Illinois 74, Northwestern 69 OT POSTGAME

I get playing TU over Tev, they have a different skillset, but you're telling me TU needs to get tick over: AJ, Trent, Ayo, Feliz, and Griffin? I still find it hard to believe he's better than those guys, and its not like they all play 30+ minutes a game. I understand this is nitpicking, but 6 minutes isn't insignificant. No, TU playing isn't our main issue, but you cant tell me its a positive. If he could even shoot 25% from three, or something like 35% from the floor, I'd shut up, but his offensive game is so limited I cringe everytime he touches the ball in the half court.

DMW does alot of little things very well, but not one singular thing great...that said he was uber talented compared to most in HS, and a step behind in college due to injury imo. All things considered, I think he is what we need more often than not on the court. Whom else do we have that can do what he does as far as for the team (AJ). DMW does not have to "star" for us, we don't need him too...many other teams would love to have him, I am glad he is an ILLINI.
100% agree. A team is only going to get so many shots in a game. Who should lose shots for him to take more. He, like AJ, does some truly awesome positive things for this team. On another angle, I will say that we need to completely reverse the ball more. We will start to reverse it but, it always seems to stop at the top of the key. I don't mind it stopping when that player is hot but, our shooters on the wing would get far more open shots if we made that second pass.

DMW does alot of little things very well, but not one singular thing great...that said he was uber talented compared to most in HS, and a step behind in college due to injury imo. All things considered, I think he is what we need more often than not on the court. Whom else do we have that can do what he does as far as for the team (AJ). DMW does not have to "star" for us, we don't need him too...many other teams would love to have him, I am glad he is an ILLINI.

I am glad DMW is an Illini too....I guess what i'm saying is....maybe he doesn't have to be a star for us....but I still think he has the potential to be. Everyone (including Da'Monte) seems to have forgotten that. Why relegate him to "role player" when he can be so much more? I'm not giving up on that and I hope he hasn't either and finds his groove and confidence.

I get playing TU over Tev, they have a different skillset, but you're telling me TU needs to get tick over: AJ, Trent, Ayo, Feliz, and Griffin? I still find it hard to believe he's better than those guys, and its not like they all play 30+ minutes a game. I understand this is nitpicking, but 6 minutes isn't insignificant. No, TU playing isn't our main issue, but you cant tell me its a positive. If he could even shoot 25% from three, or something like 35% from the floor, I'd shut up, but his offensive game is so limited I cringe everytime he touches the ball in the half court.
I don't see putting TU in the game at that point. You are looking for points and you make that substitution? I think he can contribute but, we desperately needed scorers at that time in the game.

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona
I’d love to see the posters who believe they’re better than the BEST coaches in the world - men who have devoted their lives to their craft - get a crack at it & just get absolutely demolished in every game.

Deleted member 746317

D
I am glad DMW is an Illini too....I guess what i'm saying is....maybe he doesn't have to be a star for us....but I still think he has the potential to be. Everyone (including Da'Monte) seems to have forgotten that. Why relegate him to "role player" when he can be so much more? I'm not giving up on that and I hope he hasn't either and finds his groove and confidence.
I agree with all of the recent posts on DMW pointing out his positives and potential.The following points are all true at the same time:
  • DMW can help (and has helped) us. Playing good D, getting rebounds, etc. His value adds have had a lot in common with AJ's.
  • Everyone wants him to have success, to play somewhere near his potential and to feel good about what he brings and his time spent as ILLINI.
  • If/when DMW is fully healthy, it looks (to many of us) like he has potential to do more than he has so far. [Doesn't mean he hasn't helped so far; not intended as criticism.]
  • You can only have so many role players with similar value contributions on the floor at one time. [This is what I've heard most people saying; DMW should in no way be compared to ADLR (who also seems like a good egg, but just is not physically capable).]
  • If we have two guards on the floor who are confident and proactive in their offense at the same time (see the issue of getting two of Trent/Ayo/Dre going at the same time), and we also have GB producing in the middle at the same time, then we absolutely could have/could benefit from DMW and AJ on the floor together (getting rebounds and shooting the spot up 3's or slashing when the flow calls for it).
  • If one of the guards we have on the floor is not producing on offense, then we have a problem having only one guard and GB producing points/demanding defensive attention (and heaven forbid GB has to go to the bench). If only one of the guards is producing on offense (but is still bringing us ball handling and passing, so you have to keep him on the floor), then only one of the AJ/DMW/AG types should be on the floor - one of those similar role guys has to be replaced by TJ or another 4'ish type player who poses a serious offensive threat.
DMW looks like he has been a good teammate, has worked hard, has done good things for the team -- and we are no doubt better for having had him. I think DMW will be at least a little better next year and will help us. If he turns out to be a lot better, then yeah! for him and us.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of talk about DMW. I will say that I am sometimes underwhelmed at his contributions, but at least he is playable, and shows ability. He would look a whole lot better on a team that didn't need him to be good, if that makes sense. We aren't good enough to make him look like that solid glue guy. If our other 4 positions contribute regularly, then a guy like DMW is great to have. When you need/want more from multiple positions, then ehhhh.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Based on BUs comments on this after the game, playing TU is a direct message to Tev and Giff on what they need to do in practice EVERY DAY. He is a smart coach, he knows that Tev and Giff are better players. He has confidence that TU can run the right sets and be in the right spots and reward a walk-on for hard work every day in practice. But it is much more about what he is not seeing from the other 2.

201154JC

Rockford, IL
A lot of talk about DaMonte because it's an issue. He rebounds well for a guard, however, he's not a great defender and no threat on offense.
I am pulling for him as much as anyone as I had ACL reconstruction as well and his Dad is one of my favorite players of all time. Coming off the
bench might be the best option for now until he finds his shot.

Deleted member 11196

D

Look, I don't think TU should get 'tick' over any scholarship player.... That's NOT what I was responding to. Plus I believe your statement is misleading. TU didn't get playing time over AJ, or Ayo, or Trent or Feliz and AG. He was subbed in with Feliz, Griffin, DLR, and (? - I've forgotten). He was subbed in for his (supposed) defense. He knows what the coach wants. Feliz, Griffin were subbed to provide the offense. After all, in that 1st first 4 min. segment, Giorgi was the ONLY offense. As I said, YES he made some bone-headed mistakes, but so did Kipper, so did Ayo, so did DLR... The first 4 minutes was a sprint to try to wear down NW, and I think (JMHO) that BU subbed them to give them a rest, so they could keep their legs fresh.. TU was just there for defense. I don't think anyone on the coaching staff is expecting him to score. AGAIN: I don't like it, I'm just saying that THAT is the way it is...

Deleted member 11196

D
A lot of talk about DaMonte because it's an issue. He rebounds well for a guard, however, he's not a great defender and no threat on offense.
I am pulling for him as much as anyone as I had ACL reconstruction as well and his Dad is one of my favorite players of all time. Coming off the
bench might be the best option for now until he finds his shot.

He had one block - not a lot, but one more than 70% of the rest of the team, and 3 rebounds.. You're right, he's not performing well offensively - He did have one really good open look which missed, and I think that further hurt him because he never really wanted the ball again. But he does bring other talents to the table.... I think everyone just wants him to be more like 'dad' and that's a huge problem IMHO... It's a tough cross to bear.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I want DW to be as good as he can be...what I see is a season of non production at the expense of equally talented or better freshman ,AG and TJ, and all the intangibles don't make up for 3 ppg or 2 rpg...If he was averaging 6-7 rpg and actually playing good D then OK.....But he;s not...period ....

And if BU keeps trying to make practice the wherewithall for playing time then he might be doing those 6am practices at another place....The AG I see on the court is busting his azz all the time...I see his TO's but I also see DW's TO;s and AG can actually knock down a 3pter ....Tev and the 18 pt game against Maryland was better in that 1 game than DW's all season long....

Again, I want DW to succeed and thrive as an Illini, but I'm not seeing starter mins and 10 mins per game at best, right now....Maybe he still is worried about his knee and I understand that as well......But instead of starting him every game I would have started AG and TJ instead and maybe, just maybe, DW could have starred in a role player for the team....

It's a moot point now but if Dw is still producing at the same level next season as he is this season , I hope BU recognizes what needs to be done...
And practice is just that.....PRACTICE.....

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
TU is not getting minutes because he's better than other options, TU is getting minutes because BU is building a program. He's not building a game, a half, a stat sheet, or even a season at this point. He's rebuilding the Big Orange Family, as Giorgi put it. If you aren't earning his trust in practice...every day....you aren't going to get the minutes you might otherwise. He's sending a message to the current players as well as future recruits. You better be ready to work.
This is my system, if you aren't all in, take the train.

The problem is not AJ or DW. Our problem is also not offense. The lack of a second big who can help protect the rim and rebound is our problem. Especially when we are playing a team with two effective big men. I am happy not to hear BU say we don't need a big man and have two big men coming in as recruits. I truly appreciate the job AJ has done playing out of position and don't think he gets enough credit for the beating he takes.

In my opinion the issue with Trent and Ayo is that the both have said that who has the hot hand they try to get him the ball. That mindset doesn't allow for both of them to look for their shot. Having a guy with a hot hand is nice but it would be better if they both were just consistent each game.

There are only so many shots in a game, and there are three other guys on the court with them. If Giorgi and Feliz are scoring as well that doesn't leave a whole lot more available for the two of them. They average about 28 points between them which I would call pretty good considering that is for two thirds of the back court. With Feliz we are getting 36 points/game from the 1 and 2 - basically half our points. If our back court scored any greater percentage of our points, don't think other teams would have to bother with defending our front court. As it is, teams choose who they are going to focus on and try and stop (Ayo, Trent Giorgi, ...), and the other guys have to pick up the slack. Sometimes it will be one of those guys, sometimes another.

Last edited:

CAIllini

West Coast
Just finished watching the game. Recorded it on Hulu but the recording stopped with a second left in regulation. Glad to see they won!

I feel your pain as that's the worst!

FYI, YouTubeTV has done a great job this year of automatically extending game recordings till the game is over. Much better than Comcast/Xfinity prior as I would always get pissed their automated solution didn't work and end up manually extending which is a hassle....

I completely agree with this. One thing I noticed as the season has gone on is that his decision making has actually gotten worse. One of his strengths early on is that he played smart and didn’t make many foolish plays. Now he has struggled offensively and is pressing quite a bit leading to plays like the ill-advised long bounce pass on the fast break. He is still just a sophomore and living in the shadow of his dad. I agree that he needs to really work on his shot during the off season. He hasn’t reached his potential but I am still optimist he can get there.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
TU is not getting minutes because he's better than other options, TU is getting minutes because BU is building a program. He's not building a game, a half, a stat sheet, or even a season at this point. He's rebuilding the Big Orange Family, as Giorgi put it. If you aren't earning his trust in practice...every day....you aren't going to get the minutes you might otherwise. He's sending a message to the current players as well as future recruits. You better be ready to work.
This is my system, if you aren't all in, take the train.

So practice production against each other is more important than game production against other teams?.......Really ?

If DW is so much better than AG and TJ in practice , then why is he so non productive in games ?

So, DW is earning his trust in practice...When will he start earning starter minutes in games ?

This the last I will post about DW as I really want him to play like some have described him in playing in HS.....And I know his injuries have sidetracked his developement, but he has had 2 years now " in the system " and we need more from him...watch him in the game tonight and really analyze his posture on the court and see if he is involving himself in the offense , more than that silly weave which wastes the shot clock and causes us to heave a 30 footer some times...

I'm ready to hear our name called out on selection Sunday , not wait for next year and all the excuses that are getting very lame....

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
So practice production against each other is more important than game production against other teams?.......Really ?

If DW is so much better than AG and TJ in practice , then why is he so non productive in games ?

So, DW is earning his trust in practice...When will he start earning starter minutes in games ?

This the last I will post about DW as I really want him to play like some have described him in playing in HS.....And I know his injuries have sidetracked his developement, but he has had 2 years now " in the system " and we need more from him...watch him in the game tonight and really analyze his posture on the court and see if he is involving himself in the offense , more than that silly weave which wastes the shot clock and causes us to heave a 30 footer some times...

I'm ready to hear our name called out on selection Sunday , not wait for next year and all the excuses that are getting very lame....

There's nothing in my post about "practice procuction" vs. "game production". What is "practice production"? Read the sentence you quoted in my post again.

DW's play has been beaten to death. I'll let BU explain it to you in his multiple quotes about DW's game. I trust BU's 20+ years in coaching to determine who should be on the court.

Deleted member 31586

D
You think he has a better shot than Ayo? That is what was said by OP
That’s not really what I said (or implied), but I will say this if GB gets range to the 3 point line (basically a consistent jump shot), he is a better NBA prospect than Ayo. 6’10” players with his foot work and an outside game to go with it are rare. 6’5” point guards (if he can be that?) are clearly a great get for an NBA team, but much easier to find than the former. GB has the best inside game I have seen in an Illini big man since Ken Norman. He is the real deal. Never slamming on Ayo he is an NBA prospect just not after this year. Just my opinion.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
There's nothing in my post about "practice procuction" vs. "game production". What is "practice production"? Read the sentence you quoted in my post again.

DW's play has been beaten to death. I'll let BU explain it to you in his multiple quotes about DW's game. I trust BU's 20+ years in coaching to determine who should be on the court.

My point is if DW is so much better than AG or TJ in practice , why isn't he producing in games ? practice is where you try to improve your abilities and transition that to the games.....A great practice player should carry some of that over to the court and earn his minutes on the court....if all you can do is wow in practice and struggle in games, I believe the W-L record ON THE COURT counts more than practice.......
I see an average player getting more tick than other more talented players.....JMHO, and we need every bit of production we can get being in a power 5 conference and a brutal schedule this season....

maybe practice results vs, game results would have been a better analogy but I thought everyone would understand what I was alluding to.....

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
My point is if DW is so much better than AG or TJ in practice , why isn't he producing in games ? practice is where you try to improve your abilities and transition that to the games.....A great practice player should carry some of that over to the court and earn his minutes on the court....if all you can do is wow in practice and struggle in games, I believe the W-L record ON THE COURT counts more than practice.......
I see an average player getting more tick than other more talented players.....JMHO, and we need every bit of production we can get being in a power 5 conference and a brutal schedule this season....

maybe practice results vs, game results would have been a better analogy but I thought everyone would understand what I was alluding to.....

This logic has been refuted here before. We aren't talking about 5 star, no question should be on the court talent...like Ayo. You can't stick freshman you think might be more talented on the court with more minutes if they aren't earning it by showing the talent in practice.

Again, BU has answered the questions about DW more than enough times to satisfy his minutes. He does things and brings things to the lineup that the others don't. The stats you crave aren't the only part of the game that is closely tracked by coaches.