Illinois 72, Northwestern 67 POSTGAME

McColley being an unprofessional jerk.

Look, Starks obviously takes some ill advised shots, isn't a true point guard and hasn't shot a high enough percentage--but I'll be very surprised if we get to the end of the season and we haven't had a few games that he just goes off and is a key reason we won.
I agree . Starks is a shooter. I think there will be times where he will be unconcious. As far as Groce's dealing with the poor shot selection, I am sure he is careful in his approach. There is something worse than poor shot selection - shooters who lack confidence.

Did anyone notice that the substitutions last night were based on the game and not predetermined? Previous criticism has been that the subbing appears predetermined and arbitrary. I noticed that just before the end of the half Nunn and Cosby had played almost the entire first half. This I would assume was a result of their in game performance and not predetermined. Being able to be flexible in subbing seemed to help the offensive flow also.
I've been noticing this for several games now, and have been pleased to see it. I wonder if the pre-determined stuff came from a desire to give everyone some tick in the pre-B1G season, or if he really has changed his coaching philosophy in the face of all these injuries.
I think it probably has more to do with the fact that with rice injured there is no one else to sub. We have one guard on the bench and he primarily comes in for tate. The only time KNunn or cosby are going to be getting any rest until Ray comes back is when you play starks at the 2 alongside tate, when you play black at the 4 and slide Malcolm to the 3, or when Mav and Nnanna play together and Malcolm plays on the wing. So yes, there are still some options to get the starters rest, but they are less than ideal until Mav or Black start playing a little better. Nunn and Cosby will get a lot of minutes out of necessity.

e

I agree . Starks is a shooter. I think there will be times where he will be unconcious. As far as Groce's dealing with the poor shot selection, I am sure he is careful in his approach. There is something worse than poor shot selection - shooters who lack confidence.
Every player who has ever played has jacked up an ill advised shot or 2. Starks seems to keep 1 or 2 ill advised shots in his bag until the absolute worst time to use one. If he was a raw out of control freshman it would be easier to understand. But he's not. He's a 5th yr senior, and should know a lot better than that, and that is what is so frustrating about him.

San Clemente, CA
Every player who has ever played has jacked up an ill advised shot or 2. Starks seems to keep 1 or 2 ill advised shots in his bag until the absolute worst time to use one. If he was a raw out of control freshman it would be easier to understand. But he's not. He's a 5th yr senior, and should know a lot better than that, and that is what is so frustrating about him.
Agree with all of this. I know he's not a scoring threat but Tate should have played more late in the game. You know he won't take those ill advised shots and he seems to have a better feel as to when to push the offense. Much safer choice when protecting a lead.

Belleville
Yes, Starks did not have a great game.

OTOH, he was the PG for 24 minutes in a game when the Illini had 3 TOs, all on illegal screens. He scored 10 points, and had a 94 OR. And the team ended up with a W.

Tate played 17 minutes and had a 41 OR.

It's a lot easier game to play sitting in the stands that actually being on the court, of course.

And as to Mike LaTulip, if the coaches, who have a lot more at stake in the team than anyone posting here, rhought he was a better option, he'd get a lot more PT.

Dave

New York
Yes, Starks did not have a great game.

OTOH, he was the PG for 24 minutes in a game when the Illini had 3 TOs, all on illegal screens. He scored 10 points, and had a 94 OR. And the team ended up with a W.

Tate played 17 minutes and had a 41 OR.

It's a lot easier game to play sitting in the stands that actually being on the court, of course.

And as to Mike LaTulip, if the coaches, who have a lot more at stake in the team than anyone posting here, rhought he was a better option, he'd get a lot more PT.

Dave
No doubt that Starks did some really positive things-- and some things that Tate can't do. (Pull up 2s from 18 feet.) The problem is that what he does badly is so obvious to everyone and he does it so consistently. If he could just curb his shot selection and take open shots, not fadeaways, and nothing beyond let's say 22 feet in any case -- and if he could instead work the ball around early in the clock as a matter of routine instead of going 1 on 1 and jacking up those shots, he wouldn't have a massive negative counteracting the good things he does. It's painful because it kills us and it's so simple.

No doubt that Starks did some really positive things-- and some things that Tate can't do. (Pull up 2s from 18 feet.) The problem is that what he does badly is so obvious to everyone and he does it so consistently. If he could just curb his shot selection and take open shots, not fadeaways, and nothing beyond let's say 22 feet in any case -- and if he could instead work the ball around early in the clock as a matter of routine instead of going 1 on 1 and jacking up those shots, he wouldn't have a massive negative counteracting the good things he does. It's painful because it kills us and it's so simple.
Exactly right

The A
There's no defending piss poor shot selection in the final moments of a game.

Unless they go in. :)
You mean like MH's dribble behind the back and fade away from 18 ft w/ 2min to go in game and we're up 5 pts. with 12 seconds on the shot clock. It went in but that was as bad of a shot selection of all night.
You're right unless they go in. :)

Last edited:
I didn't have a problem with Starks in this game. He forced a few shots but had a nice floor game overall. And Nebraska gave everyone the blueprint on Tate, sag way off and use his man to double Nunn or Hill. Until he can knock down open jumpshots consistently, half court offense might be a struggle for him.

I was much more concerned about the way we used Egwu on defense than anything else. I feel that over aggressive hedging really out the defense in a bind several times. I'm not a fan of that strategy at all.

Good and Bad

The positives in the game include no turnovers (other than 3 for offensive fouls), solid d until the last few minutes, Nunn being assertive, Cosby making some shots, Tate's floor game, Cosby's defense.

The negatives include Black still struggling a bit on d (he looked less lost), Starks still not understanding (never will - it seems) what a good shot is or that he is not the focal point of our offense, Cosby still taking a number of bad shots near the end, Egwu in foul trouble, Tate's jump shot.

The bad shots and the # of them by the two transfers is still concerning, but maybe with Tate's continued good play and Nunn and Hill rising, we can limit their (Starks and Cosby) minutes somewhat.

Two last things...I would not mind seeing us go big with Black at the 4 and Hill at the 3 sometimes and did anyone else notice that Finke is noticeably taller than Maverick Morgan?

Need to beat IU on Sunday

Did not see that Finke is that tall. Have sort of read it on here, but its one thing to read it and another to see it. I'll look for that on Sunday

New York
The positives in the game include no turnovers (other than 3 for offensive fouls), solid d until the last few minutes, Nunn being assertive, Cosby making some shots, Tate's floor game, Cosby's defense.

The negatives include Black still struggling a bit on d (he looked less lost), Starks still not understanding (never will - it seems) what a good shot is or that he is not the focal point of our offense, Cosby still taking a number of bad shots near the end, Egwu in foul trouble, Tate's jump shot.

The bad shots and the # of them by the two transfers is still concerning, but maybe with Tate's continued good play and Nunn and Hill rising, we can limit their (Starks and Cosby) minutes somewhat.

Two last things...I would not mind seeing us go big with Black at the 4 and Hill at the 3 sometimes and did anyone else notice that Finke is noticeably taller than Maverick Morgan?

Need to beat IU on Sunday
agree with most of what you wrote but disagree re cosby. unlike starks, he didn't really take bad shots and he rarely does, he just bricks way too often. if he is finally coming alive (which he really did in the first half of the NW game), it will do wonders for our offense. with ray sidelined, it's the ideal time to see if he can respond to his increased role and our need for him to contribute.

but even if he's not good, there's zero way we're going to be able to limit cosby's minutes until rice comes back. even assuming you'd want to play nunn and hill 35-40 minutes each (really tough), that still leaves an additional 40-50 minutes at the 2-4 that need to be accounted for. since you're looking to limit starks' minutes, you wouldn't play him much if at all at the 2, and that means at least 40-50 minutes have to get split between Cosby and Black. Black hasn't shown himself capable enough yet of shouldering substantial minutes. He played 9 last game, which is one reason why Cosby played 37 alongside Hill's 35 and Nunn's 38. There is very little chance that Black makes enough strides prior to Ray's return to justify substantially more minutes than he's currently getting, so that means Cosby, regardless of his shooting, is going to have fill the gap and play around 30 mpg.

Besides, Cosby finally shot well last game, and aside from his shooting (and inability to penetrate -- which I don't think will ever be a strength for him) he's been pretty good all season, so let's enjoy the last one and give him a chance to succeed.

Decatur, IL
It's a conscious decision. If you're sly about it, you'll get away with it a lot of the time, and that opens up precious space in a drive-and-kick offense.
Mav is the opposite of sly about it. He runs into them like a bull and then acts confused as to why it was called. Like come on Mav.