Illinois 74, Northwestern 69 OT POSTGAME

Agree with this assessment. Don't understand why the guards are on the same level, but they are (different characteristics but approximately same end results). Because Feliz gets fewer minutes and seems to rely mostly on grit and agression, I understand why he has varying levels of impact from game to game. I don't really understand why Trent and Ayo are as up and down as they have been. With Trent, it would explain quite a bit if he's had a nagging injury as some have said, but I still feel like his confidence or decisiveness is inconsistent (don't know why that would be/don't know where that impenetrable swagger went). As for Ayo, I have a hard time writing off his inconsistencies as freshman growing pains. Maybe that is the issue, but ... it doesn't feel right to me for some reason.
Thinking Frazier's issue is Alpha Dog related, he was used to having a free reign on 3 shots, running the play, has to share more with Ayo and Feliz. I do miss him taking over games, per Gonzaga.

Last edited:
Undersized, not-terribly-athletic 6th man point guard gets a double-double on points and rebounds.

Feliz is awesome.

I like BU. I too would of had the ball in Feliz's hands at the end. It don't matter who starts, it matters who you give it to with the season on the line.

I loved the huddle by BU with all his assistants during the last time out to figure out the right play to run. They ran the right play. Great call. Still went to OT for even more excitement...

Deleted member 31586

D
There is a lot wrong with this post. It's written as if this game is representative of the season.
I totally respect your right to an opinion, but what is wrong with it? We are a bottom dweller. 20 years ago beating NW in overtime would not have been reason to break out the Dom. I love Georgi as I said, Ayo has talent but league talent not yet sorry but reality is he is not ready. AJ is why I love the college game. Trent is a very good college player and Feliz is the best guard on the team. Dispute all you want, but I think that is a very fair analysis of what we have. If we are so great why have we gone zone for the last 3 games? Reason BU realizes (finally) we cant win pressuring anybody. Let me ask you something? Were you Alive in 1989? That team pressured, this team is what it is REBUILDING! I said in the beginning I wanted to be respectful, I really enjoy watching them grow, but right now we are so far away from upper echelon it is not close. Say my post is wrong, but dispute it from facts not pure emotion of beating the worst team in the league? Love that they won really I do, but BU had a long way to go. I would start by playing more people so we can really do what it is he said he wants to do?

sacraig

The desert
Thinking Frazier's issue is Alpha Dog related, he was used to having a free reign on 3 shots, running the play, has to share more with Ayo and Feliz. I do miss him taking over games, per Gonzaga.

I don't. We've won a lot more games since he has been able to share the load, and I like winning games more that I like watching one outstanding player go bonkers in a losing effort.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Sure it was brutal, but it was really fun to be in the house to cheer Illinois onto victory in Chicago in March. The crowd was bumping at times. The clutch gene exists in these guys. Now we just need to develop a little consistency in year 2 and we are going places.

Deleted member 11196

D
He needs to take the Luther Head route and develop a three point shot between his sophomore and junior year.

I really feel sorry for Damonte. He's under a tremendous amount of pressure, and if you look at his face during the games, he looks really, really frustrated... But I have confidence he'll be a better points contributor next year.

illiniCA

DC Area
I totally respect your right to an opinion, but what is wrong with it? ....

Giorgi is really good (probably the only NBA player on the team). No way is Ayo ready for the league.

Ayo has a better shot of making the NBA. What you said is just not true but..... Giorgi was the best player on the court tonight though.

Feliz is really the best guard on the team ( hence why he is trusred to take the last shot)

Trent and Ayo are both better guards. Ayo leads the team in pts and assists and is 2nd in steals and 3rd in rebounds. Frazier leads the team in steals, is second in pts and 2nd in assists, Feliz is awesome and brings something different but he is not the best guard on the team but......... He was great tonight.

So in a vacuum looking only at todays game your comments make sense. Over the course of the season I disagree.

I don't. We've won a lot more games since he has been able to share the load, and I like winning games more that I like watching one outstanding player go bonkers in a losing effort.
Agreed just meant after 2 shots last game it seems something is up, also did you see the interview with BU, GB and Trent? He looked really tired or dead in the eyes to me.

Ayo has a better shot of making the NBA. What you said is just not true but..... Giorgi was the best player on the court tonight though.

Trent and Ayo are both better guards. Ayo leads the team in pts and assists and is 2nd in steals and 3rd in rebounds. Frazier leads the team in steals, is second in pts and 2nd in assists, Feliz is awesome and brings something different but he is not the best guard on the team but......... He was great tonight.

So in a vacuum looking only at todays game your comments make sense. Over the course of the season I disagree.
If GB gets an outside shot he's in the league no doubt, remember he's a freshman.

Deleted member 11196

D
Lots of bad words will flow from my mouth if TU gets any legitimate tick against the Hawkeyes.

BU subbed all 5 at that 4 minute break to give the guys a rest, and to calm them down a little. TU made a couple of bad moves for sure, but frankly several other players made a couple of bone-headed plays also... I think your being overly critical because he's the coaches son...

Nobody wants that. Just can't win with him taking a couple shots, last game.

Deleted member 11196

D
Writer: Was there any point at which you felt confident you were going to win the game?
Giorgi: Right after the buzzer.

HE IS THE BEST

LOL... I listened to the post game interviews, and I don't recall him making that statement...

BillyBob1

Champaign
BU subbed all 5 at that 4 minute break to give the guys a rest, and to calm them down a little. TU made a couple of bad moves for sure, but frankly several other players made a couple of bone-headed plays also... I think your being overly critical because he's the coaches son...

Didn’t the game continue without any whistles until 1st tv timeout?

Deleted member 11196

D
Didn’t the game continue without any whistles until 1st tv timeout?

Yes... that first tv timeout. When they came back on the court all 5 starters were out. I think they only played about 3 1/2 minutes until a foul, but they were in there - TU, KN, DLR, AG & Feliz ... I'm pretty sure.

Do you think Trent would get his confidence back, if BU gave him green light and said "look for Ayo and Feliz when you need them, but I trust you to create on offense?"

I do think some people need to be the alpha to do well, and Trent might be one of those guys. I think a lot of "alpha-type" dialogue moved toward Ayo after the turn of the calendar year. I never saw the reasoning behind that kind of talk. Ayo looks great in transition, he "isn't afraid to miss" shots with the game on the line (give him credit there), and he has made some big shots, but Ayo cannot be the alpha on offense when he can't create his own shot in the half court. Trent is the guy who can do that, the same way Ray Rice was that guy. Ayo, to me, will not be the alpha for this team next year (or for any team he plays for after that). I think there are a ton of points for Ayo and Feliz, if they play off what Trent does.

Didn’t he just drop 21?