Illinois 72, Northwestern 67 POSTGAME

Sorry but it is not being a downer to identify flaws in the coaching. Great win we needed. Happy for the kids but I see the same mistakes being made still. Starks shoots a bad three late in gAme with plenty of time left on the clock. We run our inbounds to Cosby late in game when we have others who are just plain better at making winning plays. Nunn (not because he shot well tonite) is a winner. He just is. Late deflection on pass by Macintosh Free throws to ice it. He was playing well all night yet doesn't force bad shot late which is what a lot of kids would do. Coaching mistake of playing Starks and Cosby so much (and allowing their dismal shot selection to continue) has cost us some games. Good play call at end to throw to kn. nice win but need to realize after two years who makes winning plays
Anyone who was at the game like I was noticed a different level in Groce. He was very unhappy with the shot selection from starks. And really gave it to black at one point early on in the first half.

Problem is, Starks was not supposed to be anything more then a 5-10 min guy off the bench. Injuries forced his hand, and unfortunately he like the rest of us will have to live with 4-5 really bad shots a game. Starks is not a true PG, but when he's in. It forces teams to guard him, unlike Tate.

I am a huge Tate supporter, but unless he develops a jumper. He could possibly be lost in the mix next year.

They scored 12 points off the bench. 10 came from starks. IMO there is no choice but to have starks play.

Anyone who was at the game like I was noticed a different level in Groce. He was very unhappy with the shot selection from starks. And really gave it to black at one point early on in the first half.

Problem is, Starks was not supposed to be anything more then a 5-10 min guy off the bench. Injuries forced his hand, and unfortunately he like the rest of us will have to live with 4-5 really bad shots a game. Starks is not a true PG, but when he's in. It forces teams to guard him, unlike Tate.

I am a huge Tate supporter, but unless he develops a jumper. He could possibly be lost in the mix next year.

They scored 12 points off the bench. 10 came from starks. IMO there is no choice but to have starks play.
+1. At least until RR is back. Then those minutes can be reduced accordingly. Rice, Nunn, Tate, Cosby, then Starks.

Remember we are missing TA, DP, and RR right now. That's a serious hit to the depth chart. And forces MH to play the 4 spot instead of the 3 due to the lack of DP.

Yeah I know what you mean. Also I think this is the first time this season Cosby has worn a short sleeved t-shirt under his jersey. And doing a quick google search it looks like he rarely, maybe never, did that at Seton Hall either. Coincidence that Cosby just happens to find his shot on the same night he wears the t-shirt? Maybe, but if I were him I would be putting that same t-shirt on again Sunday.
Watching his shots for a second time on the highlight, it seems like the shots he made were considerably less flat than usual. His form was the same, but instead of the Kobe line drive shot, he had a little arc in them.

New York, New York
Exactly. Trying to pit players against one another, joking or not. I would've loved to see Nunn rip him a new one. Mccolley=irrelevant
McColley usually adds a unique perspective and has some entertaining takes on things. But, occasionally he does stray too far from acceptable journalism and will ask something like that. It's a funny thing to say, but that's not in bounds for an interview. Next time he's at Ubben I'm sure Burson will pull him aside and tell him that's not acceptable.

McColley usually adds a unique perspective and has some entertaining takes on things. But, occasionally he does stray too far from acceptable journalism and will ask something like that. It's a funny thing to say, but that's not in bounds for an interview. Next time he's at Ubben I'm sure Burson will pull him aside and tell him that's not acceptable.
He's such an oddball, if anything he should be making jokes about himself.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
McColley <> Journalist

The reason people are calling for MLT is not because he's is a better player than Starks, not even close. It's more to send a message to Starks, and to the team as a whole. My high school coach did stuff like this all the time and it is pretty effective. "You want to shoot fadeaway 3's 5 seconds into the shot clock? Get your a** on the bench. I'll put somebody in there who won't do that garbage"

Starks can sit there and see from the bench just how much he's hurting the team by taking those shots

I think Groce's excitement about this win was that maybe it is a sign for this team. Remember the January swoon? Hasn't been so much so far. We have wins over Maryland and a road victory against NW, who, if you recall, challenged Sparty on the road the other night. What's most important about the win though, is that NW made a furious charge toward the end, and we didn't fold. We may enough toughness plays to win.

The reason people are calling for MLT is not because he's is a better player than Starks, not even close. It's more to send a message to Starks, and to the team as a whole. My high school coach did stuff like this all the time and it is pretty effective. "You want to shoot fadeaway 3's 5 seconds into the shot clock? Get your a** on the bench. I'll put somebody in there who won't do that garbage"

Starks can sit there and see from the bench just how much he's hurting the team by taking those shots
Not if you've read the arguments the last few days. It was more like, "he can't do any worse".

Hahahaha McColley's question for Nunn.

"So what is your mindset when Starks is PG? Rebound?"
McColley being an unprofessional jerk.

Look, Starks obviously takes some ill advised shots, isn't a true point guard and hasn't shot a high enough percentage--but I'll be very surprised if we get to the end of the season and we haven't had a few games that he just goes off and is a key reason we won.

Thanks for the post --really sums up the importance and passion of this game.

That said, what a weird game in the sense that we were out-shot 46% to 42%, and out-rebounded 35 to 30, but win it with a crazy 11 to 3 Turnovers. How the heck do you go an entire game with only 3 turnovers? I wouldn't count on repeating that.
It was weird in a sense. NW, though, doesn't pressure the ball much on D. They don't play the passing lanes, either, partly because they aren't overly quick. They play a sagging m2m, which enabled KN and AC to get some great looks behind the arc. But it was refreshing to watch the guys run through what seemed like the full progression of options in many of the sets instead of hoisting a lot of shots in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock.

Yeah, that's not Groce's style.

What UI v. Kitties game would be complete without a late Tre Demps circus shot, regardless of his earlier performance?

Was ecstatic to see Nunn & Cosby break out, hope Hill is ok.

Let's pack the place on Sunday!
The fans in my section were stunned by AC's first-half shooting. When he hit his third straight triple, one guy behind me jokingly blurted, "Is this guy a new player on the team?" The players on the bench were loving AC's scoring. They mobbed him at the second TV timeout with high fives and chest bumps, and he couldn't help but grin about it. Seemed very relieved. Hopefully he can have at least a couple of more performances similar to that while RR is out.

Mt. Vernon
Starks' pull-up from 15-18 feet coming around a ball screen is a good shot when it's open. He hit a couple of those in this game, and I remember them being kind of key in keeping the lead in the first half. When it's a 3 not coming off a screen, or a pull-up two within a foot or two of the line, not a good shot IMO.
Worse than the type of shot is the timing. Too often he jacks one without anybody else getting a touch in the front court. It deflates the other four guys and the opponent often ends up with an easy bucket on the other end.

McColley being an unprofessional jerk.

Look, Starks obviously takes some ill advised shots, isn't a true point guard and hasn't shot a high enough percentage--but I'll be very surprised if we get to the end of the season and we haven't had a few games that he just goes off and is a key reason we won.
Funny thing about AS is he was drilling mid-range and 3-point jumpers in warmups. He has good form. Must've made 5 or 6 straight treys at one point. (Funny thing was AC was kind of off in warmups in my estimation; he hit a few long-range shots but also seemed to miss a lot more than he made, ironically.) I think his lack of height makes it difficult to get clean looks in games, though, and at OSU he was in a Princeton-style O that created more open looks and allowed him to shoot more 3s off the catch rather than the bounce.

Worse than the type of shot is the timing. Too often he jacks one without anybody else getting a touch in the front court. It deflates the other four guys and the opponent often ends up with an easy bucket on the other end.
He definitely does this. I'm sure JG and staff talk to him about it, but JG also needs AS on the floor for half the game right now, and it doesn't seem to be his style to bench guys for shot selection if he has given them the green light as a shooter. He also likes having scoring PGs, so he must be telling AS to look for his shot some.

Mt. Vernon
I think that Starks has to be in there.
I haven't seen anyone else on the team that can handle the ball well enough to be without one of those two on the floor.
I agree that we need him over MLT. Not even an argument. I just want to see him yanked when he takes quick, ill advised shots. Let Tate have even more minutes than he gets when possible. It is the only way I see getting through to Starks.

There was a sequence down the stretch last night where he got assists on two straight possessions. He even set a screen for Cosby on one of those. He can play team ball. He just needs to chill on taking the shot in the first 10 seconds across half court and he would be much more tolerable.

Mt. Vernon
He definitely does this. I'm sure JG and staff talk to him about it, but JG also needs AS on the floor for half the game right now, and it doesn't seem to be his style to bench guys for shot selection if he has given them the green light as a shooter. He also likes having scoring PGs, so he must be telling AS to look for his shot some.
Hopefully it is his style to win games and keep his job.

Funny thing about AS is he was drilling mid-range and 3-point jumpers in warmups. He has good form. Must've made 5 or 6 straight treys at one point. (Funny thing was AC was kind of off in warmups in my estimation; he hit a few long-range shots but also seemed to miss a lot more than he made, ironically.) I think his lack of height makes it difficult to get clean looks in games, though, and at OSU he was in a Princeton-style O that created more open looks and allowed him to shoot more 3s off the catch rather than the bounce.
He even LOOKS better shooting it off the catch.

I agree, not many options given our roster.

I did not have much of a problem with Starks most of the game (he is who he is), but I thought it was very frustrating towards the end of the game. We are up 6, Nunn is having the game of his life, Cosby pretty good (although tapering off), Hill coming alive. Yet, the last 2 organized UI processions (not FTs) go to Starks. One was a deep jumper (way off) and the other a very unsuccessful drive. As a result, NW cuts it to 1pt game. Why?

Frustrating point #2: Egwu constantly coming up on defense to double team the PG and leaving Olah deep in the paint unguarded. Most of the points from Olah came with Egwu trying to rush back in position (too late) from the high double team. NW kept on exploiting that and we made Olah look like a college all-american.

Kirksville, MO
Should we let tommy know that we won or keep it a secret?

Bloomington
Was really impressed with Hill last night. Slow night on offense, but he was repeatedly and continuously mugged by Law and Lumpkin. Despite that he kept his composure, played solid D, hit the boards, and hit the shots that really counted.

And it looked like he was nursing an injury.

10 points on 13 shots. Not great, but not terrible either. With all the injuries, you have to take any road win at this point. No reason to be pessimistic or complain IMHO. If we're able to hold on until we get our best player back, we'll be feeling pretty good going into the stretch.