (TJ), I just found it weird that he'd let that happen without any adjustments.

Giorgi and Kofi both sat as soon as they picked up their 2nd fouls in the first half. It's one of the most noticeable things in college basketball. Obviously they will have to go back in at some point....but the logic is pretty simple.

Also, the adjustments were made....and none of them worked in the first half. Nobody could guard King. Kofi and Giorgi were both available late for the same reasons AG was.....they were subbed after picking up their second fouls in the first half.

Don't think Illini missed any 1 and 1's , yesterday. Illinois, was very aggressive on defense especially out the gate. Didn't see Underwood complaining so maybe he thot fouls were legit. Like to see GB curtail his offensive fouls, keeps him off the floor. Wisconsin, is not easy to beat at home very good win.
Giorgi's miss at the end was front end of a 1 and 1.

We own 1 of 4 road wins in the entire league.
We own 1 of 2 road wins against an above .500 team.

1. Wisconsin @ OSU (11-4)
  2. Illinois @ Wisconsin (9-6)
  3. Rutgers @ Nebraska (7-8)
  4. Michigan St @ Northwestern (5-9)

The Team needs to pay attention to this. Rutgers won @ Nebraska. "So what?" you say. "Nebraska is bad" you say. But they just won at home vs Iowa. Rutgers won a road game that Iowa couldn't. Do not overlook Rutgers. Be ready, be focused, play hard.

Wisconsin fans said they got screwed at the end?!?!? Ridiculous, even Gard said in his postgame interview that there was no foul, he checked the video. Giorgi walled up and kept his hands straight up. No way it was a foul.

5 minutes of good basketball??????? We shot 62% in the 2nd half.

Don't think Illini missed any 1 and 1's , yesterday. Illinois, was very aggressive on defense especially out the gate. Didn't see Underwood complaining so maybe he thot fouls were legit. Like to see GB curtail his offensive fouls, keeps him off the floor. Wisconsin, is not easy to beat at home very good win.

Giorgi's missed FT at the end was the front end of a 1 and 1, I know that for sure.

I seem to be in the minority, but I didn't even think the officiating was that terrible. Illini made some bad, stupid fouls and when that happens refs will tend to call 50-50 fouls on that team, especially if they're calling it tight and that team is the road team. Is that right? No, but it is human nature and happens pretty regularly. Team has to make adjustments. And to the refs' credit they loosened things up some the last 5 minutes and let them play more.

The refs were pretty bad from an Illini perspective until about 5 minutes to go. I was watching the game with a Badger fan and even he admitted it. Sure, there were some dumb and obvious fouls we committed. But 4 or 5 times the whistle was blown and neither of us had any idea why. Every time I'd say "I don't know what happened, but the foul is on us"....and I was right every time.

That being said...I agree with your other part. I think it is the very nature of college basketball that home teams get an edge from the refs. It just is what it is.

I didn't feel good about this game AT ALL until it was truly over. Even when the ball went out of bounds as time expired I was SURE the clock review would show .1 left and OOB on us. I could just see Wisky getting an inbounds tip-in to win. It could have been all the beer dulling my senses :)

Honestly, I'm STILL not sure we won. I'm worried Wisky will contest something about the game and that the B10 will overturn the results and award them the win.

My lack of crazy-mad enthusiasm aside...good teams win close games and good teams win on the road. This game checks both boxes. This is game tells me we have the chops to be a top-half B1G team and make the tourney. The team just needs to stay focused, play hard, and the coaching staff has to put them in the position to win (scouting, prep, rotations, etc).

So let me make sure I have this right - you don’t like people complaining about the calls you didn’t see?

There was plenty to take issue with last night’s calls (we did have plenty of dumb fouls, too). It’s possible to both complain about officiating while also recognizing your team needs to do better and should be good enough to overcome that. Refs have a tough, thankless job in general but that doesn’t excuse the huge changes in consistency throughout and across games. Call it loose (my preference) or call it tight but just be consistent. Telling everyone to stfu about it just lets it slide and that’s worse for college hoops overall imo.

Georgi missed free throw at the end was a 1 and 1.

I just checked. That was the only missed front end of a 1 and 1. Sure did stand out though. Probably no one happier than GB when that final shot didn't go in.

Yeah, when they came out on the floor and I saw Giorgi, my first thought was "why is he out there when likely going to be FTs." And lo and behold that is who they fouled.

The Team needs to pay attention to this. Rutgers won @ Nebraska. "So what?" you say. "Nebraska is bad" you say. But they just won at home vs Iowa. Rutgers won a road game that Iowa couldn't. Do not overlook Rutgers. Be ready, be focused, play hard.
Rutgers scares me. They are good!

Everyone be truthful, did anyone believe the Illini would be 3 and 2 in the big ten at this point? They have had the hardest schedule in the conference to this point.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Agreed unless there is a blatant call which effects the outcome of the game, pissing and moaning about the refs is pretty misdirected energy. I imagine Wisconsin gets fewer fouls called on them because they are a patient, disciplined, fundamentally sounds basketball team, year in and year out.-

Yeah, not sure how i forgot, GB's , 1 and 1. ( i was quite annoyed he got the ball ).Last play, no foul, no call. Had nothing to do with refs letting players decide.

So let me make sure I have this right - you don’t like people complaining about the calls you didn’t see?

There was plenty to take issue with last night’s calls (we did have plenty of dumb fouls, too). It’s possible to both complain about officiating while also recognizing your team needs to do better and should be good enough to overcome that. Refs have a tough, thankless job in general but that doesn’t excuse the huge changes in consistency throughout and across games. Call it loose (my preference) or call it tight but just be consistent. Telling everyone to stfu about it just lets it slide and that’s worse for college hoops overall imo.
I agree with you, refs have a tough, thankless job. No matter what the call is, 50% think it's the wrong one.

I locked in at about the 10 minute mark of the 1st half. Now, allowing for leniency in both directions, did you see a game that was called differently from half to half? From minute to minute? Did you see any truly wild calls? I didn't. If we make free throws, we cruise home.

We made far more errors that effected the game, we made far more great plays that effected the game(as did Wisconsin)....those refs had 0% impact.

I don't mean to come across like I'm telling anyone to STFU. Absolutely not. I think that "we" as a fan base default to the refs being at fault if we lose or are behind.

Do you see any of that as inaccurate?