Illinois 74, Northwestern 69 OT POSTGAME

Deleted member 746317

D
Didn’t he just drop 21?
Yes ... but it occurred (again) when Ayo wan't producing. The thread on the discussion about Trent confidence (or maybe decisiveness is more accurate; hard to tell from a distance) is that Trent's confidence/decisiveness has seemed lower for quite while and Trent and Ayo do not seem to have strong games at the same time. Trent still seems ready to step up gamely when it's clear that others are not, but if Trent's confidence or assertiveness is going to be up and down "reactive"/dependent on others, then we won't be getting full value from Trent and won't be consistently good

Deleted member 746317

D
I was just able to listen to BU postgame comments. Two of the reporters zeroed in on Trent confidence/assertiveness issue -- BU missed the point of the first reporter question and answered the second reporter by saying Trent's balance of assertiveness/decision making was "just right" tonight and they need to keep Trent on that trajectory.

The question for me is whether Trent can play Trent's game without being distracted by Ayo's presence. For what it's worth, I don't see Ayo or Feliz being thrown off by what Trent does/doesn't do.

I'm fully behind Trent, too. He's led by example, been a cheerleader for the school, the team and even the coach. He was so excited to come here, and I think his best basketball memories will come from his time in C-U, regardless of what post-college play might be coming his way. I think Trent can be/needs to be the emotional leader of this team, in the way that Dee Brown was for his team. Ayo and Feliz can figure out how to approximate Deron/Luther, etc.

And, I'm beginning to think Ayo has been distracted/emotionally impacted by realization that one-and-done is not really the right trajectory for him. I think he couldn't help but be distracted by thoughts of NBA set against mounting evidence that he needs to stay another year in college. I think his goal was to have one great year here and then move on. I think he's made real effort to play at a high level every game, but I think it was impossible for him not to lose some energy as the season started to wind down and the step to NBA became less obvious.

I hope the fact that his year here has been good but not great for Ayo and Trent makes them both determined to return and kick it up next year.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I was afraid going into the season that Trent and Ayo would not mesh together well. I think they have done as well as we could expect. Maybe this is too simplistic but they both seem like the same type of player with similar skill sets. Trent ran the show last season and did a lot of the scoring from the guard position as well, and Ayo was put in that position this year and Trent had some trouble finding his role imo.

Deleted member 626650

D
For me it's hard to get too excited about the win. We played uninspired basketball against the worst team in the B1G without their go to player. 5 good minutes of overtime doesn't negate the horrible display of basketball for the other 40 minutes of that game. Still unimpressed and unsure of BU going forward.

Losing both Feliz and Ayo after next year will hurt.
For me it's hard to get too excited about the win. We played uninspired basketball against the worst team in the B1G without their go to player. 5 good minutes of overtime doesn't negate the horrible display of basketball for the other 40 minutes of that game. Still unimpressed and unsure of BU going forward.
Saving it for later. Didn't mean Blue Leader.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_4c8f829e-a6f1-5b0e-9e04-0689a98313d7.html

Bezhanishvili scored 26 points, Trent Frazier added 21, including the go-ahead 3-pointer late, and Illinois rallied for a 74-69 overtime victory against Northwestern on Wednesday night in the opening round of the Big Ten tournament.

Andres Feliz had 11 points and a career-high 10 rebounds as Illinois (12-20) won for just the second time in seven games.
“I was just really excited,” Bezhanishvili said. “I so was confident in my guys because I knew they would leave it all out there. I felt like we were going to win the game and we did.

When the teams played on Mar. 3 in Champaign, Pardon, a senior, had the best of the matchup with Bezhanishvili. The freshman’s turnaround on Wednesday — he was 12 for 15 from the field — is indicative of the way he improved in the second half of the season.
“To go do that on this stage at this moment ... he’s light years from where he was,” Underwood said.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
I have an idea. Sit Williams, Kipper and ADLR!

I hate to add Williams to that mix, but I have to agree. You have to see what they can do with serious tick. I do believe that Griffin is getting after it more on defense, I would just like to see them get him some open looks, he can stroke it. I also want to see Tevian given the opportunity to do some slashing, when he's in he might as well start a fire and make some smores over in the corner.

It will be interesting to see where Giorgi is next year. I'm betting he will develop an outside shot and play the four. If he does, he is a future NBA player. Should be really difficult to defend two players with post moves as Kofi will also be a load in the post.

I have an idea. Sit Williams, Kipper and ADLR!
Why Da'monte has not progressed his game baffles me. He could be our most talented player, but seems to have confidence issues and lacks the will / tenacity to take over a game. Would love to see him take it to the next level. He has the potential to be an outstanding player in the league and nationally...i feel as if he's forgotten that about himself.

Last edited:

IlliniTarHeel

Topsail, NC
In my opinion the issue with Trent and Ayo is that the both have said that who has the hot hand they try to get him the ball. That mindset doesn't allow for both of them to look for their shot. Having a guy with a hot hand is nice but it would be better if they both were just consistent each game.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Quite the back and forth game. Kept me on the edge of my seat all night.
Pretty exciting.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I noticed that DW didn't play in the OT...coincidence or........................

drsmitty74

Rochester
Does ANYONE have a clip of when ADLR took the charge (push off) from the little guy half his size, and the camera pans to Underwood, and it's all he can do to contain his laughter? I have tried to find it today with no luck.

Why Da'monte has not progressed his game baffles me. He could be our most talented player, but seems to have confidence issues and lacks the will / tenacity to take over a game. Would love to see him take it to the next level. He has the potential to be an outstanding player in the league and nationally...i feel as if he's forgotten that about himself.

DMW does alot of little things very well, but not one singular thing great...that said he was uber talented compared to most in HS, and a step behind in college due to injury imo. All things considered, I think he is what we need more often than not on the court. Whom else do we have that can do what he does as far as for the team (AJ). DMW does not have to "star" for us, we don't need him too...many other teams would love to have him, I am glad he is an ILLINI.

Frazier is banged up. His feet/ankles have been issues all year. Basketball is rough, it doesn't give a player time to heal up and then it keeps happening. Last night, when he was going around screens you could see him baby-ing his left shoulder.

When the season is over, he'll probably not shoot a basketball for a month. He'll be in full recovery mode.

Atgers

Birmingham, AL
Just finished watching the game. Recorded it on Hulu but the recording stopped with a second left in regulation. Glad to see they won!

I really feel sorry for Damonte. He's under a tremendous amount of pressure, and if you look at his face during the games, he looks really, really frustrated... But I have confidence he'll be a better points contributor next year.

I agree on the pressure. I can’t help but root for the kid, being HRF’s son. Can’t be easy to try and follow in dad’s footsteps here.

LJ22

Chicago, IL
BU subbed all 5 at that 4 minute break to give the guys a rest, and to calm them down a little. TU made a couple of bad moves for sure, but frankly several other players made a couple of bone-headed plays also... I think your being overly critical because he's the coaches son...

That is why I said legitimate. I don't think subbing in briefly is terrible, unless that sub leads TU to turn the ball over again on an inbound play. I'd also rather see Jones and Griffin get more chances and only use TU as a last resort. In my mind, he deserves a little bit more scrutiny.